Menu

Grammar Memory Work FLL vs. CC or both?

OrganicMom

My son is about to turn 7 and I want to begin a grammar program with him. I would like to go FLL route as I have it and it is more oral.

We are doing CC memory work at home, in the middle of cycle 2. (including some, but skipped other parts of the grammar memory work) We may join a community next year or down the road.... not sure. It would also include essentials, possibly...

My daughter did FLL 1-2 and part of level 3 before moving onto Saxon Hake Grammar 4

This might seem way over hyper focusing here, but my one hesitancy for NOT going back to FLL is the dual grammar memory work? I like the FLL memory work, I like having CC memory work on our audio tracks already... and the idea if they are apart of essentials int he future they will be prepared...but b/c i have not been down that full CC grammar program, it's hard to know why different parts are important so i just have to trust the process....but i also like FLL for my BOY who is not wanting to write and i like how FLL gets the grammar lessons done well....

Thoughts? How have you done it? How would you do it in my situation? drop which one and why? benefits or drawbacks of doing both?

ETA: one reason now for continuing with the CC memory work is for my daughters sake b/c Hake Grammar doesn't cover memory work (outside of prepositions, that i have seen so far). So she would need to review the definitions at some point with us in our FLL journey or do the CC memory work in someway...

Also, My son may switch to Hake grammar eventually too, i have no idea what we will do with him in the long run.

I would do FLL but substitute the CC lists/definitions. Does that make sense? We did the opposite: did FLL 3 just before joining CC and enrolling in Essentials. My daughter was able to pick up the CC memory work fairly easily, but still got confused at times. I think FLL is great preparation for Essentials.

• Like 1

We've had good success with FLL and are currently doing Level 3. We are also in our third year of CC memory work. So we've done FLL along with CC each year. I thought it would be better to focus on learning the CC memory work. I made a large bookmark to keep in my FLL book that listed the CC definitions/lists. The definitions and lists are pretty similar, but I didn't want my daughter (9) to have to relearn it another way later for CC. As the concept was presented in FLL, I would introduce the CC definition. For example, the definition of a verb is introduced in parts in FLL so we would learn the CC wording for the definition but break up the definition as presented in FLL. I hope that made sense! It really helped to jumpstart the CC memory work. By the time the definition for adverb and adjective rolled around in CC, my daughter had no problem.

• Like 1