Menu

A trip down Memory Lane, WTM style...

LisaKinVA

Who was the lady who was so knowledgeable about logic? She lived in CO, I think. Tina? I wish I could remember because now that my eldest ds is of age those posts would come in handy, I think.

Not sure why the boards just seem to regularly glitch for me...

It's Tina in Ouray.  I have some of her posts printed out from way back.  She now teaches at Logic at Harveycenter.org.  I won't even try to link. :-)

That's so funny--my mind instantly went to Beth when I read the logic question. But then I remembered Beth was big on Latin.  And Beth, of course, is Beth Harvey of Harvey Center.  Beth used to post here, as Beth in CO, perhaps?

Beth had a small bookstore in the town we lived in, and when her store closed, I would take my kids to her house, where she had an area set up to buy books.  I also did a group study of both IEW and Teaching the Classics with her.  Gosh, that was absolutely ages ago, in the earliest years of our schooling!

• Like 5

That's so funny--my mind instantly went to Beth when I read the logic question. But then I remembered Beth was big on Latin. And Beth, of course, is Beth Harvey of Harvey Center. Beth used to post here, as Beth in CO, perhaps?

Beth had a small bookstore in the town we lived in, and when her store closed, I would take my kids to her house, where she had an area set up to buy books. I also did a group study of both IEW and Teaching the Classics with her. Gosh, that was absolutely ages ago, in the earliest years of our schooling!

I bought books from her living room, too. :D

• Like 3

Didn't Doran start the thread juxtapositions?

I can almost recall the Galveston poster's name. She talked about how her son drank coffee (or espresso?) to help him focus.

I printed out a *bunch* of Abbeyej's math and Latin posts when my elders were much younger. They were so helpful!

I loved reading PariSarah's posts.

I think it was Doran, but she's got 2 girls.

I've got Katy in my head for Galviston Girl, but it might be she lived in Katy or it might be I'm crazy.

• Like 6

Not sure why the boards just seem to regularly glitch for me...

It's Tina in Ouray.  I have some of her posts printed out from way back.  She now teaches at Logic at Harveycenter.org.  I won't even try to link. :-)

Yes, that's right. Thank you. One mystery solved.

It's actually bugging me that I can't remember the name of the poster who lived in Galveston. (Was it actually on the Island? Does anyone remember?) I remember they rode out a hurricane and moved shortly thereafter.

Anyone remember Ester Maria? My mind was stretched in such good ways after reading her posts. 

• Like 13

It's actually bugging me that I can't remember the name of the poster who lived in Galveston. (Was it actually on the Island? Does anyone remember?) I remember they rode out a hurricane and moved shortly thereafter.

Anyone remember Ester Maria? My mind was stretched in such good ways after reading her posts.

Kimber? Was that the Galveston mama?
  • Like 2

Kimber? Was that the Galveston mama?

The Galveston mama adopted a boy into her family, although it may have been that she raised him instead of an official thing.  It seems like she called her kids Storm (the girl), and maybe Blaze (?), and I can't recall the third child.  And the oldest boy had a terrible burn/scald to recover from, after dropping a pan of pasta water on his leg.  (Goodness, we share life around here, don't we!)

A couple posts up above, someone said, "People shouldn't just be allowed to leave."   I think we need to have well-advertised virtual Alumni Reunion days twice a year, on April 1st (just for the fun of it), and October 1st.  If we set a date and everyone knows to show up that day, it would be much easier to "see and be seen" and "come visit with old friends" rather than having one old-timer show up here or there, and only have a few people recognize them.

If you all think this is a good idea, we can ask SWB if she'll endorse the idea and announce it, and then those of us who know alumni IRL or are in touch with them can let them know.

Thoughts?

• Like 17

I started homeschooling my middle daughter when she was 5 and started posting here the following year. Dd is now 20 so it's been a long time. I too remember trying to be the first poster when the new board rolled over. So many memories and so much good advice (and laughs) over the years.

• Like 6

The Galveston mama adopted a boy into her family, although it may have been that she raised him instead of an official thing.  It seems like she called her kids Storm (the girl), and maybe Blaze (?), and I can't recall the third child.  And the oldest boy had a terrible burn/scald to recover from, after dropping a pan of pasta water on his leg.  (Goodness, we share life around here, don't we!)

Carmen. 

I hope things are going well for all of them!

• Like 9

Carmen. 

YES!! <whew...second mystery solved...> Thanks for setting my feverish mind to rest.  :thumbup:  :cheers2:  (because it's after 5 where I live)

• Like 5

A couple posts up above, someone said, "People shouldn't just be allowed to leave."   I think we need to have well-advertised virtual Alumni Reunion days twice a year, on April 1st (just for the fun of it), and October 1st.  If we set a date and everyone knows to show up that day, it would be much easier to "see and be seen" and "come visit with old friends" rather than having one old-timer show up here or there, and only have a few people recognize them.

If you all think this is a good idea, we can ask SWB if she'll endorse the idea and announce it, and then those of us who know alumni IRL or are in touch with them can let them know.

Oh, I LOVE this idea so much! And I'm in touch with a  number of "alumnae" too. But...would someone volunteer to organize it? 'Cause I'm full up...

SWB

I was one of the original Draconians which started more as a joke than anything else.  Bev in B'ville managed the Social Group.  If you check out this partial list of members you'll see the names of a number of old timers.

Back in the day, someone commented about how some of us were too draconian in the demands that we placed on our kids--Latin, Calculus, and AP whatever--which led to a few chuckles.  When this version of the board was created in '08, Social Groups became a reality so Bev naturally had to start the Draconian Homeschoolers group. Bev has not been around in a number of years though so the group is not active.  Our ghost remains in the ethers though.

At the same time I declared myself the official Dolciani proselytizer.  Unfortunately the old Dolciani texts from the '60s and '70s are harder than ever to find.  I cannot begin to count the number of them that I formerly picked up at library sales and sent around the country.

First of all -- good grief!! Did this version of the board really start in '08?!  I was also around back in the good old board flipping days.  I started lurking here in 2000 when I pulled my kids out of 2nd grade and preschool, but was more active on the old Kaleidoscapes board.  Anyone remember that place?  It imploded and shut down in the early 2000s.  

I mostly lurked on the high school board when the draconian homeschoolers got their start.  At the time as I was in the midst of homeschooling my very outside-the-box high schooler, and none of those draconian subjects were going to work for him. Y'all intimidated me back then!  But I loved the wise women who frequented the board back then -- Jean in Wisc, MMV, Stacy in Canada. Jane in NC, you too!  

I, too, have been touched by the warmth and generosity of the WTM boardies.  Jane's son, the archaeologist, made a point of welcoming me and my younger son when we were visiting his college campus.  It seemed perfectly normal to him that he should meet up with someone his mom "knew" from the WTM.  My son is finishing his junior year at that same college. Kay in Cal and her husband invited this same younger son to play D&D with them, and I helped them out from time to time when Doug was in the hospital and when they packed up to move to the East Coast. We scored a few boxes of good books from them, too!!  

I'm wondering about a few other old names -- Regina in St Louis who was a former ballerina, or Colleen whose family runs an organic dairy farm in Washington state, I believe.  Colleen's older boys must be in college.  Oh and Quiver of 9 or was it 10?!  

• Like 12

I own both the WHITE and RED Kingfisher. :-)  I have to figure what I'm going to save and what I'll pass along once ds graduates in 2016.  Ongoing health issues have kept me from clearing out stuff but that will be the first order of business once ds goes off to college.  

Of course, there are several things that ds has made clear that I need to save.  

And THIS is why I love the WTM Boards. I'm actually an old timer but very, very shy. This is actually my 17th year homeschooling and I never would have made it without this board. While I still pine for the old format (I NEVER got to post first, never...), and can't quite multiple quote, my pleas for help have overwhelmingly been met with gracious, knowledgeable answers. I love my White Kingfisher and my many versions of Science Encyclopedias.  I own all of the WTM versions and have never been able to part with them (I love comparing them when I go through my annual curriculum panic). For those of us without an IRL support system for homeschooling, this board is a lifeline. Thanks to all of you who frequently post. You feel like friends in my kitchen and I am very grateful. I've gleaned recipes, book recommendations, pet information, dishwasher advice and even homeschooling tips in my years here. I don't know what I'd do without past and current posters. The ecclectic and passionate folks here have truly blessed my family's journey. Thanks to all and for those of you trotting down memory lane, thanks for sharing. You've gleaned more than a few smiles and chuckles from me. 

• Like 15

I found these boards while following a google trail for Miquon for my 4yo.  That was in 2000.  I used to be Suzanne in CA, then changed to Suzanne in ABQ when we moved in 2005.

I remember asking if it was okay to post about non-academic subjects because I wanted advice on teaching my kids to ride a bike.  We eventually developed the identifier "OT" in the subject line to indicate when we were posting "off topic".  

I remember Robin in TX and Rosemary in CO, especially the way they would intercede to help folks find common ground and see each others' perspective.  They couldn't bear to witness strife, it seems.  Rosemary called everyone "Dear".  Robin would say, "I think what she is trying to say is . . ."  

I remember when Abbey (abbeyej) posted about her crazy neighbor who kept calling the police every time her kids cried.  We met at a LINK Homeschool Conference in Pasadena not long after that, and became friends IRL. Renai became my IRL friend as well.  I met SWB and her mom and dad at the same conference.  Delores Hiskes (author of Phonics Pathways), Andrew Pudewa (IEW), Jay Wile (Apologia) and Jim Weiss were there too, all of them, personally.  The homeschooling community was so small back then.  I miss those days.

I remember when the posts showed in reverse pyramid order, from bottom to top within a thread, so you had to scroll down to a new topic, then up through the threads, then down to the next topic, etc.  It was actually an efficient way to skim through conversations, as it made it easy to see what you'd read already (color change), or if you wanted to just stay far away.  

I remember Ree's posts (so funny) and Colleen's (such conversation starters).  I remember when SWB was moderating, and she was called a Valkyrie, sweeping down from Valhalla to strike anyone who dared cause trouble on her boards.  She finally had to get someone else to moderate, so that she could spend her time writing (rather than mommy sitting us).  I remember commiserating with Patty in WA about losing our hair, and bonding with her over our mutual love of ironing (the sounds, the smell, the instant gratification of creating order out of chaos!).  

I remember being one of the first few thousand on Flylady's e-mail list.  I learned about her here, and she made such a difference in my life (my sink is mostly clear of dishes (and sort of shiny), my laundry is generally put away as soon as it comes out of the dryer -- no shoes, though).

There are so many other memories, and so much I've learned -- not just about homeschooling, but about myself and my children, about tolerance and respect.  I am so appreciative to Susan for providing this forum and to each person here who shares of their time and themselves.  This community has been a pillar to me.  This is "My Board."  You all exist just for me.  :)  

• Like 17

Okay all this nostalgia has me thinking of one poster who has not been around in forever, she had the adopted daughter with RAD, she and I talked often because my oldest's behaviours were much like her dd's but my son did not have RAD.  What was her name? I still think about her often and wonder how she and her 2 dd's are doing and if things improved with the adopted daughter or not.

• Like 3

Okay all this nostalgia has me thinking of one poster who has not been around in forever, she had the adopted daughter with RAD, she and I talked often because my oldest's behaviours were much like her dd's but my son did not have RAD. What was her name? I still think about her often and wonder how she and her 2 dd's are doing and if things improved with the adopted daughter or not.

Denisemomof4?

• Like 3

I've never, ever had a real-life homeschooling-right-now friend. The best I've managed is to have a few friends who homeschooled after I moved away from them and that's not very useful. I'm sure I never could have homeschooled this long without this board, and the internet, both for homeschooling questions and real-life questions.

I started homeschooling in Idaho about a year after I found this board, then we moved to Kyrgyzstan, two cities in Utah, Seattle, back to Kyrgyzstan in two different cities, three cities in Virginia, Guadalajara, and soon we'll be in DC and going on to Saudi Arabia. We've dealt with lonely children, so many mid-year moves, homeschooling with almost nothing, so many languages, weird laws and rules, and so much more. The people here haven't been able to answer every question I've come up with, but I don't think there's any other place online where I can find so much good advice for the crazy things I've needed to ask.

And best of all? I've found internationally mobile homeschoolers and secular LDS homeschoolers who've made me feel like I'm not entirely crazy. :)

Thank you.

• Like 14

In addition to posting occasionally on the College Board, Nan is a regular now in the Book a Week group. Eliana, Jenn, Stacia--a bunch of us old timers--have a home there.

Quoting myself since I neglected to mention Kareni who is an active BaWer and one of the wonderful people who mentored me through the college application process.  One of these days, I shall travel to meet her and say thanks in person.

• Like 5

I guess I've only been on here since 2008-but it seems longer! :001_smile:   One of the things these boards have done for me is get me hooked on Mike's Hard Lemonaide!  Does anyone remember when that's all everyone talked about???

Honestly, though, when I first started hsing and had no idea what I was doing, this was my safe haven.  Not only have I learned so much, but I have sometimes felt more comfort and understanding and compassion from members here, than anywhere in my "real" life.  I've gotten advice on everything under the sun.  So much so, that whenever I was stumped about something (anything), my mom would say "Why don't you ask your forums?"

I also spent waaaaay too much money in the classifieds, back when they were good.  (Sorry SWB  :D )  

This is the place where I used to get my daily news and find out what was going on in the world, since I never had time to watch the news back in the early days.

All in all, I'm so thankful and grateful for everyone and for the formation of this forum.  

• Like 9

First of all -- good grief!! Did this version of the board really start in '08?!  I was also around back in the good old board flipping days.  I started lurking here in 2000 when I pulled my kids out of 2nd grade and preschool, but was more active on the old Kaleidoscapes board.  Anyone remember that place?  It imploded and shut down in the early 2000s.  

I mostly lurked on the high school board when the draconian homeschoolers got their start.  At the time as I was in the midst of homeschooling my very outside-the-box high schooler, and none of those draconian subjects were going to work for him. Y'all intimidated me back then!  But I loved the wise women who frequented the board back then -- Jean in Wisc, MMV, Stacy in Canada. Jane in NC, you too!  

I, too, have been touched by the warmth and generosity of the WTM boardies.  Jane's son, the archaeologist, made a point of welcoming me and my younger son when we were visiting his college campus.  It seemed perfectly normal to him that he should meet up with someone his mom "knew" from the WTM.  My son is finishing his junior year at that same college. Kay in Cal and her husband invited this same younger son to play D&D with them, and I helped them out from time to time when Doug was in the hospital and when they packed up to move to the East Coast. We scored a few boxes of good books from them, too!!  

I'm wondering about a few other old names -- Regina in St Louis who was a former ballerina, or Colleen whose family runs an organic dairy farm in Washington state, I believe.  Colleen's older boys must be in college.  Oh and Quiver of 9 or was it 10?!  

No way, this version of the boards couldn't have started in 2008!  My dd would have been only 6, and I know it was still the old version.  Not the original, I guess, but not the current version.

• Like 3

People shouldn't be allowed to just leave.

There should be mandatory good byes & regular check ins down the road.

This should be a thing. :toetap05:

I love SWB's idea. Word can apparently get out quickly because so many came back to delete pictures when SWB posted that urgent request. 

Carmen. 

Wasn't she in Canada? I miss Stacey from Ontario. She was a stitch! She coined the term so-very-apt term boybarians and had a hilarious poem that's somewhere on a  very old computer of mine about lining up 5 different history curricula for the PERFECT history year. 

Who used to post on the high school boards, taught with Tina in Ouray and had children attend University of Dallas? Those were veterans, the  figure out how to do this classical thing from the masters moms who I learned so much from. 

Lisa

• Like 8

I guess I've only been on here since 2008-but it seems longer! :001_smile: One of the things these boards have done for me is get me hooked on Mike's Hard Lemonaide! Does anyone remember when that's all everyone talked about???

Honestly, though, when I first started hsing and had no idea what I was doing, this was my safe haven. Not only have I learned so much, but I have sometimes felt more comfort and understanding and compassion from members here, than anywhere in my "real" life. I've gotten advice on everything under the sun. So much so, that whenever I was stumped about something (anything), my mom would say "Why don't you ask your forums?"

I also spent waaaaay too much money in the classifieds, back when they were good. (Sorry SWB :D )

This is the place where I used to get my daily news and find out what was going on in the world, since I never had time to watch the news back in the early days.

All in all, I'm so thankful and grateful for everyone and for the formation of this forum.

I think Mrs. Mungo is responsible for the infatuation with Mike's :)

• Like 13

Guest laurak

I was Laura K (NC) in the early days. I started homeschooling in 2000. Frustrated with private and public school options, I saw the Well-Trained Mind book in Borders. It was the philosophy of education that I needed and wanted but never knew existed. That was the final straw... I had to jump into homeschooling, at least for a semester, and that book was my only resource. I didn't know a single homeschooler at the time! I was grateful to find the VegSource homeschooling community (I'm amazed that they're still around!) and the Well-Trained Mind board. What a comfort you all were that summer before we started... a summer full of planning and panic!

My oldest was a 2nd grader at the time. This Wednesday he graduates from college. I graduate my youngest at the end of this month, so in a few weeks I'll officially retire from homeschooling. In the midst of it I got a master's degree, myself, inspired by you other old-timer autodidacts. You'd think I'd start clearing off bookshelves by now, but no, there are always more books to own.

The homeschool world's completely different now. The internet's completely different now, for that matter. We started playing on these boards before Facebook, for crying out loud. I've lurked for many years, tempted less by potential programs and more by controversial chat topics, so it's probably better that way. 

Thank you, Susan. I'm immensely grateful for your book(s) and your boards. I couldn't have done it without you, and that's a fact.

• 2 weeks later...

I was away and just found this thread now. So, I'm coming to the nostalgia late. I have been on the boards since I first saw SWB speak in Orlando back in May 2004. I was pregnant with my youngest. I was here for the Ree love story, Ttapp, magic erasers and oxyclean, more curriculum reviews than I can count, loss of dear friends and so much kindness. My two nieces attended the convention with me in 2005 to babysit my kids. They were just teenagers then. I had no idea the impact I was making on them till I went to visit them this past April. They are both married with families now and they both, joyfully, told me that they were going to homeschool. It was a wow moment for me. One of the things I told them both was to find these boards. That the information and friendship they would find here would carry them through. I hope it stays around for a long, long time. Thanks to all of you and SWB for making this possible.

• Like 18

In addition to posting occasionally on the College Board, Nan is a regular now in the Book a Week group. Eliana, Jenn, Stacia--a bunch of us old timers--have a home there.

I peek in on those threads occasionally just to see what you all are talking about and to make sure you and Nan are still around! :D

I was Laura K (NC) in the early days.

I remember you!  That's because I remember a huge thread you started about "where are the classical homeschoolers" lol.  I loved the spunk you showed in your OP.

OK, here is my sappy WTM board story.  I read the original WTM book in the early 2000s when I was planning for homeschooling.  I could not imagine doing "all that work" with my then-toddler/preschooler, lol.  Move forward to 2004 after I'd taught him to read, and I had NO CLUE what to plan for Grade One.  Back to the WTM book from the library, and then on to order a copy for myself when I realized, "Hey, I like the idea of all this reading and narration and copywork!  I can do this!"  It was the ONLY homeschooling book out of the tons that I read that made real practical sense to me.  It also held my hand.

I think I found the forums in late 2004 or so.  Since I'm on AST, I was never up late enough to be "first," hahaha!  But I quickly got addicted to reading the forums obsessively.  I don't remember when I made my first post, but it was MONTHS if not years before I worked up the courage to do so.  I was so scared to hit "post" that first time, lol.  But it didn't take me long to get completely involved in posting, lol.

Between the WTM books/its resources and the forums, I forged my way through planning out an educational path for both of my kids who are now 17 and 14.  I could name SO MANY posters who've helped me over the years, but the three top ones who come to mind again and again are Jane in NC, Nan in Mass, and Kathy in Richmond.  You three have propped me up so many times when it comes to educating as well as I can on a shoestring.  But, so have so many others of you old-timers and contemporaries (like elegantlion!  You've inspired me so much!!!).  All the great educational discussions, and all the posts answering the nitpicky questions about specific curriculum like Latin and math (the scariest ones for me).

We have DEF. IN. ITE. LY had our ups and downs over the years.  And I have definitely let go of a lot of preconceived ideas (Latin all the way through Henle's Fourth Year!  DS made it through Second Year.  I let DD give up after First Year.  I think Latin has still had a positive effect on their brains, starting with Prima Latina!  I don't regret making them stick with it for awhile after it became un-fun after Latina Christiana II.).  But I didn't give up on core basics such as grammar, composition, spelling, reading, and math.  And mostly-systematically-but-meandering-too reading through history/literature and science.  Both kids are very different learners and have very different interests in life, but I see now that both kids are equipped, just as SWB said in the WTM book, with particular mental tools that will serve them well for the rest of their lives.  DS is leaning towards doing something in the areas of math/science/computers, and DD is learning towards something in the arts/language/social arenas.

For all of this, I am very grateful to Susan and her mother for starting (reviving?) a revolution.

I feel like I'm not mentioning any of the funny or memorable stories from the boards - I remember them as people mention them, but what stands out the most to me is that this has been a true support place for me over the years as a home-educating mother - I had NO ONE to talk to about this stuff when my kids were little - most homeschoolers I knew were unschoolers.  Well, I guess some other things I remember here is talks about what other Moms would do after they were done homeschooling, and talks about church and faith that REALLY helped me through some difficult times in recent years in our church experience.

I've been blessed to meet quite a few boardies over the years!  I attended the WTM 10th anniversary conference in 2009 and met quite a few there.  One of them, Stacy in Mass (sp?), hung out with me the whole time and we had a Thai dinner together on the night the conf. ended.  I also got to meet Carol in Cal., one of my boardie heros.  We ended up on an airplane together, too, so we chatted on board and then at the next airport!  Super fun.  My family and I spent a night at Jane in NC's cottage a few summers ago - Jane and I had SO MUCH fun laughing about some of the board craziness going on at the time, lol!!! (No, I will not reveal what, lol)  And I met The Boy Archeologist.  That same summer, I discovered that Nan in Mass was vacationing at a cottage not a half-hour from my mother's house while I was there - we met up for two hours of talktalktalkasmuchaswecan.  I got to meet two of her boys.  And I once spent two hours with 8FilltheHeart. And I've since met other boardies who live somewhat near me. And I've turned a good friend of mine into a board addict after introducing her to the WTM book - Yes, you KNOW who you are - I'm looking at you, mother of five gorgeous children!  :D  This chick has befriended me and supported me through some tumultuous times in recent years.  She's another smarty whom I am blessed to know, and who, I am sure, will end up being a huge support to other boardies in the earlier stages of homeschooling.

OK, now I'm rambling.  Anyway, very grateful boardie here.

Colleen

• Like 14

Oh my gosh...for the first time a conversation is making me feel *young* instead of old! Thank you, ladies!  :D

(My profile says I joined in 2010, but I really thought it was earlier than that...)  Can't imagine life without the board.  I'm always talking about "someone on the homeschool forum said... " in general conversation!  

I have an only, so I will be done with HS when she is done, but I will definitely still need the conversation!

Oh, and homeschooling high school?  Never in a million years would I have had the courage or the resources without this board!

• Like 5

I think I just visited and read the old boards for years. since I never posted, I never had to worry about being first. I do remember those first posts though.

I did buy curriculum from that section.

When I decided to homeschool, TWTM was one of the first books I read about homeschooling. I checked it out from the library. I liked it so much, my husband bought it for me for a gift. I remember it recommended Abeka math for elementary school, and that is the one piece of curriculum I have used for all my kids.

I wandered into the general board after my husband died, and I was seeking assurance it was possible to homeschool as a widowed mom of many. I found that assurance, and I continued to homeschool. I have also accepted my limitations and sent the kids to school, when I think that will be better.

I appreciate a place to get other opinions when I am struggling or wondering something, last fall, I typed out a long complicated note asking advice on something. Of course, the computer ate it, and it never posted. however, In typing out the problem, I realized what the hive would suggest. I implemented that and solved the problem.

• Like 9

Wasn't she in Canada? I miss Stacey from Ontario. She was a stitch! She coined the term so-very-apt term boybarians and had a hilarious poem that's somewhere on a  very old computer of mine about lining up 5 different history curricula for the PERFECT history year

Stacey is now RobinL in Canada, although the last time she visited WTM was 3 years agoĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I think her youngest boybarian graduated last year?? Two years ago?? I know she was part of the parent/teaching of the Dundas Valley Junior Co-op; the most recent post by Robin that I could find was April 2013...

• Like 3

I just checked my profile and it says member since 2010, but I know I've been around longer. I'm not sure if I was just lurking or if when I changed my name it rebooted. I bought my first copy of TWTM around 2004 when my oldest was 2 or 3. It is still my homeschool Bible. I did upgrade to the second edition, but have yet to go for the third. 

I remember Peela and Remudamom. And Mrs. Mungo, whom I haven't seen around lately. I do remember the boards looking different, but I can't remember when they changed. 

I've gone in fits and starts - sometimes neglecting the boards for months and then jumping back in. I have received more compassion and good advice here than I can say. You guys are so fantastic! There's no way I could have gotten this far without you.  :blush:

• Like 4

This has been wonderful to read.   :)

I started homeschooling in 1999 (or was it 2000? ;) ).  I'm not exactly sure when I started visiting the boards but I do remember when the board would flip.   I used to spend a lot of time on the FIAR boards and a little here.  You all scared me!  :laugh:

I haven't contributed much, but you all have blessed my life over the years.  Thank you!

• Like 5

I read the first WTM book when my oldest was almost 5. Someone IRL showed it to me, and I knew immediately it would be the most important book of our homeschool journey. 

I remember finding the old boards and being thrilled that there were people out there discussing grammar and how to teach Latin. I only read back then--my kids were so young.

I've learned so much here! 

I haven't seen JenniferinMI or Ibbygirl around lately. I'm terrible at remembering names, but I remember details about people--someone moved to Malaysia and adopted a daughter. Someone else was remodeling their kitchen and their neighbor cut down their hedge.

Something will happen in my life and it will immediately make me think of someone here. Happens all the time.

• Like 4

There was a relatively small group of us who regularly participated in the high school threads on the old, old boards.  Newcomers were welcome but I must confess that I quickly grew tired of the parents of preschoolers who were doing twelve or fifteen years of lesson planning and hence consulted us

What can I say? I like to have a plan. :lol:

I posted very rarely from 2006 until the format changed from the flipping boards. They did my eyesight in.

I miss Peela. I always loved her profile pic with the big flower in her hair.  So pretty.

I bought 'Our Island Story' off her last week.

I haven't seen JenniferinMI or Ibbygirl around lately. I'm terrible at remembering names, but I remember details about people--someone moved to Malaysia and adopted a daughter.

Heather moved to Malaysia, and Ibbygirl is busy, busy, busy. When that girl gets to heaven, she's going to sit down for five minutes, then put some beans on to cook and start painting the bathrooms or something.

• Like 11

• 3 months later...