Menu

So this happened today.

BlsdMama

Our dog loses his MIND when a delivery is made.

He is normally the most patient, long suffering creature you've ever met. But, add any kind of delivery vehicle, and he is certifiable.

So, normally I keep track of incoming packages via text. That controls FedEx and UPS and then he's locked away.

Shortly after we moved here we figured out he can't handle the USPS guy delivering. So we went to the USPS and filled out a card and told them we don't want deliveries. Just leave a card in the mailbox and we will come into town and get it.

Sigh.

Our mail man. I know he was just trying to be nice because, well, he IS nice. But they've ignored the request.

Today we had a sub. She drove up to the house. Legend bit her tires destroying two of them.

We helped her change the one that was popped, bought her two new tires, and she was very nice.

But how do I convince them they really are NOT doing me a "favor" by delivering?

This is a small, very friendly, rural community. I don't want hard feelings nor do I want to be sassy. But he will totally do it again and frankly I don't feel like paying next time. :(. Sad. Frustrated.

ETA: we have an underground fence running the full perimeter of our acreage. The mailbox is several feet from the perimeter. They can deliver envelopes and small packages without being bothered. The problem is when they drive up to the house. :(

Or, the problem is the dog...Like it or not, you have a potentially dangerous dog that is not satisfactoryly kept in a manner that will keep people safe from him. You need to consider ways to contain the dog other than just the invisible fence. I would suggest that, at the least, you move the invisible fence so that it is possible to drive to your house and arrive at your door without the dog being able to access the vehicle or the person. If you can have it strictly on the rear of your home, that would be best. In addition, you should probably put up a real fence to make sure the dog is contained properly. Invisible fences are dangerous. They give the owner a false sense of security that their dog is contained. At the least, you need a fence along the front of the invisible fence so that the dog does not forget where the new line is drawn. He is going to be more willing to take the shock and break the new boundary because he considers the front yard to be part of his territory.

• Like 18

While I do agree with the pp that the dog is a dangerous threat that should be contained... I would make a point to flag down your driver and remind him personally NOT to deliver. "I wanted to let you know we filled the form at the P.O. requesting you leave packages at the P.O. that really is best for our family. If I didn't file the correct paperwork, can you let me know? Thanks for understanding. And would you please make sure your sub knows?"

This assumes your small, rural community works similar to mine. My regular delivery man puts my packages at my kitchen table on days I'm not at home (we know him). One sub leaves then inside the back door (appreciated), the sub that hangs then from the mailbox? Not sure yet what to do about her...

• Like 2

This extends beyond getting the post office to stop delivering IMO.  Would your dog do this if another truck drove up?  That is really scary.  I would find a way to keep the dog away from where vehicles would naturally be pulling up to your house.  This could be a huge liability issue.

• Like 3

No. He does it to no one else.

Ladies I don't WANT anyone to be able to just walk up and into my house. What is the point of having a German shepherd living out in a rural location?

I want people to stay in their car. And they do.

We've been here for a year. He does not cross the boundary.

• Like 5

And we've had him for six. He's not dangerous frankly else he wouldn't be around my kids. I'm not stupid but thanks for the benefit of the doubt.

There is a world of difference between a dog that hates delivery vehicles and a dangerous, dominant, or fearful dog. He is none of the three.

• Like 4

And we've had him for six. He's not dangerous frankly else he wouldn't be around my kids. I'm not stupid but thanks for the benefit of the doubt.

There is a world of difference between a dog that hates delivery vehicles and a dangerous, dominant, or fearful dog. He is none of the three.

I hope my posts didn't come across that way, Kelly -- I was just thinking maybe you could keep him in the house so you wouldn't have to worry about the mail truck. I wasn't thinking he was dangerous. I figured he was being protective of your family.

• Like 1

Respectfully, you think he is not dangerous. The behavior exhibited today shows otherwise. (Disclaimer: I'd say my sister's dog is dangerous, based on the fact that he's bitten DH twice. She would disagree.)

Frankly, if I knew this about someone's dog, and I needed to be on their property, I would ask that the dog is contained. After my experiences with my sister's dog, I take no chances and don't care if it bothers dog owners that I would make such a request. The safety of my family and I are more important.

I think you need to come up with a way to contain the dog. Period. Sometimes a sub mail driver (and even the regular mail person) will make mistakes. And if this is a concern, it is your responsibility to prevent it from happening.

• Like 6

Did you discuss with the sub postal person your request for next time?  Since obviously you can show good reason for checking next time which houses on her route might have that request... :)

Is it possible to post a permanent sign at the beginning of the drive way, at the mailbox?

And I would write a letter to the post office explaining as nicely as possible that you are again requesting that NO delivery of mail be made to the house and all packages be either left at the mailbox or a notice left for you to pick up at the post office.  

Would there be any possibility of putting fencing across the front, along with a keypad controlled electronic gate?

And I agree, the other option might be to just get a P.O. Box and not have anything at all delivered to the house.

Good luck.

• Like 4

Given what you have, I would post a fairly large sign that says "No Deliveries to House".  Right at the end of your driveway and possibly also at the mail box (if that's not close to the driveway).   Something large and visible to make sure the carrier doesn't try again.

• Like 12

It's not a pain. We're only a mile out of town. The regular mail guy delivers to us because he feels comfortable with Legend. I'd rather he not, but I know he's trying to be nice. :(

Ladies, I want to clarify. It is a vehicle issue. The dog likes the carriers themselves. As long as the vehicle is still he's fine. Rolling tires (prey drive) make him excited. Excited NOT aggressive though I understand the misunderstanding considering people hear bite and assume aggression. He's tickled when this happens. Tail wagging and waiting.

I don't know WHY delivery vehicles. All I can think of is the sound of the vehicle is different? He was exercised as a puppy with a four wheeler and the sound of ATVs excites him to NO end. (He's bitten a hole in Dad's ATV as well.)

I'm hoping that will clarify the aggression concerns. He's a lot of things, but fearful, dominant, aggressive, etc are not those.

• Like 7

Did you discuss with the sub postal person your request for next time? Since obviously you can show good reason for checking next time which houses on her route might have that request... :)

Is it possible to post a permanent sign at the beginning of the drive way, at the mailbox?

And I would write a letter to the post office explaining as nicely as possible that you are again requesting that NO delivery of mail be made to the house and all packages be either left at the mailbox or a notice left for you to pick up at the post office.

Would there be any possibility of putting fencing across the front, along with a keypad controlled electronic gate?

And I agree, the other option might be to just get a P.O. Box and not have anything at all delivered to the house.

Good luck.

I like the idea of the sign, and maybe an oversized mailbox next to it so delivery people can put packages in it.

• Like 6

A dog that destroys two tires is *something*.  I'm glad it was just tires this time, and I hope it's never a human.

If I were you, I would put a sign at the end of the driveway declaring you have a dangerous dog and there should be no deliveries.

• Like 2

A dog that destroys two tires is *something*. I'm glad it was just tires this time, and I hope it's never a human.

If I were you, I would put a sign at the end of the driveway declaring you have a dangerous dog and there should be no deliveries.

'Cept of course I'd be lying, but thanks.
  • Like 2

'Cept of course I'd be lying, but thanks.

Look, no need to be rude.  People disagree with your assessment of your dog that destroyed two tires on a mail delivery person's vehicle.  I'm sorry you think the dog is perfectly safe, and I truly do hope the dog never decided to go after a person.

• Like 3

For example, I had four fellas come pick up a statue today out of my yard in front of my house. It wasn't a diesel and didn't gave that distinct sound. They were men and total strangers. No problems. ;).

Let me say I understand the concern. How many times have we seen the headlines: woman mauled or something awful by people who just knew their little darling wouldn't do this?

I believe those people didn't know or understand signs of a dominant dog, an aggressive dog, or worst of all, a fear biter.

• Like 1

I am sorry that happened. I would get a real, physical fence and put a gate where people cannot just drive up. A gate you can lock. You stated that you do not want people coming up to your house, so that would make sense. An electric fence may work for the dog, but as you can see, it does nothing at all about people.

I believe you about your dog and his behavior. However you do not need these types of incidents. Too many potential problems.

Large sign at the end of the driveway.

PO box in town.

Training so the dog does not chase moving cars--I do not worry about your dog biting the drivers, but rather him getting run over.

You can easily set up situations where someone in a delivery vehicle comes to your house and you use it as a training moment.  If he has been trained to the underground wire, his prey drive isn't as strong as some dogs (some will willingly take the hit from the fence in order to chase).

• Like 2

No. He does it to no one else.

Ladies I don't WANT anyone to be able to just walk up and into my house. What is the point of having a German shepherd living out in a rural location?

I want people to stay in their car. And they do.

We've been here for a year. He does not cross the boundary.

My ds was recently attacked and bitten by a GSD, and this dog had on a shock collar. Like you, his owners specifically wanted a dog that would provide protection and a deterent to potential incursion or invasion by individuals intending harm.

The problem is, discerning who is safe and who is a threat is a complex and difficult process for an animal. Even humans frequently misjudge or misunderstand other humans' character and intent. That is why if you expect your dog to know who and when to attack, you are placing a lot of expectations that are not really reasonable. Dogs judge threats differently than humans do.

My ds is the fifth or sixth person who's been bitten by this dog. He is the third child. All previous bites were extended family members and one friend, who were in the home visiting.

Yet, when his owner staged a mock break in to test this same dog's willingness to attack a home invader, he cowered and ran away.

If you are the dog's parent and pack leader, you are the one tasked to defend the pack, not the dog. And leaving such a responsibility to a dog means you open yourself up to liabity if the dog makes a mistake.

I would treat the dog's attack on the mail person's vehicle as an indicator this dog does not always know how to discern a dangerous individual from a benign individual, and take steps to curb all aggressive behaviour.

Otherwise, sooner or later your dog will bite someone, and what happened today along with your attempts to divert delivery persons away from your property will be regarded as a known history of the dog to be dangerous. And you will liable.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. But my child suffered terror and physical injury due to the inability of humans to grasp the understanding that dogs assess threats differently.

• Like 18

seriously, no need to be defensive. I live total, and we need a dog like this. If something were to happen at my farm the police are 25 miles down gravel road IF they are in town when I call. and that's a big yes. We are the defense. I get it. I understand. I did give you the benefit of the doubt. You have to protect your family and an intimidating dog is one line ::) a series of that protection.

Also, I love the box idea. Our "neighbor" has a large wooden box attacked to the mailbox stand with a hatch lid. Ups, usps and FedEx use it.

Good luck

ETA: if you know your mailman is it possible to interact with him? In the dog's presence? That helped here.

I am sorry that happened. I would get a real, physical fence and put a gate where people cannot just drive up. A gate you can lock. You stated that you do not want people coming up to your house, so that would make sense. An electric fence may work for the dog, but as you can see, it does nothing at all about people.

I believe you about your dog and his behavior. However you do not need these types of incidents. Too many potential problems.

I agree.

If you can't fence the whole yard (I know rural yards can be enormous), maybe you could put up a gate/barrier across the driveway.

I like the idea of the sign, and maybe an oversized mailbox next to it so delivery people can put packages in it.

I'd also suggest getting the oversized mailbox. My in-laws did this when they lived in the boonies because the mail carrier would not leave packages at the house. They'd just leave the note and take it back to town. Town was 45 mins away. Getting the extra large mailbox helped tremendously.

• Like 3

If it were my dog I'd be doing a bunch of different things (starting with no invisible fences as I hate them with the heat of a 1000 suns) but given the paramaters you've set, I think at the very least I'd suggest

1. a 'guard dog on duty/no deliveries' sign

2. AND a gate across the driveway. Even if it's just a chain drop gate. YES, it's a pita for you to open/close etc. But it's worth it to protect people, vehicles and your dog.

fwiw, here if a dog goes after letter or courier or parcel delivery people or trucks, it's reported to animal control and investigated. An act of perceived aggression will be investigated and can result in an order to have the animal destroyed.

• Like 2

For example, I had four fellas come pick up a statue today out of my yard in front of my house. It wasn't a diesel and didn't gave that distinct sound. They were men and total strangers. No problems. ;).

Let me say I understand the concern. How many times have we seen the headlines: woman mauled or something awful by people who just knew their little darling wouldn't do this?

I believe those people didn't know or understand signs of a dominant dog, an aggressive dog, or worst of all, a fear biter.

If the total strangers were no problem, then how do you rely on him for protection? Strangers are who you need protection from not delivery people.

• Like 13

Gate the driveway and put in delivery boxes near the street. That's a huge liability issue for you. I had no idea a dog could puncture vehicle tires! He could get hurt too.

:iagree:   Even with offering to pay for new tires I could see delivery drivers suing you because of lost time spent repairing their vehicles as well as the fear those drivers must have for their own safety when all they are trying to do is their job.  

It's not a pain. We're only a mile out of town. The regular mail guy delivers to us because he feels comfortable with Legend. I'd rather he not, but I know he's trying to be nice. :(

Ladies, I want to clarify. It is a vehicle issue. The dog likes the carriers themselves. As long as the vehicle is still he's fine. Rolling tires (prey drive) make him excited. Excited NOT aggressive though I understand the misunderstanding considering people hear bite and assume aggression. He's tickled when this happens. Tail wagging and waiting.

I don't know WHY delivery vehicles. All I can think of is the sound of the vehicle is different? He was exercised as a puppy with a four wheeler and the sound of ATVs excites him to NO end. (He's bitten a hole in Dad's ATV as well.)

I'm hoping that will clarify the aggression concerns. He's a lot of things, but fearful, dominant, aggressive, etc are not those.

I understand this well. i have a German Shepherd and he is not dangerous.

Unless you are a chicken. Or a squirrel. Or a rabbit. Or a groundhog. Or, really, anything small that hops, skuttles or flap across HIS yard.

• Like 6

Can you afford a trainer for the dog? (Sorry if this has already been suggested?). Really good trainers can teach your dog when it is OK to be aggressive and when it is not.

Our Klee Kai is a guard dog. Her breed is very aggressive relative to other small breeds. But, we hired a trainer who taught her when she should be mean and when she cannot. Passing a dog that is on leash, for example, means she must be nice. Facing an animal that is charging at her is fair game for a kill. (We live in Florida with gators, coyotes, bobcats, & panthers in the backyard.)

• Like 1

Our dog loses his MIND when a delivery is made.

He is normally the most patient, long suffering creature you've ever met. But, add any kind of delivery vehicle, and he is certifiable.

So, normally I keep track of incoming packages via text. That controls FedEx and UPS and then he's locked away.

Shortly after we moved here we figured out he can't handle the USPS guy delivering. So we went to the USPS and filled out a card and told them we don't want deliveries. Just leave a card in the mailbox and we will come into town and get it.

Sigh.

Our mail man. I know he was just trying to be nice because, well, he IS nice. But they've ignored the request.

Today we had a sub. She drove up to the house. Legend bit her tires destroying two of them.

We helped her change the one that was popped, bought her two new tires, and she was very nice.

But how do I convince them they really are NOT doing me a "favor" by delivering?

This is a small, very friendly, rural community. I don't want hard feelings nor do I want to be sassy. But he will totally do it again and frankly I don't feel like paying next time. :(. Sad. Frustrated.

ETA: we have an underground fence running the full perimeter of our acreage. The mailbox is several feet from the perimeter. They can deliver envelopes and small packages without being bothered. The problem is when they drive up to the house. :(

Underground fences are USELESS.  You need a real fence to contain this dog if you insist on keeping it.  This could have had a far worse outcome than the dog taking out the tires.    All sorts of people have rights to easements and crossing into your properties, like meter readers and other people working on the road, as well as the deliveries and the mail.   Get a real fence for that dog. 

• Like 1

My folks had a dog (golden cocker spaniel) who was an absolute love except when a UPS truck came to the house. It was really weird. The regular mail truck didn't bother him. Neither did the FedEx truck, the garbage truck, or any other vehicle. Just the big brown trucks. 

A few years after they got him, he was at the vet for something or other. The vet pointed out that he had a healed fracture in one of his legs that had been pretty severe. They speculated that he had been hit by a UPS truck when the previous owner had him.

• Like 1

I'd put up a No Deliveries sign (big one) and even a Beware of Dog.  Just 'cause he's not dangerous doesn't mean you can't let (unwanted) visitors think otherwise.  I really like the idea of a big box for packages but you have to be careful it wouldn't invite local miscreants to put other things (like roadkill or abandoned kittens) in it.

• Like 1

OP, I hope my post did not upset you. Apparently you and I have different definitions of a dangerous dog. IMO, a dog that attacks when it is not directly under attack qualifies as dangerous. Disclaimer again: One of the occasions when my sister's dog bit DH happened when her dog *thought* DH was a threat to her. He was not. The dog incorrectly assessed him as a threat. Dogs, like people, make mistakes. Trust me, prior to the two occasions with her dog, I thought he was a lovely, lovely dog. I even dog-sat for her while she went on vacation various times. Now, I won't attend any family function where she brings the dog as she doesn't always contain him.

IAgain, I hope I didn't upset or offend you. And I am glad you are willing to do something to prevent a true tragedy from occurring. (I like the sign, large mailbox, and gate ideas.)

• Like 1

My ds was recently attacked and bitten by a GSD, and this dog had on a shock collar. Like you, his owners specifically wanted a dog that would provide protection and a deterent to potential incursion or invasion by individuals intending harm.

The problem is, discerning who is safe and who is a threat is a complex and difficult process for an animal. Even humans frequently misjudge or misunderstand other humans' character and intent. That is why if you expect your dog to know who and when to attack, you are placing a lot of expectations that are not really reasonable. Dogs judge threats differently than humans do.

My ds is the fifth or sixth person who's been bitten by this dog. He is the third child. All previous bites were extended family members and one friend, who were in the home visiting.

Yet, when his owner staged a mock break in to test this same dog's willingness to attack a home invader, he cowered and ran away.

If you are the dog's parent and pack leader, you are the one tasked to defend the pack, not the dog. And leaving such a responsibility to a dog means you open yourself up to liabity if the dog makes a mistake.

I would treat the dog's attack on the mail person's vehicle as an indicator this dog does not always know how to discern a dangerous individual from a benign individual, and take steps to curb all aggressive behaviour.

Otherwise, sooner or later your dog will bite someone, and what happened today along with your attempts to divert delivery persons away from your property will be regarded as a known history of the dog to be dangerous. And you will liable.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. But my child suffered terror and physical injury due to the inability of humans to grasp the understanding that dogs assess threats differently.

I think you might be responding to a post that was not mine?

I honestly cannot remotely see the resemblance between my dog and a dog that should have been put to sleep the first time he bit a human with no extenuating circumstances.

And he "cowered" - a dog is more likely to bite out of fear than our of aggression (except in a pack.) if he had a fearful dog it was either unstable or abused and both have nasty results. I'm very, very sorry for your child. No kid should ever develop a fear of dogs from being but, not even a "little" bite. A human bite is a human bite. I'd also be curious of his dog's breeding. They've been notoriously overbred.

Kelly, I'm sorry people keep assuming your dog is vicious.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

To clarify: he doesn't chase cars. He never, ever, ever crosses the boundary.

He is not aggressive. For example, he LIKES our regular mailman. He greets him with wagging tail and joy, lol. However, he considers his tires prey. ;). They move and he just grabs them. Same with the sub. He likes HER. It's the tires. There's only one person I've ever seen Legend not care for. He didn't bark or bite or act agressive, just moved his body between me and the fellow.

I am going to be proactive on this one and call our vet too on Monday. I fear people being prejudiced because of his appearance and breed. This dog was carefully chosen, bred, and cared for.

You know how some people get big dogs for ferociousness? We did NOT. We got shepherds for personality, train ability, their skill with children and around other animals.

Do I love that he's intimidating looking? I do. Would I keep him if he was aggressive and label it protective? Heck no. He's too big, too powerful to risk my precious babies. I have to be straight forward... I grew up on a farm. There was exactly one purpose for a dog that was aggressive according to my dad. Fertilizer. If I had an agressive dog my parents would be pretty blunt about it with their grandkids. And my dad thinks this dog hung the moon. They hug. No kidding.

• Like 8