Menu

Post Office Blues

Roadrunner

I am so increasingly frustrated. For the past three months every single package that has come through our local post office has gotten lost. Every. single. one. I have called multiple times only to be told off. Finally the manager put me on the phone with the actual man delivering my mail who admited he has been delivering my mail to the wrong address, because that address happens to share the house number, similar street name, and houses an old woman who receives packages almost on a daily basis. This delievery guy is new to our area. He came out, personally apologized, checked with the other family, who responded that they have never seen my mail (they most likely didn't think biology teacher manual was interesting and trashed it). In the end, I smiled, the post office is off the hook, but I am still furious over about $250 worth of lost materials. I don't know why I am posting this, but I guess I just need an outlet for my anger. A big chunk of what I bought for next year now needs to be rebought. I am not happy.

• Like 1

We've had major issues as well! Mail has been delivered to various neighbours and I've even had a parcel sent back to us from Aus. The worst was after I complained and found our letters in the dirt next to the letterbox! Seems to be sorted now so hopefully it's all good.

• Like 2

Why is the post office off the hook?  He admitted to delivering it to the wrong place.  The post office should reimburse you for the lost items.  

I think they aren't legally liable for lost mail. If this were a private company, it would be another story, but there is never any sense in arguing with the government establishment. 

• Like 2

DHL works in coordination with Deutsche Post, a social democracy governmental postal system...

Also, USPS has never lost anything I've sent via them. Also, they are entirely self-funded. 

I have never, ever had anything lost via UPS and FedEx. DHL and USPS are my only problems. It's a 50/50 chance of getting parcels. My local post office sucks. I have stories to tell, but don't want to reveal too much personal info. 

• Like 1

I have the reverse problem. USPS frequently dump my neighbors mail and parcels at my mailbox when a particular sloppy mailman is on duty.

I don't have parcel problem with UPS, FedEX or DHL.

The problem with DHL is they hand the parcels over to the local post office for delivery. They can get it here over thousands of miles, but the post office messes up the last three miles of the trip.

• Like 1

Why is the post office off the hook?  He admitted to delivering it to the wrong place.  The post office should reimburse you for the lost items.  

It seems like it, doesn't it? No insurance = no accountability. We routinely have packages with delivery confirmation in our mailbox--the trouble is, they're for the wrong address. Even delivery confirmation doesn't provide real protection--it just means it was delivered somewhere. If I NEED something to get somewhere, I require a signature. 

• Like 2

This should *not* be necessary, because it requires some extra money, and time/gas going back and forth to the post office, to check for mail, but  in a  number of places I lived, I rented a Post Office Box.  We have had very good to excellent luck with things sent to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami, FL, but obviously, it varies, depending on which part of the USA one is in and the local postal workers.   We have had excellent luck with things sent via DHL Global Mail (one this week) and UPS Mail Innovations (one this week) and there are 2 things that went all the way via USPS that should be delivered on Monday.  I noticed earlier this week that the USPS Tracking seemed to die for about 24 hours and then there was nothing about the 2 packages that went totally via USPS for days, until this morning. One  package (a Biology textbook) is in a truck going from Jacksonville to Miami as I type this.

NOTE: I spoke with someone at our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami, 2 or 3 weeks ago, about when a carton would clear Colombian Customs. During that phone call, he told me that they go to their local post office every day, about 2 P.M., to pick things up.  In USPS Tracking, it shows "Available For Pickup" and then "Delivered" but that delivery is actually in the local post office and not at the Receivers Physical location.  

• Like 1