Menu

Anyone Know Anything About ADHD or EF Coaching?

Hello, I'm looking for supports for ds as he transitions to the local cc next year. He has "heard it all" from me about good habits, planning, scheduling, etc. I'm wondering if hearing it all, and perhaps more, from someone else might help.

Anyone pursue supports like this for their teen or young adult ? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Ed Therapist is what you're looking for.  They are certified, so google the org and see who is in your area.  There's a HUGE practice in Columbus (we're in Ohio) that has a bunch at various pricepoints, depending on level of training.  The top ones are more expensive than the popular neuropsychs per hour, but these women are WHIZZES.  They're what you're looking for.  I went to a talk by one, and they GET it.  They do it in 1/2 hour weekly consults and they pretty much rocket.

• Like 1

Educational therapist.  http://metaoh.org Here's an example of a place.  They bridge between parent, student, teacher, psych, p-doc, everyone.  They don't diagnose or treat anything.  They just know enough of each thing to get in the middle and problem solve and make connections, whereas all those other practitioners are segmented, only looking at their thing.  So the kid has x grade or problem and the ed therapist connects it to an EF hole or a change in meds or a this or a that and they problem solve.  I was crazy impressed.

I think TokyoMarie is studying to do this.  

I heard about a thing that some people do.  They hire a college student (in majors like psychology or education) and then the college student is the one to hold the student accountable to getting done what they need to get done.  This person helps with setting up a schedule and stuff.  They are supposed to be able to hold the student to a standard.  

For the one I heard about -- a psychologist would be the supervisor and tell the college student how to act and what to do.  She would have a framework and way to train the college student -- she would have an idea of what should be done and how.  The psychologist was paid as a consultant (an initial fee and then follow-up fees).  The college student would be paid hourly.  

The one I heard about was for autism.  So -- really, for people who had trouble with managing their lives.  It was not something just for keeping up with school work.  

That is the only time I am familiar with it. 

I wonder if this is a role that might be filled by a tutor?  If he just needs help with setting aside time to study, starting his work ahead of time, etc, I think that tutors do help with things like that.  

I think a lot of people are able to learn from experience, seeing that they should have done something differently.  If he does not start out doing things in a strong way, hopefully he can learn from experience!  

I think that when possible there is a lot of value in young people figuring things out somewhat on their own, because I think that can really help their confidence and feeling that they can figure things out and overcome difficulties.  But if that is not how it is going to happen, if he is just not doing it, I would try to step back and see how he does without your "help."  Maybe he can learn his lesson before CC, if it is that kind of situation.  But if it is something where he just does nto have these skills and is not likely to figure them out, then I think you might look into something locally, and see if anyplace offers this kind of service.  

But I also have concerns about pushing someone through CC who is needing a huge amount of help.  I think it is more of a time to see how little help kids can need, and give them a chance to do it on their own.  To some extent you hope they will be working in just a few years, and there are skills they need to have on their own before that ---- they don't need to be skills that someone has overly helped them with up to that point.  

Do you know if this would be suitable for an adult well into life that needs training/mentoring/support?

The site sounds pretty good, but it talks about people who are unsuccessful at time management. I know someone who is successful in many realms, and marketing does make a difference in perception. This person is looking for coaching for being able to prioritize and to actually act with foresight about important things. Day-to-day making appointments on time and such is pretty good (not fabulous, but not horrible). In fact, the busier this person is with day-to-day appointments and things, the happier, because it makes it easier to put off things that don't need to be decided this very minute. This person would benefit from some of the stuff that seems to be covered, but the much bigger issue is knowing how long-term and short-term goals and responsibilities work together to avoid a lot of grief, miscommunication, lost opportunity, perpetual "emergencies," etc. It's all EF stuff as well, but kind of a different focus.

I am all ears.

Maybe even a life coach.  I think there are life coaches that help people with this.

But I think that if there is a lot of trouble in implementing things, it would be hard. 

If it is just help in making a plan -- I do think that life coaches do that.  Or a counselor, even.  

I think there may be a lot of opportunities.  

I think some people need an "adult" to give some advice or talk things through, but it is too fraught to get into with family members.  

I think there are a lot of people who have this on-going help, instead of just learning how to do it on their own.  I think if it is on-going help but it is working -- there is no shame in that.  

But I think it assumes a lot, too, for skills people would have (you know, the kinds of skills we expect adults to just have, and yet not all adults have them).  

But my mind is on a loved one who is on the autism spectrum and so I am thinking of a person who has real, serious challenges, and for whom it is not realistic to think he is going to do certain things independently at this point in time.  But there is always reason to move forward.  

But yeah, I do think that life coaches and counselors are filling this role for a lot of people.  They can set a boundary that is not possible with a family member.  I think "mentors" from church (if other places use this terminology) can also do this.  But it takes some skills and some personal desire, too.  

But I don't "actually" know about it.  I know someone on the Internet who has clients as a life coach, and she does seem to talk with people about concrete plans and how to reach them, and then she follows up with them.  I don't think she has any specific training (though she may).  Her background is ministry.  And I have known people who have had this with a counselor or a church mentor, or through a Bible study group, etc.  

But yeah, I think if the person is looking for it, it can possibly exist in a few different ways!  I just paused to google and found 5 life coaches in my small town, showing up on the Psychology Today listing, which was also a top hit.  From their site, of the 5, 2 are cross-listed with ADHD, and 2 are cross-listed with autism and Aspergers.  https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php Under "refine search" a choice is "life coaching."  

I know there is also a Christian counseling center in my town,and I know that some of the churches in town would easily be able to have a mentoring situation.  My own church would, I think, if a person reached out to the pastor.  I am confident our pastor could approach some members who would be willing and seem likely.  

I am also aware of a local mental health clinic, that would probably not be the place to go, but I think it is the kind of place where (in our small town) if I called and talked to a receptionist, the receptionist or someone there, would be able to make some recommendations.  B/c a lot of the time, there are people who know the other people in town.  

Lecka, a life coach has been mentioned. That might work if the coach realizes that EF is a huge part of it. I didn't know you could find them through Psychology Today. I will have to look at that. It's sort of a hybrid issue, LOL. It's a little hard to pin down, and I am trying to be careful what I say on the internet about it. It may be something where the person will have to have more than one kind of coaching over time and meld them together.

My BIL uses a life coach once per week by telephone. The coach was so effective that now SIL uses her. The coach asks questions, listens, takes notes, and helps them self organize and stay on schedule. The coach is a friendly, non-judging observer that helps prioritize and organize a system. Yes, they will visit a home or office and get things cleared and lined up. Not everyone requires that service but it is available.

For a person to self organize, they need to be intrinsically motivated and see the need to apply skills. They also need to be taught the skills. Demands on attention can be overwhelming. My Ds struggles with self organization. He keeps a paper organizer now and uses it. I serve as the life coach and we talk about priorities and what must be done and in what order. DS is motivated by outside classes that he chooses to take.

To help me help DS, I watched a few of the How to Be a Super Star Student videos and read ADD Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life. BIL recommends books by David Allen. I have also read some of Cal Newport's blog to help improve study skills. As of 9th grade, DS completes half of his work independently. He does not want me there, so I teach writing, math, and language. I supervise the other subjects and ensure work is completed. DS carries an Echo Smart pen to class. At the CC and college level, I expect DS will receive some sort of note taking accommodation for the ADD and dysgraphia.

• Like 2

Kbutton -- my older son spent a couple of months as part of the ADHD program at our elementary school.  His counselor was a LCSW.  She seems like she is up on the EF things, she has a program she does and she does certain parts of it with different kids.  This is when my son had anxiety and he was not starting his work and not setting goals for himself to finish parts of his work.  Those are two things that were part of the ADHD program and she did those parts with him, and the teacher had done the teacher part with other kids, etc, so it was something they thought would be good for him. 

It seemed like it worked out to me, he liked going, they stopped it after a couple of months because he was getting along in school again.  

I don't think I would expect just anybody to be into this kind of thing and know the areas to work on and how to work on them, but I would not have thought "LCSW" as the qualification to look for.  But she has a CBT program she does and I think it is good.  

So I do think, it is worth calling and asking on the phone.  Maybe people know about it, maybe not.  I would have some hopes for people who said they did more with ADHD or Aspergers -- just because those are the two I know of with EF issues.  But they might be doing a good CBT program (and I just think this is good b/c it is what they have at the elementary school and people like this counselor ----- I do not know any more about it, or if it is that that is good, or more this woman is just good with kids, b/c I do think she is one of those people who is just good with kids, too).  Or they might do things that are vague and not what you are looking for.  But I think it would be worth calling.

On the other hand, I glanced (b/c it is stuff I might need in the future, too) and I only saw one therapist who offers neurofeedback.  I hear about neurofeedback on this forum only.  In my local area, CBT is what is popular and what I hear about a lot.  Along with Bal-a-vis-x, lol.  I cannot even get into how popular Bal-a-vis-x is around here.  

I think that since CBT is what I hear is "the thing" locally, part of me would just call around and ask if they did CBT and what their treatment model is.  Maybe I would try to research neurofeedback for myself since I hear about it here, maybe I wouldn't.  Maybe that would be a later step for me.  Maybe I would just hear their treatment models and think about what one seemed like a good idea.  I might also ask at church because I think if I asked around somebody would be able to tell me some things.  

I went to marriage counseling last year, and found that people are happy to say what their treatment model is, and how it works.  But we did "solution-focused therapy" because that is what the Army thinks is best for re-deployment marriage issues.  And it worked out for us!  The man we saw didn't only do solution-focused therapy, he could switch to another approach, during therapy, but it did work out for us and I have a good impression of it for what our issues were.  (We went through Military One Source, and the counselor we saw is not listed on Psychology Today.  I do not know why not.  I wonder if he just gets his business through referrals, or from being on insurance lists.  I have no idea.   I know he had also worked with substance abuse and anger, he liked soldiers which was good for us -- we would not like someone who knew nothing about certain Army things where it just gets old to explain it or have people act so surprised by how many deployments my husband has been on -- he knew plenty of people like us and that is what we needed.)  

• Like 1