Menu

Can you recommend surviving the tween years book?

Alicia64

Because I'm being pecked to death by twin 12 year olds. My once sweet kids are surly, grumpy, snappy etc. Sometimes I ignore, sometimes I give consequences, sometimes I just ride them to get their stuff done.

I know it's a healthy thing that they individuate from me and become their own people, but I think I could use a good book or three on surviving this stage.

I heard girls were rough, but that boys were easier. So far nothing is feeling easy.

Thanks,

Alley

• Like 1

I'm all ears for book recommendations too. Mine are a little younger but I continue to want more guidance on this particular stage. It was my favorite to teach, but as my own children - ack.

But while we wait for them to come in, this thread that I started about my boys entering the tween years is one of the few I've bookmarked and will save forever... or at least until they move out of it.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/541789-youre-being-a-pill/

I was going to recommend Anthony Wolf too. Just reading his titles makes me think he has been in my house, lol.

Get out of my life, but first drive me and Cheryl to the mall

I'd listen to my parents, if they'd just shut up

Mom, Jason's breathing on me

Etc

(titles approximate)

I have heard the author speak and read some of his books. Very practical, great advice. But you will not like him if you are a first time obedience type of parent or otherwise vey strict.

• Like 3

O.k. this may not be a particularly popular response, but I have twin tween boys as well and this is what works *most* times.  When they are cranky, moody, etc it *usually* helps to have them get some fresh air and physical exercise.  Now, many times this is during school hours and they really need to get some work done, but I'm at the point where I may pull my hair out and then their hair out, so what I make them do is run.  Now, if I just sent them outside to run and play, they, in their cranky mood,  would just sit outside and sulk.  So, I make them run our driveway.  We have a very, very long driveway.  I usually make them run it a couple of times and then come back in.  If they are still in a mood (sometimes it takes some time to work it out), I make them run it again.  I'm not trying to *break* them of this behavior, I'm trying to: 1. save our relationship-sometimes I just want to go crazy and yell at them like a madwoman, so I need the space and break from them and 2. it gives them a physical release. 

It does work.  Not every time, but many times it does.  Most times they will come in an apologize for their behavior, we hug and move on.  Sometimes, they need more sleep and at that moment they just can't have it so we trudge on.  Last night for instance, they didn't get done with baseball until 10:30 at night.  I let them sleep in a little bit, but they were still super cranky this morning.  I tried to give them a little grace (my husband was in the room and said I was a saint..lol) but at one point, I had enough...out to run they went. 

• Like 4

This one was highly recommended to me at the time (but I'll confess I never got around to reading it).

The Rollercoaster Years by Charlene C. Giannetti  and Margaret Sagarese

"For the 20 million parents of 10- to 15-year-olds, The Roller-Coaster Years is a lively guide to mastering the ups and downs of early adolescence. Every parent knows about the terrible twos and the brooding teens, but few have anticipated the wild ride of these magical yet maddening years that can provide all the thrills and chills of a carnival ride.

Now, drawing together the latest information from experts, supported and advised by the National Middle School Association, and with surprising insights from the authors' own surveys of parents, teachers, and the children themselves, The Roller-Coaster Years covers every facet of the physical, social, emotional, and intellectual development of early adolescents, including:

• Appearance Anxiety
• Distractibility
• Fears and Other Emotions
• The Battle for Independence
• Success in School
• Friendship and Peer Pressure
• Sexual Awakening
• The Lure of Tobacco, Drugs, and Alcohol
• The Promise and Peril of Electronic Media
• Sticky Questions About Your Own Past"

Regards,

Kareni