Menu

Almost graduating VT, but now noise sensitivity issues

Ds is almost done with VT! He just had one convergence exercise he is trying to master. I got nowhere seeking an NP eval for him because insurance won't cover all of it and since they are state insurance, they say the doctor can't bill me for the rest. But since he had progress with convergence, he is reading much better. Still doing Recipe for Reading, he did compound words and working on 2 syllable words.

The VT doctor just recommended that we might want to get him evaluated for the way he is with sounds. He is one of those kids that had to have utter silence if he's trying to figure something out, and if a repetitive sound is annoying (like his little brother) he overreacts. The other day, I had to bring all the kids to VT and the little one was playing legos in the waiting room and ds marched over and slammed the therapy room door so he could work. He does this at home with therapy work with any noise like a breeze. One point in recommending he get checked out was to have accommodations in place if he went to ps.

Is this really a big deal? If he's having fun, he can put up with tons of noise and he's pretty loud himself. He can do math with the little one nearby coloring, who had constant soundtrack going. But he's a really reactive kid in general, lots of drama. I do think he deals with a lot.

I'm losing track, but did we just suggest OT to you in another thread?  Same deal, OT.  When you find an OT who deals with sensory issues (not run of the mill, one who specializes in it), they'll run some screening tools and suggestions on who to see next.  Technically, a np is NOT the only psych who could help you.  It's a matter of finding a psych who specializes in whatever you've likely got going on.  There are clinical psychs who can diagnose ADHD, dysgraphia, and ASD just fine. Depends on what they've chosen to specialize in.  I talked with one who could have diagnosed all those but didn't have the tests for SLD reading, something my ds specifically needed.  So it's more a matter of figuring out what you need, rather than being stuck on the label of the psych.  

• Like 1

Western Publishing has the SIPT list.  Also google autism OT in major cities near you.  I'm NOT saying your dc has autism, just that it sorta puts you in the loop where this is common so you can find the good ones.

Sorry I'm being short.  Dd is turning 16 and we're having a surprise party.  My brain is fried.  I'm just resting and then heading back to my secret work, hehe.