Menu

competition math for underserved minorities

daijobu

Hi:  It turns out that there are no public schools in my town that participate in MathCounts, which I think is adding further insult to this already underserved minority population.  I have the opportunity to help change that by coaching some students in competition math and hopefully bring some to a MathCounts chapter competition next year.  

I have little experience working with minority students, and I don't want to turn them off to math.  I take it for granted that math is fun, but I am haunted by an experience I had a few years ago in MOEMS where a girl from a respectable private school left the exam crying because she has always been told she was "good at math."  I don't want any girls crying and deciding they hate math because of me.  Or maybe I'm underestimating them?  

Anyway, my thought is to start with an elementary MOEMS exams to warm them up and get them accustomed to these sorts of tests.  Then move them to middle school MOEMS,  school-level MathCounts exams, chapter level MC, etc.  

Does anyone have experience with underserved (primarily hispanic and pacific islander) minorities and gently pushing them to greater academic challenges beyond what they get in school?   Any advice is appreciated!