Menu

Anyone do VT at high school ages?

Tomorrow my 16 year old is going in for her first VT 2 hour eval. Her screening indicated that prism glasses wouldn't even help as she had difficulity with convergence and divergence both( I think..I need to see this stuff written down).

I am embarrassed that I was so focused with her younger sister (who couldn't read till 12.. But doesnt need VT) that I never pursued VT for DD1.I know that DD1 works harder than most people as she ahs to reread things many times. She has a book mark in her books to keep her on track so she doesn't miss lines. The other day she was taking a sample college readiness test on the computer and she had to ask me if that symbol was an x or pie? I wouldn't tell her. Sigh.

On a positive note, she passed them all and really wants to do dual credit.

Academically, she is doing pretty well, but no wonder she is so tired. No wonder she has headaches and nausea. How could I have missed all of this? She is in 10th grade...can she make progress? I know that we will get reccomendations tomorrow, and are willing to shell out what it takes for more than once a week visits if we need to. Anyone have an older child that went through VT?

She is a trooper..she will get all of it done. I just feel terrible that I should have noticed all of this 10 years ago. Sigh.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yes, there could be progress.  Every child is different but VT works for many.  If she is motivated to do the work and you are motivated to support her and provide whatever scaffolding is needed for her to keep going, then you are ahead of the game already.

VT is hard.  It can be physically painful and mentally and physically exhausting.  Be prepared to cut way back on a lot of things while she tries to get through it.  And if she is experiencing eye strain and needs help, help her as much as you can.  Provide whatever scaffolding is necessary for her to get through life/academics etc. as she works through VT.

Hugs and good luck to both of you.  :)

• Like 1

I had my first VT at 11th grade for strabismus. It helped. I had other help issues so the strabismus issue wasn't something that the ophthalmologist thinks critical when I was younger.

When I did VT again as an adult, it still helped a lot. I should have continued VT at the university's teaching hospital while attending university but I just didn't think to ask for that service.

ETA:

Once a week sessions are okay. You might have to sit in for the first few sessions to help her remember all the exercises she has to do daily at home.

Life happens. I don't think bad about my parents for not knowing I need and qualify for VT.

• Like 1

You all are so encouraging! Thank you. We should have 6 weeks or so to see how her body responds to treatment before dual credit. We can always drop her summer and fall classes if that is what needs to happen. Does the eye strain occur throughout the day or is the pain/ fatigue / strain more after exercises? Does VT cause thoses symptoms all of the time as eyes adjust? Our plan is to do VT treatments after her last class for week so she has a recovery day. Our plan for home treatments was to do exercises after homework , so she could rest for the rest of the day. Maybe that won't work though. I guess we will have to see. Still , so encouraging to hear from people with results..thank you.