Menu

Gifted Homeschoolers: Fall Class Schedule Is Up

It looks like they've relaxed their age limits considerably. When they started, I know DD was too young, at 9, for basically any class that would have been of interest to her, and some of those same classes now list a starting age of 8. GHF kind of turned me off for that reason. I prefer providers who give the information and level of the class materials, and let parents make the call, without strict age limits. (that and there's something about being told your kid is too young due to being 2 months from turning 10 for a middle school class when you're trying to find something that fits in the time that you're driving to the university so said kid can do the lab component of a 3000 level zoology class....)

• Like 5

The same class is being taught at Athena's. Anyone with experience there?

This is a brand new class for Athena's so there will be no one with experience.

I get the age thing, and I have mixed feelings. The older ds gets, the more kids return to school and we are becoming the oldest kids everywhere we go, which is also a concern for me socially. I don't always love the age requirements either and we also sometimes end up on the wrong side of them, but at the same time I desperately want some place for him to communicate with gifted kids his own age too. We have tons of opportunities to be around gifted 7 y.o.s. There are far fewer opportunities for us to be with gifted 11 y.o.s. I'm hoping that at least some of these online classes can provide that environment too.

• Like 2

My 11 yr old took AAA for literature last fall.  The biggest downside was a boy age 7.  He was very smart for 7 but he interrupted several times because he did not like the stories/ fully understand in the same way as my dd.   The class material was GREAT but my dd was not fully engaged because of the maturity gap.  The young boy might have had a larger vocabulary and greater comprehension than my daughter but he did not communicate on her level.   I am now an advocate of age ranges for classes.  

Thanks for pointing me to the G3 teen classes.  

• Like 3

My 11 yr old took AAA for literature last fall.  The biggest downside was a boy age 7.  He was very smart for 7 but he interrupted several times because he did not like the stories/ fully understand in the same way as my dd.   The class material was GREAT but my dd was not fully engaged because of the maturity gap.  The young boy might have had a larger vocabulary and greater comprehension than my daughter but he did not communicate on her level.   I am now an advocate of age ranges for classes.  

Thanks for pointing me to the G3 teen classes.  

I hope this comes out right, but I'm wondering why you chose Athena's for an 11 year old reading at a fifth or sixth grade level? These classes are targeted for advanced kids specifically because they have different ways of thinking, levels of understanding, and prior knowledge/experience from on-level students, either of their age or of their reading level. I can understand why it would be frustrating, but I think it's somewhat to be expected for the target population.

Yes your question did come out right? ;)

This was my daughters first online class. I original registered her for a different class, because of scheduling issues she needed to change classes. This class fit my schedule. My daughter reads at a 11th grade level but still enjoys simple novels like the Box Car Children series. She is just a child and not ready for teenage material yet.

Being new too online classes, my expectations were not accurate. I thought a reading level of 5th grade and ABOVE would be gifted upper elementary thru possibly 6th grade talking about appropriate books on a much higher level. I was looking for a lit class for a gifted middle schoolers that need to be challenged with age appropriate books. My mistake.

I take full responsibility. I should have done more research and had a better understanding of what the "target population/age" was for each online classes. During the first few weeks, I discussed with the head mistress and she thought it would work fine because there was another 11yr old in the class. I had also purchased the books and did not want to find a new class and new books.

My daughter completed the class. DD was very frustrated on the last day when a couple of the younger kids had not finished the last novel and therefore the class did not get to discuss the ending. I did not go back and complain. Live and learn.

Just to reiterate, the class was lovely. Maybe it could be titled Elementary literature if it is for gifted 1st. graders. A stated age range would have helped this newbie mom select online literature classes.

Huge thanks for all the post about online classes. The board has help me understand online classes much better.

• Like 1

That makes sense. I'm glad that came out right, and thanks for answering. :) I thought you were upset that the boy was in the class, not that the description did not make the target audience clear, but now I understand the frustration better. I do agree the names "Intermediate" and "Upper Intermediate" Literature are a bit confusing.

It does sound like G3 will be a better fit for your daughter (or possibly some of the other Athena's ones; my daughter took Philosophy this year at 9 and was one of the younger ones, and may take Sherlock Holmes next year at 10). We've enjoyed classes at both, but Athena's definitely has a younger average age. I think generally most of the kids are 2-3 years younger than the material's grade level (so, for example, I expect that the the Sherlock Holmes, listed as min. 8th grade reading level, will have mostly 5th and 6th graders). Also, G3 has a recommended progression/summary of offerings at http://www.onlineg3.com/OnlineG3/Placement_and_Progression.htmlthat I find helpful as a general guide. Good luck!

• 1 year later...