Menu

Please Tell Me About Reading Aloud... -- Updated in Original Post

I just joined this forum a few weeks ago, and in that time I've read a lot here about read-alouds.  Can someone please help me with this, as to how this works in your family?

Do you read to all of the kids together?  Does the parent have to do the reading, or can it be done by an older child? How often?  How long is each session?  Do audiobooks count?  Do audiobooks count if the kids do them on their own?  Any suggestions for books that would appeal to a wide range of ages (4-14)?

Also, what are the benefits?  I can think of a few, but maybe there are other benefits that I haven't thought of?

TIA.

UPDATE:

I cleaned off the little girls' bookshelf this morning and found a ton of books that would make good read-alouds.  I organized them together (and expect that to last about one day).  :)

My ds14 saw me carrying a few books downstairs just before lunch and asked what I was doing with them.  When I told them he asked if I could please read "Tootle".  I guess it was a favorite of his when he was younger.

I added Tootle to my (small) stack.  I read a Fancy Nancy book, because I knew my littles would enjoy it.  Frog and Toad came next (w/ plenty of giggles).  By this time ds was finished eating.  He said that I should read Tootle tomorrow.

I read Mickey and the Beanstalk while the others finished.

My dd12 was not really on-board; she's been a bit moody.  :mellow:

After lunch ds asked if I got the idea from this forum.  When I told him yes, he said "Thought so." :)

Thanks everyone for your input!

• Like 7

The answer to your question will vary, depending on family size, kids' ages and preferences.

Of course older children can read aloud. And of course audiobooks are great - what "counts" is totally up to you.

And I could imagine having a new reader read to little ones to practice her skills.

I only have two kids. I have read to each of my children separately, but the sibling was free to listen in if interested. I read in the evening, before bed, for a total time of about one hour. At that age, my kids were still attending public school.

Mine no longer wanted to be read to as soon as they could read fluently, but DS still liked to listen to audiobooks while playing.

We also listened to copious amounts of audiobooks in the car. We drove a lot for hiking and in summer, and sharing audio books was a good for the entire family.

I consider the major benefit to be developing vocabulary. My kids acquired an extensive varied vocabulary that, in some cases, I can trace back directly to audiobooks/read alouds.

Another benefit is the opportunity to be exposed to literature that was too difficult for the child to read by himself. My DS was reluctant to tackle bigger books, but often wanted to read a book after he had listened to the audio version and decided that he liked it. So, for  him, the audiobooks encouraged more independent reading.

• Like 2

I only have a three year old, and a three month old. We read aloud in all configurations. We read aloud to just ODS, and to both boys together, every day. Not as frequently, DH and I read aloud to each other while DS plays quietly. We also listen to audio books which I think is great listening practice, but I do not count this as read aloud time.

• Like 1

I have been reading aloud to my children for a long time. When we first started reading books, I targeted the books to my oldest child. It was just a natural progression from picture books to chapter books. It got to the point though, that the chapter books were not able to hold the interest of my youngest child and he would not stay to listen, so I began to read books targeted more for younger children to get him in the habit of listening. A few months ago my 14 yo began to go read on his own during our read-aloud times. It makes me sad, but I don't want to force him to listen. 

Our current read-aloud time is for 30-45 minutes after lunch. While I read my kids play legos, draw/color,...anything quiet and still that they do not have to talk to each other. They don't like it when I ask one of their siblings to read - they just want to listen to mom. 

I would recommend starting with a book that you can finish in a week. 

• Like 1

I read aloud books that are above their reading level or books that they wouldn't be motivated to read on their own. When I read books aloud, I do a really good job of it. Slightly different voices, I read slowly enough that I'm not stumbling over words and have time to pre-read each sentence to be sure I use interesting emphasis.

Reading aloud to children exposes them to complex grammar structures and vocabulary that aren't in kid's books.

Easy readers or kids' books can often be over-simplistic and not very interesting. If I read a book aloud that has a strong story but would be too difficult for the child to read on her own, I can foster a love of reading. Eventually, the kids will catch up on their reading level and be able to move into the better stories on their own.

• Like 2

The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease has an excellent overview of benefits.

Read aloud time in our house is sometimes one on one and sometimes the whole family. We do everything from picture books (I have younger kids) to novels and the bible. We also listen to audiobooks in the car. All three of my kids love to read, be read to, and have excellent vocabulary for their ages. I find it a great way to just sit with my kids my kids now that they are past the bottle stage.

• Like 6

I choose whichever kids I think will be interested in that particular story.

my kids do read to each other. I've never told them to, but they like it.

I do think audiobooks count, but it's different from when I read, or my husband does. It's more passive. 

I read until they start to lose interest. when we reach the end of the chapter, i might ask if they would like to go on. 

I never thought of read-alouds as something unique or schooly that we should do. reading aloud is just something parents do, like snuggling and feeding. As we started homeschooling, it became an efficient means of transmitting information. I read history and science aloud. 

• Like 1

I try to keep a book going with my 9yo that we read together, taking turns reading and listening.  My voice gets tired easily, and she's an excellent reader.  This gives me the chance to help her with pronunciation of words she hasn't seen before.  We use this time for more advanced books, those written in another time and place when language was much more complex than it is today.  It's also perfect for books that lend themselves to using different voices and accents for the various characters.  My daughter loves drama, and she is better at certain accents than I am.  We have fun with it, and take our time.  It might take weeks to finish a book, reading a chapter a day.  

Other times, I read a book aloud because I really want my child(ren) to know the book, but the subject matter is something that I want to be able to discuss as we go.  These are books like Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl, or Roots, or other such books.

My parents didn't read to me, but reading aloud is part of the family culture in my husband's family.  When we visit, my father-in-law will still frequently read to us, sometimes a poem, sometimes a story or part of a book he's been reading.  Mind you, we are all in our fifties, and have children of our own (some grown), but we enjoy listening to Grandpa read.  He has a great reading voice.

My husband has carried on the tradition, and frequently reads to our 9yo daughter.  He reads things he enjoyed hearing growing up, classics like Kipling (Jungle Books and Just So Stories), real-life adventure stories (especially by Charles and Anne Lindbergh), and anything that I want her to read, but don't have time to read to her.  They love this time together. 

The older teens don't listen to read-alouds as much anymore (they're doing their own thing most of the time), but there is a special book Dad reads to each of the kids on their birthdays (called The Wish Tree).  They've all heard it so many times, they have parts of it memorized.  Even our 17yo super-cool son sat and listened to it on his birthday this year.  It's tradition!

When my older kids were younger, I would sit and read to the older one, and the younger would listen while playing with his cars or whatever.  Sometimes he'd be in the next room, but he'd still be listening.  I know because I'd pause and ask his sister a question about what I'd been reading, and he'd answer from the other room.  

We also listened to many stories on CD, especially those read or told by Jim Weiss.  He has a wonderful selection of stories that my kids listen to over and over and over again.  

The reasons we love to read aloud are numerous.  Many wonderful benefits are mentioned above.  Besides increasing vocabulary, listening also develops the the auditory function of the brain.  We are bombarded with visual information all the time, but we don't take the time to use our careful listening skills all that often.  Listening also stimulates the imagination in a different way than visual cues do.  Besides all that, we just enjoy the time interacting with each other.  We laugh and we cry (well, I cry, and my kids laugh at me for crying).  We have made some wonderful memories reading together.  

• Like 4

I did read alouds with my kids until they were both in high school. They still enjoyed them, but eventually it got to hard to find a time that worked.

When they were younger, we would do a read aloud as a break in the school day. It was a time we could snuggle up and relax. I typically read 30 min. In addition, I read to my kids at bedtime every night, when they were little this was short - a picture book or two, as they got older it became a chapter and chapters kept getting longer! We usually separated the kids for bedtime reading. It was done in their bed, in their room. When they got older it became evening reading. We rarely watch TV, so it was that evening together time when many do watch tv.

With your huge range of kids, I would never try to read aloud to all of them together. Your oldest would probably be uninterested if you try to reading aloud to him now. However, I think your 7-12 yos could all listen together (you might make it optional for the older ones). The little one could listen if she wants to. Then do a separate reading time for your youngest. Help her catch a love of reading by reading picture books and shorter stories that she can track with better.

There are lots of advantages, listening skills, vocabulary, shared experience, just to name a few.

• Like 1

<snip>

I never thought of read-alouds as something unique or schooly that we should do. reading aloud is just something parents do, like snuggling and feeding. As we started homeschooling, it became an efficient means of transmitting information. I read history and science aloud.

Agreed. I was reading to my children before we decided to homeschool, it was just something we did.

• Like 3

Thank you for all of the good ideas.  

My dh reads to the youngest three at bedtime -- they take turns choosing a book from their shelves.  Most of it is not "literature".  Maybe I could "plant" some new books in their room?  Any suggestions?  I'm not sure dh would want to read chapter books to them?

My older three read for several hours a day on their own.  I'm not sure what they would think about read-aloud time.  We also read a Bible story to all of the children each evening.  So, maybe we're doing OK after all?

Years ago I read to my dc every afternoon before naptime, but when more babies came, the reading time disappeared.  However, I would like to start up again.  Some of my kids have difficulty pronouncing words that most kids should know.  I realize it's because they've never *heard* the word.

Maybe I could start reading to them at lunchtime?  Any ideas for incorporating all of my ages?

Thanks so much!

I have a pretty wide range of kids. I read aloud an age appropriate book to the younger girls at their bedtime and also during their school time. I read during lunch a book more geared toward the older three. When ds#1 has literature time we share the reading and I also read aloud a history book to him during history. He is the only one who is truly an audio learner and he loves loves loves being read loud to. I choose a very wide variety of books - ones generally accepted as "classics" for kids.

• Like 1

You're getting lots of good responses, so I'll just reply with an anecdote from today. I was reading aloud to my 5-year old (from The Complete Brambly Hedge) and I looked up to find that DD3 (10 years old) had put down what she was working on and moved closer so she could see the pictures. When the story was finished, she heaved a big sigh and remarked that she wishes she were only 5 and hearing these stories for the first time because it's such a good feeling. It was a lovely, cozy moment that led to several more stories being shared on this chilly spring afternoon. #homeschoolhigh

• Like 3

I've read aloud to my kids from birth to graduation (well, my oldest graduates next month!). It's awesome family-bonding time as well as a great way to build vocabulary, listening comprehension (a skill used throughout our lives), opportunities for great discussions on issues, character traits, making predictions, literary elements etc..., or just enjoying great books together. Our lives have been so enriched.

My kids also enjoy audio-books and other audios. They have listened to every single Adventures in Odyssey multiple times and besides character lessons they have learned a ton of history (I'm amazed how many times they say they are familiar with a person or event from AIO!)

Both had a place in our home school. Here's an article on 6 Great Reasons to Read Aloud to Your Kids.

Overall, have fun. I might choose to split kids that far apart into groups & do 2 books instead of just one, though there may be times when one book would appeal to multiple ages (Chronicles of Narnia comes to mind). 

• Like 3

I'll be back to talk more; I've only got a few minutes now, but I highly recommend listening to the Read Aloud Revival podcast hosted on the blog Amongst Lovely Things. There's 24 episodes & they discuss exactly the questions you're asking :D

• Like 2

Thank you for all of the good ideas.

My dh reads to the youngest three at bedtime -- they take turns choosing a book from their shelves. Most of it is not "literature". Maybe I could "plant" some new books in their room? Any suggestions? I'm not sure dh would want to read chapter books to them?

My older three read for several hours a day on their own. I'm not sure what they would think about read-aloud time. We also read a Bible story to all of the children each evening. So, maybe we're doing OK after all?

Years ago I read to my dc every afternoon before naptime, but when more babies came, the reading time disappeared. However, I would like to start up again. Some of my kids have difficulty pronouncing words that most kids should know. I realize it's because they've never *heard* the word.

Maybe I could start reading to them at lunchtime? Any ideas for incorporating all of my ages?

Thanks so much!

Reading a chapter or two at lunchtime could work really well. I'm not sure the ages of your children but the Little House series and the Narnia books work well for multiple ages. I read them last year when my oldest was 6. The two year old didn't get a lot out of them but he does like Aslan. In a few years we will likely read through both series again. Fairy tales could work well across age groups as well.

• Like 1

They have listened to every single Adventures in Odyssey multiple times and besides character lessons they have learned a ton of history (I'm amazed how many times they say they are familiar with a person or event from AIO!)

My ds told me the other day that Eugene taught him the Pythagorean Theorem. :)

• Like 1

My method wouldn't look like yours because my kids are both almost 6 year olds.  I second the above recommendation on the read aloud revival podcasts from Amongst Lovely Things.  Very informative. 

Here is how I do read alouds. 

At bedtime, I read to both kids (again, both 6 next week) for anywhere to half an hour to an hour most nights.  They each can choose a picture book or I even let my son pick a Star Wars Lego reader from the library.  I read those first.  Then, I read from whatever chapter book we're working on.  Lately, we've been busier in the evenings, so reading has been just half an hour of chapter books. 

After they are both in bed, they can stay up for a few minutes reading their own books in their rooms.  By read, I mostly mean flip through books.  They aren't reading well enough to do it on their own yet. 

For books related to our school work - like history or science books - I read those after lunch to both together.  Every once in awhile, if one of these books really sparks interest, it will carryover to our bedtime reading, too.  This doesn't happen every day.

Most weekday afternoons, the kids have quiet time for about an hour.  This used to be to give them space from each other.  Also, it allows me an hour of alone time in peace and quiet.  Lately, they've conned me into letting them have their quiet time together many days.  I agreed because I still get my alone time.  During this quiet time, they listen to one part of an audiobook on a kindle.  These are usually from the library and are sometimes repeats of books already read/heard.

So most days, they get a lot of books!  We love it.  It works for us because I only have two little ones.  I'm sure it would take more work to fit it all in with many more ages.  I think audiobooks count as read alouds!  Just pick good books and include some in-person read alouds, too.

ETA - I usually pick the bedtime chapter book but they always select their own audiobooks.  If they absolutely do not like a chapter book I'm reading (and they both agree), I will not finish it.  That's happened maybe 4 times. 

• Like 1

I just joined this forum a few weeks ago, and in that time I've read a lot here about read-alouds.  Can someone please help me with this, as to how this works in your family?

Do you read to all of the kids together?  

For the bedtime reading, yes. For schoolday reading, no. I do two sessions due to the large age gap.

Does the parent have to do the reading, or can it be done by an older child?

Both! It can be a wonderful time of bonding between oft-rivaling siblings. Also great practice for the older child.

How often?

On a normal schoolday, twice. One session for school, and one for bedtime. Take it in steps if you are just starting out.

How long is each session?

Anywhere between 10-90 minutes. It just depends on the day.

Do audiobooks count?

Absolutely

Do audiobooks count if the kids do them on their own?

Of course.

Any suggestions for books that would appeal to a wide range of ages (4-14)?

The Narnia and Little House series are classics that appeal to a wide age range.

Also, what are the benefits?  I can think of a few, but maybe there are other benefits that I haven't thought of?

I have a post on my blog that lists quite a few: http://unembellishedliving.com/?p=302

• Like 1

I am certain that reading aloud is one of the most important things I did for my children's education. If you choose good books, it fills their imagination with the good, true, and beautiful. It puts the sound, the music if you will, of great writers in their head in a way that can't be duplicated.

I often had one book going for my younger kids that we would read sometime during the day, and a family book that we read together as a family in the evening. We didn't have cable/satellite tv, so it was our normal entertainment. We sometimes had them listen to books on tape on their own, but they preferred it if I read.

Now my youngest are in high school and they still love family read alouds, but I admit, we don't do it as often. 

• Like 3

I think the trick of engaging the dc in a read-aloud is picking high quality books that you, as the reader, will delight in as well. Your enthusiasm will be contageous and inspiring. You'll also have a lot more to discuss and point out when you share books with interesting plots, characters and topics.

• Like 1

Do you read to all of the kids together?  Does the parent have to do the reading, or can it be done by an older child? How often?  How long is each session?  Do audiobooks count?  Do audiobooks count if the kids do them on their own?  Any suggestions for books that would appeal to a wide range of ages (4-14)?

TIA.

UPDATE:

I cleaned off the little girls' bookshelf this morning and found a ton of books that would make good read-alouds.  I organized them together (and expect that to last about one day).   :)

My ds14 saw me carrying a few books downstairs just before lunch and asked what I was doing with them.  When I told them he asked if I could please read "Tootle".  I guess it was a favorite of his when he was younger.

I added Tootle to my (small) stack.  I read a Fancy Nancy book, because I knew my littles would enjoy it.  Frog and Toad came next (w/ plenty of giggles).  By this time ds was finished eating.  He said that I should read Tootle tomorrow.

My dd12 was not really on-board; she's been a bit moody.  :mellow:

After lunch ds asked if I got the idea from this forum.  When I told him yes, he said "Thought so." :)

Thanks everyone for your input!

Ah, 12-year old girls. It's hard to please them sometimes!  Keep at it though. Fun that your teen son had an opinion on what books to read. Recently one of my big girls admitted that lying in bed 'reading' the picture dictionary with my husband is one of her favorite memories. We all credit that habit with building robust vocabularies in our 18-month to three year-old children. To really appreciate this activity, you have to know my husband. He has a terrific sense of humor and loves to trick the little ones by giving things silly names. They caught on very quickly!

• Like 1

Also, if you're looking for good suggestions, I used the 1000 Good Books List from Classical Christian Education Support Loop:

http://www.classical-homeschooling.org/celoop/1000.html

There are four different lists, depending on the age of the student.  Each of my children had their own list and had marked those they wanted to read and those they had read. I still have the older kids' lists around here somewhere.

We found some of our favorite books this way. :001_smile:

Edited by Aretemama
  • Like 1

My dh reads to the kids every evening.  We choose a book that is entertaining like Don Quixote or a history book like Story of the World.  He sits at the top of the stairs, which is a central location.  He waits until the younger children are in bed.  The older children go about their evening, but everyone can hear.  Sometimes he may only read a chapter or two.  It is a great way to slip in more school reading to an unsuspecting, captive audience.  ;)

• Like 1

Books for finding good books:

Honey for  Child's Heart

Books that Build Character

A Thomas Jefferson Education (book list in the back)

SOTW Activity Guides 1-4 (literature lists in each chapter related to each SOTW 1-4 chapter)

Google "Award Winning Children's Books" from the American Library Association's website

• Like 1

We read aloud about 2 hours a day, 5-6 days a week until our kids go to college. We start out at 10-15 minute read alouds and work our way up to 45-60 minutes by early-middle elementary school. 

We read aloud:

at the beginning of school every day (Bible and another read aloud)

in the afternoon any literature related to SOTW (or sometimes just general literature) 

after dinner (my husband has a read aloud of his choosing going)

before bed (I have a read aloud going that the youngest chose from a pile of mom approved books )

Our kids are free to do any quiet activities while we read aloud: arts & crafts, eating a snack, construction toys, dolls, bouncing on a gymnastics ball, tumbling on a gymnastics mat, etc.  My college kids will sometimes come in and do homework and listen to dad read their favorites aloud to little sister.

• Like 1

We read Tootle today!  I think that this time slot is going to work.  The kids are a captive audience, and I don't eat lunch with them anyway.  (I'm gluten-free and their lunch is usually gluten-ful).

I started listening to the podcast that was mentioned above.  I guess that I always thought that having someone read to you after you could read on your own was a cop-out.  I didn't realize that it was another way to learn.  I had a teacher in 4th grade and one in 8th who read to us every day after lunch.  I just thought it was a way to kill time and readjust to sitting at a desk for a few more hours.

Also, I am very visual and I hate being read to.  I need to see it!!  However, I have at least two strong auditory kids, so I think read-alouds will especially benefit them.  And this might be the reason dd12 is not really thrilled.  She's very visual/kinesthetic.

Thanks for all of the advice in getting me started on this adventure!

My ds14 saw me carrying a few books downstairs just before lunch and asked what I was doing with them. When I told them he asked if I could please read "Tootle". I guess it was a favorite of his when he was younger.

I added Tootle to my (small) stack. I read a Fancy Nancy book, because I knew my littles would enjoy it. Frog and Toad came next (w/ plenty of giggles). By this time ds was finished eating. He said that I should read Tootle tomorrow.

My dd12 was not really on-board; she's been a bit moody. :mellow:

I needed to Google tootle. I'm glad you ate finding something to read aloud. I can't see the ages of your kids, but the books you listed are titles I would read to my little kids. If your 12yo is complaining (and my 7&9 would be) I would choose books for HER age, not the littles.

• Like 1

I still read picture books to my youngest, but that's outside of our "read aloud." My oldest will usually drift on over to listen and look at the pictures (still).

But when I say "read aloud," I mean the longer book we're currently reading. It's often been above the reading level of my kids (though that's not necessarily the case with my oldest). We started with "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" five years ago when my oldest was around the same age as my youngest. Their listening stamina has increased with practice so our selections have changed over the years. I usually read at the dinner table, but sometimes it spills over into the living room after dinner.

We also listen to a separate audiobook in the car instead of listening to music. So I suppose technically we have two "read alouds" going at once. I have purchased a few from Audible, but mostly I check them out from the library.

We're re-reading the Harry Potter series at my dd's request while also listening to the Tiffany Aching series on audiobook. It led to an interesting discussion comparing Minerva Mcgonagall with Mistress Weatherwax. The other night we were also talking about the theme of family in Harry Potter (the one you're born into vs. the one you choose and why mom always cries more when Sirius dies than when Dumbledore does).

For audiobooks, we've loved David Tennant reading Cressida Cowell's "How to Train Your Dragon" series. Susan Denacker reading Jeanne Birdsall's "The Penderwicks" series is also lovely.

All of this is separate from whatever I read aloud for school subjects which for my younger ones includes their literature selections, SOTW, picture books for history/science, etc.

I third (?) the suggestion of Jim Trelease's "Read Aloud Handbook." His website also has some recommendations ations - http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/booklist.html. Pam Allyn also several books of lists including "What to Read When" and "Best Books for Boys." Oh, or Nancy Pearl! She mostly recommends books for adults - http://www.npr.org/people/6395311/nancy-pearl - but she has one for kids and teens called "Book Crush."

• Like 1

I needed to Google tootle. I'm glad you ate finding something to read aloud. I can't see the ages of your kids, but the books you listed are titles I would read to my little kids. If your 12yo is complaining (and my 7&9 would be) I would choose books for HER age, not the littles.

I talked to dd12 about this last night.  She says reading aloud is too slow and she also doesn't like to hear the voice of just one person at lunchtime.  Also, she just doesn't like to be read to.  (She is my complainer; can you tell?) :)

I purposely have been choosing books for my littles because I haven't found a time to read just to my older kids.  Our days are so busy, I just haven't figured out a good time to do this.  Any ideas?

My dd7 is very sensitive, so I have to be mindful of this if she is in the room.  Swiper (on the Dora tv show) still scares her.  The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse gives her nightmares.  It would be impossible for me to read a book appropriate for my older kids if she is nearby.  I was a little concerned about Mickey and the Beanstalk.

Thank you!

I took Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook recs and put them into grade level lists. They are linked in my signature below. I have Preschool through 4th grade up so far.

We read aloud at lunch. While they eat, I read. I have one read aloud going that they all listen to, then I have an individual read aloud for my 2nd grader and my 5th grader. They are only required to listen to the family read aloud and their individual one, but 90% of the time they stay for all of it. I read aloud at other times of the day as well as part of our homeschool, but lunch time is specifically set aside for good quality fiction books that aren't specifically tied to anything we're studying.

• Like 1

We always read aloud before bed with everyone.  It's usually me doing the reading. I read aloud after lunch too, but if we are super busy I let that session slide.

I also have my dc read aloud to me as part of their school work. Once they are past the decoding & stumbling stage, I often let them pick.

The big three like to read to Baby Girl.  She gets read to often.  She hunts you down, book in hand.  

• Like 1

I talked to dd12 about this last night. She says reading aloud is too slow and she also doesn't like to hear the voice of just one person at lunchtime. Also, she just doesn't like to be read to. (She is my complainer; can you tell?) :)

I purposely have been choosing books for my littles because I haven't found a time to read just to my older kids. Our days are so busy, I just haven't figured out a good time to do this. Any ideas?

My dd7 is very sensitive, so I have to be mindful of this if she is in the room. Swiper (on the Dora tv show) still scares her. The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse gives her nightmares. It would be impossible for me to read a book appropriate for my older kids if she is nearby. I was a little concerned about Mickey and the Beanstalk.

Thank you!

I think it's great that you are reading to your younger ones!

I would look for books that don't have a lot of dialogue,that have lots and lots of descriptive passages. Use Different voices for different characters, make them each have their own voice. This is a skill, and like all skills takes practice.

If you absolutely have to read to all of the kids at once and cannot find a way to separate themI would read fables and myths and short stories (one that might work is"my grandma's attic") I would look for ones would be okay for your sensitive one, but have enough deeper content to discuss with the older ones. But... maybe there are others with a wide spread than mine that will have good advice.

I do think that reading hard, quality books that were above my kids reading levels had been one of the single beast things we've done in school.

• Like 1