Menu

Has anyone signed up for the Read-Aloud Revival Membership site?

Guest theashken

Guest theashken

I have loved listening to the Read Aloud Revival pod casts, but I am on the fence about signing up and paying a monthly fee. Would it truly be valuable?

I know that Sarah Mackenzie offers a money back guarantee, but just wanted to see if anyone has joined and what their experience has been so far. 

Guest theashken

I joined!! I am really enjoying the workshop content and I think as it grows I will love it even more.

Thanks for sharing! I think I may check it out. I think my frugal nature is just adverse to a monthly fee...lol!

We have a strong read aloud rhythm/routine, but the author events and other extras would be nice. But then I think do I "need" it? Decisions...decisions...

Have not and don't plan to. I have listened to most of the podcasts, and I found only a couple that were really worthwhile. I very much agree with the premise (build your family culture around reading), but I just don't think Mackenzie herself has anything special to contribute to the field. I mean, "Don't choose a difficult book for your first family read-aloud"? That's advice? And this is someone who is out there on the conference circuit now? Is she saving all her really insightful advice for those who pay? I kind of doubt it.

Even the best guests just seem to be going over the same old ground, things they talk about again and again at conferences. And the weaker guests don't really have anything to offer. Do I need someone to talk to me for 40 minutes to tell me that Beatrix Potter, Winnie The Pooh, The Wind In The Willows, and A Child's Garden Of Verses are essential classics? I guess maybe some people do, and maybe those are the people who will get something out of paying for a members-only site.

My impression is that this could have been a nice focused 12-part series. Instead it has gotten out of control and there are delusions of grandeur involved.

• Like 5

I signed up though I'm not sure I will continue indefinitely.  I wanted to check it out and I think some of the podcasts look really good.  If the new content continues to be good I will continue to pay.  Sometimes the motivation for doing the things I know I should be doing is worth $5 per month :)  especially when I'm in the throes of running a household and homeschooling with 5 kids from 15 to new baby.  I spend at least $5 each month picking up a Starbucks (or 3 Jack's iced coffee - which are great BTW) just as a pick me up, so I see no difference. 

As far as Sarah McKenzie herself, I heard her speak at Greenville at GHC.  She seems very genuine and like she is really trying hard to apply all these things about classical education, centering your family culture on books and teaching from rest to her real life!  And she's willing to share about it - the failures and successes!  I'm sure she isn't perfect but I got a lot of encouragement from her Teaching From Rest books.  As a speaker, she's entertaining and holds your attention well.  She was more interesting and engaging than several other more experienced speakers I heard in Greenville.

I just can't justify the price. Which is silly, because it's only 5 dollars a month....but hey that's 60 dollars a year. I could buy several books/podcasts that I choose myself for that amount, and is the content going to be comparable to what I'd choose myself?

But while I enjoy her blog/podcast, I'll admit that I skim over every third or so post and only listen to half of the podcasts. I do not struggle to read aloud, and while I think Sarah Mckenzie is very enthusiastic and genuine, I see her more as a contemporary than a mentor. Every once in awhile I am reminded of something I've slacked on, or I get a good idea, but she hasn't changed my schooling.

If you are a true Read Aloud Revival fan, love all the content, struggle to read aloud, or just plain need the inspiration, go for it. There are worse things to spend your money on. If Cindy Rollins rolled out a membership site I'd be on it in a second flat! Heck if 8 started one I'd be counting pennies.

• Like 7

I did it b/c even though I love books and reading with my kids sometimes I get in a rut. I haven't walked away from any of the free podcasts or paid content without a few new ideas and inspiration. And I usually walk away with a bunch of new books on our reading list and a huge desire to stop everything else we are doing and read with my kids. That feels like it is worth $5 to me!

I haven't because I didn't want to pay $5 a month, and wasn't sure how much more I'd get out of it than just reading her blog and listening to the podcasts. Words like "printables" made me think "more busywork" for me, and I certainly don't need that (especially to pay for it!) lol. However, I joined the FB group for free, and I've enjoyed some of the discussions there.

• 5 months later...

I wanted to bring this back up because I am considering it, but it is now $10 a month...Has anyone here signed up?...Is it worth $100-$120 a year?

No, I don't think so. I bought in when it first was started. I enjoy the podcasts and like the special classes, but no, I don't think it's worth that much.

I wanted to bring this back up because I am considering it, but it is now $10 a month...Has anyone here signed up?...Is it worth $100-$120 a year?

I signed up when it was $5 a month, and even at that price I've decided that it's not worth it for me to continue. Admittedly, I have not taken the time to use much of what's available on the membership site, but that's probably because I don't feel that I need it, and I have bigger fish to fry in my homeschool. Our family culture is already built around books and we love to read aloud, and while there's some valuable content at the RAR site, when I find myself in need of advice or information, I can generally find it elsewhere.

That said, I appreciate Sarah's enthusiasm, and she is inspiring to listen to and read (I absolutely loved Teaching from Rest). So if you have the extra money to spend, and feel like you need some ongoing motivation to make reading aloud a significant aspect of your family's life, then you might try it out. It's not risking anything except some of your time, since she will issue a refund if you decide it's not for you. HTH!