Menu

Starting a new routine with 2 kids with a large age gap

JRmommy

I'm realizing that my dd who is turning 3 years old this summer wants more and more from me.  She sees her big brother doing school, and she wants to join in on the fun! :)  I used to be able to give her a tub of legos, a couple of puzzles/tangrams, and some kitchen/food toys and that would keep her busy.  I always start off the morning giving her some mom and me time by reading, singing, dancing, etc.  However, she wants more.  Today, she asked for a piece of paper and pencil and sat at her little table just as her brother does at his table.  She came back to me with the biggest grin and told me that she wrote the letter H.  And surely, she did!  All of my local homeschool friends have more than 2 kids so it is easier to pair up an older one with a younger one.  I'd be interested if anyone has experience or even ideas on a routine for a very precocious 3 year old and 9 year old.

With just one little and one big, I'd get the big started on a list of things he can do independently, and I'd spend 30-60 minutes with your preschooler, whatever she is up for. We really liked the book lists from Wee Folk Art this year, and I google "free preschool pack" for themed worksheets that my little ones love. Then I'd set up a semi-independent project -- things to cut and glue, paint, play dough, lacing cards, beads and string, pattern blocks, sheets with things to match, whatever, and I'd encourage her to work while you work with your big kid. But, little one first!

• Like 1

Thank you! I'm always so ready to start school with the oldest, that I do move things along with the youngest as quickly as possible. However, 30-60 min with her while he does independent work is a great approach! And thanks for the reminder for Wee Folk Art. I bookmarked it a while back. It will be perfect for her!

With just one little and one big, I'd get the big started on a list of things he can do independently, and I'd spend 30-60 minutes with your preschooler, whatever she is up for. We really liked the book lists from Wee Folk Art this year, and I google "free preschool pack" for themed worksheets that my little ones love. Then I'd set up a semi-independent project -- things to cut and glue, paint, play dough, lacing cards, beads and string, pattern blocks, sheets with things to match, whatever, and I'd encourage her to work while you work with your big kid. But, little one first!

• Like 1