Menu

I'm going back to school!

OnTheBrink

I met with the academic advisor today. I'm finishing my BA in Liberal Studies, and potentially planning on a Masters degree, too. I'm in the online program and registered for two classes for fall. Because of my (ahem) age, I can potentially knock out 12 units by doing some prior learning portfolios. 

So, my dd and I will be college students together!

• Like 19

Congrats! I'm starting a 2nd bachelor's in Communicative Disorders next month as the first step towards becoming a speech & language pathologist. The textbooks for the courses I'm taking this summer just arrived today. I'm nervous because it's been 16 years since I finished my 1st bachelor's but also excited.

• Like 8

Congrats. I"m finishing up 4th semester on a 2nd Bachelors. I have 2 more and then grad school. At first it was odd, since with the exception of one professor, I'm older than the students AND the professors :) It's been great though and the students lots of fun. 

ETA: come jump into the group for us back-to-schoolers :)

• Like 2

At first it was odd, since with the exception of one professor, I'm older than the students AND the professors :)

I've been reading through bios of professors at various grad schools I'm researching and I have to say it does make me feel a bit old to see that a large percentage are younger than me. Oh, well, I guess this is the first time in my academic career where I bring "diversity" to the class.

• Like 4

One thing I have noticed, however, is that the professors relate to me a little differently. More on an equal footing than professor/student. It took a little getting used to, I'll admit.  Especially since most of them told me to call them by first name. I would NEVER have done that as a regular age college student :)