Menu

Dontcha feel like a doofus when...

Ginevra

You stomp all over the house, fussing that someone took the good scissors and they are not where they belong...

Only to open your bookbag and realize they are in your pencil case, because you had to cut out a project on the go. Oops.

• Like 17

But you (general you) get to take off the doofus hat if you apologize to everyone for acting like a doofus and have a laugh at yourself. On the other hand, you have to wear it twice as long if you insist--after having found the scissors--that you weren't the one who put them in there in the first place. I get THAT kind of thing a lot. (Yeah, kid, I tiptoed into your room and slid your homework assignment into the pocket of your backpack while you were elsewhere complaining you couldn't find it.)

• Like 6

Yep. Good way to model asking forgiveness and that even mommy can make a mistake. Kids will remember that you admitted it.

I usually can't find something because it is on the counter right next to me at the moment.

For certain! Good way to remember that anyone, including me, can forget where they put something, even if 100% meaning to put it where it belongs.

You stomp all over the house, fussing that someone took the good scissors and they are not where they belong...

Only to open your bookbag and realize they are in your pencil case, because you had to cut out a project on the go. Oops.

Oh yes!  One of my most vivid memories from childhood is of my mother calling loudly in the house "Who took my good orange scissors!?!"  The sacred orange scissors!  I would be embarrassed to confess how often I say those very words! 

• Like 2

Oh, gosh yes, been there done that.  Again, and again, and again, and again, and again....

And DD13 is at the age where 90% of the time upon discovering she has just committed this same oops insists quite strongly that she did NOT put it there.  I'm proud of the 10% of the time she acknowledges she was the culprit and gets on with dealing with feeling sheepish.

• Like 1

Oh yes!  One of my most vivid memories from childhood is of my mother calling loudly in the house "Who took my good orange scissors!?!"  The sacred orange scissors!  I would be embarrassed to confess how often I say those very words! 

I have TWO pair of orange handled scissors in the kitchen.  One pair is kitchen shears I use on food -- heaven help the fool who uses them on non-food items!  The other are my good Teflon-coated scissors that I paid good money for after constantly having to hunt only to find old, cruddy, dull things.

I have a shorter pair or orange-handled scissors on the home school table.  They live there, and everyone knows it.  They had better KEEP living there if Mama is to remain happy!

Sewing shears are for sewing boxes only, and only allowed to be brought out for some sewing-related task.  I have a pair and DD13 now has a pair (in her own sewing box).  Any mishandling of these will be severely punished.

We have some 6-12 other pairs of scissors migrating throughout the house, in various states of functionality.  These tend to get tracked down at Christmas time, but the rest of the time they wander away.

I know full well the importance of the sacred scissors!  It's Mama's only hope of EVER getting to use a pair in good shape!

• Like 2