Menu

tipping

solascriptura

This list said to tip grocery baggers $1 per bag. There is no way I'm tipping someone $10 to put my groceries in a bag and walk them to my car. That's just crazy talk...

Actually, according to the article, most of the time supermarket bagger is a "non tipping" category. Tipping would be only if the store allows it, and if the person does something above and beyond. So that will help you can save your tip money for when it's the right time to tip. :)

From the article:

• Supermarket bagger: This was the most confusing category I found. Most responses on forums around the web say that people don't tip supermarket baggers and in many cases baggers aren't allowed to accept tips. However, Tipping.org recommends tipping $1 per bag. As with other tipping advice, the "above and beyond" rule might apply here: Consider tipping if the person brings your bags out to the car or does something extra.

This list said to tip grocery baggers $1 per bag. There is no way I'm tipping someone $10 to put my groceries in a bag and walk them to my car. That's just crazy talk. If they only do that 3 times per hour they are earning $30 an hour. Again, that's just crazy talk for a bagger to earn that much money. Now I know everyone isn't doing a big shopping trip but those little ones would add up fast too. 

I tip $2 for a small trip, $3 to $4 for my regular trips, and $5 at Christmas time. I do find that I tip senior citizens more because I feel bad that they are having to spend their retirement years out in our Florida heat.

Actually, it says another website named tipping.org suggested it. However, Lifehacker suggested doing it if you are helped out to the car.

• Supermarket bagger: This was the most confusing category I found. Most responses on forums around the web say that people don't tip supermarket baggers and in many cases baggers aren't allowed to accept tips. However, Tipping.org recommends tipping $1 per bag. As with other tipping advice, the "above and beyond" rule might apply here: Consider tipping if the person brings your bags out to the car or does something extra.

Once, I had my gas pumped at a station in New Jersey and I paid by card. The attendant kept waiting by my window making me very uncomfortable. I didn't know why because some cultures have a very different understanding of personal space. After a few seconds he said, "tip?" I then replied, "uh, no." Was I supposed to tip him? Why? I paid by card because I never have any cash on me. Why was he soliciting a tip? He didn't go beyond the norm by washing my windshield or checking my oil like in the past. He just pumped my gas. Sheesh. I never went there again because the whole situation annoyed me. Maybe, I was wrong. Should I tip every single service person that I encounter? It's endless. Please, please. I wish this tipping culture would end. I just can't figure it out.

• Like 2

Actually, it says another website named tipping.org suggested it. However, Lifehacker suggested doing it if you are helped out to the car.

My focus: "grocery baggers mostly fall in the non-tipper category. Problem solved."

Your focus: "I'm not paying $1/bag to grocery baggers. Problem solved."

My take-away: many ways to solve problems. ;)

• Like 1

My focus: "grocery baggers mostly fall in the non-tipper category. Problem solved."

Your focus: "I'm not paying $1/bag to grocery baggers. Problem solved."

My take-away: many ways to solve problems. ;)

Unfortunately at the commissary, the baggers aren't paid. They are totally dependent on tips. Of course, that doesn't mean I want to make them independently wealthy by giving them a buck a bag. Crazy talk, I tell ya.

Unfortunately at the commissary, the baggers aren't paid. They are totally dependent on tips. Of course, that doesn't mean I want to make them independently wealthy by giving them a buck a bag. Crazy talk, I tell ya.

I honestly don't understand the buck a bag thing. Is it regional? Sometimes the baggers put 2 items in a bag and give me about 10 bags for about half cart of groceries. I then started to fret about the waste and bring cloth bags now.

I honestly don't understand the buck a bag thing. Is it regional? Sometimes the baggers put 2 items in a bag and give me about 10 bags for about half cart of groceries. I then started to fret about the waste and bring cloth bags now.

I was wondering if it is regional too. Maybe in areas where there is a higher cost of living? I had always thought I was being more than fair until I saw the dollar per bag recommendation. One day I'll have to ask a bagger at the commissary what their average tip is.

I think the tip being based on the number of bags started back when we had regular paper grocery bags that held a decent amount of food. 

PS. I wish we would go back to regular grocery sacks. There are a couple of stores I frequent that use them and I LOVE them. 

• Like 1

Adding summer camp counselors to the tip list. It's how they earn most of their money in my area.

Our kids were part of a theater program for years and the program had summer day camps that ran 9-3 Monday through Friday.  When our kids turned 14, they were encouraged to apply to be camp interns, which meant that were there from 8:30 until at least 3:30 every day for the week they worked, for no pay. Ok, they got a t-shirt and snack at snack time.  The group is still running this program and it really annoys me because the interns were responsible for kids as young as 5 and if they are making them responsible, they should be paying them. 

Our kids did it one year but no way were they going back the next year.  The parents paid $195 for their kids to attend this camp and I don't think they should have been expected to tip their camp counselors. I'm almost sure they didn't even know the kids weren't paid until their own kids turned 14 and were invited to become interns.  

Once, I had my gas pumped at a station in New Jersey and I paid by card. The attendant kept waiting by my window making me very uncomfortable. I didn't know why because some cultures have a very different understanding of personal space. After a few seconds he said, "tip?" I then replied, "uh, no." Was I supposed to tip him? Why? I paid by card because I never have any cash on me. Why was he soliciting a tip? He didn't go beyond the norm by washing my windshield or checking my oil like in the past. He just pumped my gas. Sheesh. I never went there again because the whole situation annoyed me. Maybe, I was wrong. Should I tip every single service person that I encounter? It's endless. Please, please. I wish this tipping culture would end. I just can't figure it out.

No one tips gas station attendants in New Jersey.

No one.

Ever.

Never, ever, ever.

The guy was trying to pull a fast one on you.

• Like 1

No one tips gas station attendants in New Jersey.

No one.

Ever.

Never, ever, ever.

The guy was trying to pull a fast one on you.

Yeah, he probably was trying to pull a fast one.  Instead, he got the reverse.  I no longer go there at all despite passing there all the time.  

• Like 1

I also question whether the tip should be lower for fast food delivery if it is a very short trip. We have a few pizza and sub delivery places about 2 miles away from my house. I of course I still tip them but should I be tipping them the same as someone who I know had to drive 20 min instead?

I also never know what do do about the chain massage places. I got a membership a few years ago but due to medical problems I wasnt up to driving to where I needed to go. Now one opened up closer to me so it's easier to go. I have about 15 massages accumulated but get a new one automatically added each month. I want to cancel my contract but can't until I use all the massages up. I go for chronic pain so it is helpful to go often. The problem is that they suggest 15-20 percent of the non member rate. I got the membership to save money. I think pay around 40 a month. The non member rate is double and since I get a 90 min massage it is even more than that. I can't afford to pay a 20-25 dollar tip every week and it kind of defeats the purpose of getting the membership to save money.

In the states? How is that even legal? 

I also question whether the tip should be lower for fast food delivery if it is a very short trip. We have a few pizza and sub delivery places about 2 miles away from my house. I of course I still tip them but should I be tipping them the same as someone who I know had to drive 20 min instead?

I also never know what do do about the chain massage places. I got a membership a few years ago but due to medical problems I wasnt up to driving to where I needed to go. Now one opened up closer to me so it's easier to go. I have about 15 massages accumulated but get a new one automatically added each month. I want to cancel my contract but can't until I use all the massages up. I go for chronic pain so it is helpful to go often. The problem is that they suggest 15-20 percent of the non member rate. I got the membership to save money. I think pay around 40 a month. The non member rate is double and since I get a 90 min massage it is even more than that. I can't afford to pay a 20-25 dollar tip every week and it kind of defeats the purpose of getting the membership to save money.

Curious about this one as I have considered one of those places. Unfortunately the tip is usually what prevents me from getting a massage because I can't swing the cost of both.

In the states? How is that even legal? 

When my husband delivered flowers as a third job about ten plus years ago, all he received was tips, some gas money and a choice of flowers for me. He did this during the holidays though, not as a full-time or part time gig.

(We were both custodial and neither of our exes were made to be responsible when it came to child support. Now they are grown though, we made it through. :) )