Menu

tipping

solascriptura

Despite being an American, I am often befuddled by the tipping culture. Who do I need to tip? Fine. I know to tip at restaurants and the hair salon, but what about tipping services that are paid quite well? Do I tip the house inspector or the chimney inspector? What about a plumber or electrician? I'm so confused. I don't want to offend anyone, but some of these guys are paid extremely well for just a few hours of work.

• Like 1

Despite being an American, I am often befuddled by the tipping culture. Who do I need to tip? Fine. I know to tip at restaurants and the hair salon, but what about tipping services that are paid quite well? Do I tip the house inspector or the chimney inspector? What about a plumber or electrician? I'm so confused. I don't want to offend anyone, but some of these guys are paid extremely well for just a few hours of work.

Tip at hair salon and restaurants. Don't tip the house inspector or the chimney sweep or the plumber or electrician. Why? Because. :-)

• Like 9

restaurants, food delivery, hair salons, hotel housekeeping. Other than that it's usually a case by case basis. For instance, we tipped the lady that processed our chickens for us. It doesn't seem like pleasant work and I doubt she was paid much. I appreciated what she did and wanted her to know that. My dd worked for a house cleaning company and got some awesome tips and gifts at Christmas. It was much appreciated by that poor college student.

• Like 3

Adding to the tip list:

Valets

Porters

Pizza (or other food) delivery

Hotel Housekeeping (saw someone else mention that, but thought it ought to be repeated)

In general, professionals don't get tipped (don't think white collar, but profession - like plumber or engineer).  Those working for usually lower wages (or just tips) do.

• Like 2

I tip the waiter in a restaurant that serves me at the table.  I don't tip for takeout where I stand at the counter to get my food.

I tip the stylist who doesn't own the salon.

I don't tip the various home contractors.

I don't tip the various delivery men who are usually in their truck and driving away before I even know I have a package.

as for porters - I've had porters who demand a tip, and others who have refused a tip.

Tipping boggles and confuses, but I also live in a state where all the typical tip jobs are paid quite a high minimum wage. I try to tip whenever the service is excellent somewhere, and always tip generously at restaurants unless the service is atrocious (in which case I speak to management and eschew a tip) but I secretly wish I didn't have to tip constantly for things that aren't above and beyond basic service. I feel terrible admitting it, especially as someone who worked almost exclusively in the hospitality and service industries, but a whole lot of work doesn't deserve a tip on top. I wish it could be saved for employees doing a remarkable job and that in ALL states the minimum wage was applied to these industries, so they aren't having to rely on tips to make up the gap in the wages for their work.

I wish the tipping customs in the US would end. Pay people what they're worth. Done. 

I don't understand why Starbucks or Chipotle has a tip jar but Culver's or Chick Fil A doesn't. They are both making my food- and often at Culver's or Chick Fil A they bring my food to my table and refill my drink. 

I should tip the hotel housekeeper but not the lady at Walmart who keeps the bathrooms clean. (And ours is quite clean)

When I stay at a hotel I should tip the concierge if ask for a restaurant recommendation but if the hotel has no concierge and I ask the desk clerk, no tip is expected. 

When my car dealer drives me home (and then picks me back up) when my car is serviced, they accept no tips. But when I pay for a cab ride, a tip is expected. 

It's too confusing, and annoying because some who work just as hard for little pay aren't tipped. So just end it.  

• Like 15

I'm not trying to be cheap at all. In fact, I'm a very generous person ;) but tipping just plain old confuses me. Once, I got a free estimate for a plumbing job and then my husband asked me if I tipped the guys. What? I was supposed to do that? It was a free estimate. So confused.

For all those in jobs with vague tipping rules, please don't be offended if you don't get a tip. Sometimes, we the clients, are just plain clueless that we were supposed to tip.

• Like 4

I'm not trying to be cheap at all. In fact, I'm a very generous person ;) but tipping just plain old confuses me. Once, I got a free estimate for a plumbing job and then my husband asked me if I tipped the guys. What? I was supposed to do that? It was a free estimate. So confused.

For all those in jobs with vague tipping rules, please don't be offended if you don't get a tip. Sometimes, we the clients, are just plain clueless that we were supposed to tip.

I would not have tipped in that situation.  I see no need to tip plumbers at all - unless you think they have really underpriced their services I suppose.

Plumbing is a profession with a living wage.

• Like 3

I wish ... that in ALL states the minimum wage was applied to these industries, so they aren't having to rely on tips to make up the gap in the wages for their work.

I do not consider minimum wage to be a living wage.  I would still tip in many places - and we even tip for take out (not as much as delivery or table service) if I think the employees are at minimum wage.

If I can afford to eat out, I can afford to tip IMO.  It's part of the cost.  (Or we choose places like fast food where there isn't a tip.)

• Like 3

I do not consider minimum wage to be a living wage. I would still tip in many places - and we even tip for take out (not as much as delivery or table service) if I think the employees are at minimum wage.

If I can afford to eat out, I can afford to tip IMO. It's part of the cost. (Or we choose places like fast food where there isn't a tip.)

I get your thinking, but I don't think fast food workers are paid a living wage either.

• Like 2

FYI, pizza delivery drivers do NOT get minimum wage when they are driving, only when working in the store. When they are delivering, they get about 3.35 an hour and then like 23 cents a mile. They DO NOT get the delivery fee either. They are out in all kinds of weather and it wears and tears on the car, so please tip your pizza delivery driver. (Disclaimer, my husband's second job is delivering pizza. I did tip well though before he ever delivered)

I tip at restaurants including buffets and take out. I tip delivery. I tip valets and housekeeping, porters, bartenders, taxi drivers, hair salon, dog groomers and in certain situations like Ishki mentioned.

• Like 2

Our state has no exemptions from minimum wage as the bottom, no benefits included minimum, unless someone is also being given room and board. Tips, health care, employee discounts, none of that is allowed to be factored into base minimum wage, which is as it should be. For entry level positions I think it's fine. Too much higher and less people, overall, will be employed. As a business owner now I can tell you that having it be cost prohibitive to hire employees doesn't help them or me.

I'd rather it just be built into the price than have to figure out tips.

Exactly. I don't mind paying 15-20% more and not tipping, and it is a business model gaining traction, thankfully. If I am looking to save money we just don't eat out!

Exactly. I don't mind paying 15-20% more and not tipping, and it is a business model gaining traction, thankfully. If I am looking to save money we just don't eat out!

When I think tip, I think something extra for service that is amazing and above and beyond.  But it's not like that.  I'm expected to tip even if the service isn't good.  I read on one site that even if the service is terrible I'm supposed to give 10%.  Yeah right.  I have only not tipped once.  It was that bad.  Plenty of people thought I wasn't in the right, but sorry it was truly horrific service and not something that was out of the control of the server either. 

And I've been on the receiving end where I've busted my hump and been told oh sorry I ran out of money so the tip is small.  It's hard not knowing if you'll make money from one week to the next.

:iagree: but this just isn't a tipping situation at all.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction between typical fast food and Chipotle and Starbucks.  I always see tip jars at the latter two, but not at Subway or Panera or Wendy's.  Why are tip jars customary at some places but not at others?  I've wondered that for quite a while! I know there is some explanation but I can't figure it out. 

I tip the waiter in a restaurant that serves me at the table.  I don't tip for takeout where I stand at the counter to get my food.

My husband used to tip at take out places with the understanding that it was partly going to the cooks (they were working pretty hard).  But it turned out whoever took the order got the tip, even though they were just standing around (and usually got the order wrong).  They didn't spread it around with everyone.  So he stopped tipping.  Servers can make a lot of money with tips.  The rest of the staff may not. 

I'm not sure where tip jar money goes, so that lessens my wanting to put money in there.

I seriously want tipping to stop.  I don't want to be bugged by servers coming by again and again just to prove to me they need a big tip.  Just raise the wage, raise prices if needed, and don't bother me with it anymore.

• Like 1

Adding summer camp counselors to the tip list. It's how they earn most of their money in my area.

:confused1:

My kids must go to a different sort of summer camp.  I'm having a hard time imagining how one would even tip camp staff -- my kids go to church camp that has dozens of volunteers/jr. staff.  But even for something like YMCA camp: I can't imagine slipping one of the counselors a $.  Who do I pick?  There's usually a dozen...

• Like 2

I'm not sure I understand the distinction between typical fast food and Chipotle and Starbucks.  I always see tip jars at the latter two, but not at Subway or Panera or Wendy's.  Why are tip jars customary at some places but not at others?  I've wondered that for quite a while! I know there is some explanation but I can't figure it out. 

I don't think there's an explanation.  I think it's based upon the whims of the owner/manager/franchise.

My husband used to tip at take out places with the understanding that it was partly going to the cooks (they were working pretty hard).  But it turned out whoever took the order got the tip, even though they were just standing around (and usually got the order wrong).  They didn't spread it around with everyone.  So he stopped tipping.  Servers can make a lot of money with tips.  The rest of the staff may not. 

We know the places we get take out from quite well (small towns).  In both places the cooks and the person who takes the order is pretty much the same person (or related).  These are small mom & pop places.  I could easily see it being different in different locations.

I'm not sure where tip jar money goes, so that lessens my wanting to put money in there.

I seriously want tipping to stop.  I don't want to be bugged by servers coming by again and again just to prove to me they need a big tip.  Just raise the wage, raise prices if needed, and don't bother me with it anymore.

I only worked one wait staff job.  I had to share tips with the bus/dishwasher person.  It was a very small pizza place.  Nobody else got tips. 

• Like 1

Our state has no exemptions from minimum wage as the bottom, no benefits included minimum, unless someone is also being given room and board. Tips, health care, employee discounts, none of that is allowed to be factored into base minimum wage, which is as it should be. For entry level positions I think it's fine. Too much higher and less people, overall, will be employed. As a business owner now I can tell you that having it be cost prohibitive to hire employees doesn't help them or me.

What state do you live in, please?  Do they not have two separate minimum wages: one for tipped employees and one for non-tipped?

question about pizza delivery -- if you put the tip on your credit card, does the delivery person get it?  All of it?

Good question.  I very rarely add the tip to the credit card receipt -- I usually try to have enough cash on hand for a cash tip handed to them personally.

• Like 1

I also tip tow truck drivers.  My dad used to be one, so I know how hard the job is.  And I know how much he always appreciated a tip. :)

This one never occurred to me, partly because when I needed a tow when younger I had AAA and very little cash on hand (which I then needed to get home).  How do you tip a tow truck driver, and how much?

I only worked one wait staff job.  I had to share tips with the bus/dishwasher person.  It was a very small pizza place.  Nobody else got tips. 

When I waited tables I was encouraged to give 10% of my tips to whomever bussed my tables.  The bussers work just as hard to make things nice for the customers but aren't given tips directly, and they tended to prioritize the tables of the waitstaff who shared.  When there are 5 tables that just emptied it requires a judgement call as to where to start.  If one waitstaff shares tips and the others don't that waitstaff's tables will be cleared and set sooner and quicker than the others, resulting in more seatings, more sales, and more tips.

I have on one occasion handed a separate tip to the busser specifically.  That young man worked his tail off taking care of everyone and helping the waitstaff during a big meal rush.  I told him I had already tipped the waiter, and that the tip I was handing him was for himself, for doing such a stellar job.  He was flabbergasted, but said Thank You.

• Like 1

I wish the tipping customs in the US would end. Pay people what they're worth. Done.

I don't understand why Starbucks or Chipotle has a tip jar but Culver's or Chick Fil A doesn't. They are both making my food- and often at Culver's or Chick Fil A they bring my food to my table and refill my drink.

I should tip the hotel housekeeper but not the lady at Walmart who keeps the bathrooms clean. (And ours is quite clean)

When I stay at a hotel I should tip the concierge if ask for a restaurant recommendation but if the hotel has no concierge and I ask the desk clerk, no tip is expected.

When my car dealer drives me home (and then picks me back up) when my car is serviced, they accept no tips. But when I pay for a cab ride, a tip is expected.

It's too confusing, and annoying because some who work just as hard for little pay aren't tipped. So just end it.

I am a good tipper, for the most part, but I so agree with you!

When a hotel offers a "free" shuttle to the airport, but a tip is expected by the shuttle driver, then it's not really free, is it? And yet I tip them. I just don't think it should be my responsibility to pay someone else's employees wages.

I don't, however, tip baristas, except at the locally-owned cafe where most of the baristas are hippy types. I live in a pretty conservative area, so hippy types are rare and the baristas at this particular coffee shop are really nice. I once worked at a coffee shop, before tipping in them was a big thing, and it is NOT that hard to make coffee drinks. I didn't get tips and I didn't expect them.

I went to a fozen yogurt shop where you squirt your own froyo into the cup, top it with whatever, put it on the scale, and then someone rings it up. There was a big tip jar, which got nothing from me. Why do they expect me to tip them for pushing buttons on the register!?!?

The thing is, EVERYONE likes extra money. So where does it end? I get tired of it, honestly.

Okay, I'll be quiet now.

• Like 4

What state do you live in, please?  Do they not have two separate minimum wages: one for tipped employees and one for non-tipped?

I don't know about the person the question was directed at, but in Oregon there is one minimum wage and no one is allowed to be paid below that. There is no separate minimum wage for tipped employees.

I don't know about the person the question was directed at, but in Oregon there is one minimum wage and no one is allowed to be paid below that. There is no separate minimum wage for tipped employees.

When I worked in Oregon, many years ago, I received minimum wage plus tips as a server. I think the dishwasher had to work harder than any of us servers and he wasn't getting any tips. Maybe he made more per hour, but I don't know.

When I worked in Oregon, many years ago, I received minimum wage plus tips as a server. I think the dishwasher had to work harder than any of us servers and he wasn't getting any tips. Maybe he made more per hour, but I don't know.

Yep, that is what I meant. Everyone makes at least minimum wage. Tips are on top of that. From what I understand in other states they can pay lower wages to people that are expected to get tips.

• Like 1

Adding summer camp counselors to the tip list. It's how they earn most of their money in my area.

:ohmy: Egads, I had no idea. I feel bad now. Definitely cheaper to pay a nanny in that case, though!

There is a debate about the new minimum wage here, because now the servers make tips and $15/hr and basically it's like getting tips because you're prettier. When I worked at restaurants around here, we split with the back--every server either gave 30% to the back if alone, or we'd split the difference between us to ensure that they got the tips we all got (so four working, we all gave 20% of tips, so they got 80% and so did we).

Apparently that isn't the norm anymore, which is wrong IMO. I'm going to have to start writing a separate tip for the kitchen.

The question of who gets tipped and why is i think often quite obscure.  The main rule seems to be that you don't tip someone making a salary rather than a wage, or someone self-employed.  But beyond that it is hard to guess.

I was really surprised the first time I used movers, and my husband bought them a pizza/beer/pop lunch and also tipped them.  I didn't mind at all, it is hard work for fairly low wages and a high rate of injury, but I had no idea - if it had been just me I wouldn't have thought of it.

When I was in university, i used to work as a hotdog vendor.  If I was working in the day, i was lucky to get enough in tips to cover my bus fare home.  But if I did a night shift out by the bars, I could easily get more than $100 in a night.  The bar people were often drunk of course but the main difference was they just expected to tip.

This one never occurred to me, partly because when I needed a tow when younger I had AAA and very little cash on hand (which I then needed to get home).  How do you tip a tow truck driver, and how much?

Most people did not tip him.  However, a couple of dollars was greatly appreciated, especially if it was a labor-intensive job (some cars are more difficult than others for something like a lock-out) or if it was in the middle of the night.  Also, if he was going to be towing the car for several hours a tip was appreciated so that he could get a coffee or soda for the ride.

AAA just recently changed a tire for my parents. My parents tipped the man who came out. Why? They pay the membership so why do they now have to tip someone for the service they've paid for? I don't get it. And I wouldn't have known it was expected.

My dad did not expect tips as a general rule.  However, he did always appreciate when he got them.  Ten years later he can still remember many of the people who tipped him for a job.  He owned his own tow truck, so he was on call 24/7/365.  When he had to go out at 2 in the morning, or on Christmas, or in nasty weather, he was especially appreciative.

• Like 1

question about pizza delivery -- if you put the tip on your credit card, does the delivery person get it?  All of it?

Yes, they get the entire tip. However the delivery charges are $2.50 and some people think that is a tip for the driver and it is NOT.

They get minimum wage when in the store and when driving they pay them 3.35 and .23 a mile. Then whatever tips they get from people.

They get their tips and mileage the end of the night. The hourly wage they get biweekly.

the server who processes the order (who makes the ticket and has your ticket counted as part of their sales) has to claim 10% as taxable income, even if they don't get paid a tip-- this doesn't make me tip them if I don't feel they do anything, but it is the reality of the situation--- some places have a different system for who makes the ticket, but usually it is a server or the bartender

• Like 1

Here's a helpful list of who to/not to tip in this Lifehacker article.

This list said to tip grocery baggers $1 per bag. There is no way I'm tipping someone $10 to put my groceries in a bag and walk them to my car. That's just crazy talk. If they only do that 3 times per hour they are earning $30 an hour. Again, that's just crazy talk for a bagger to earn that much money. Now I know everyone isn't doing a big shopping trip but those little ones would add up fast too. 

I tip $2 for a small trip, $3 to $4 for my regular trips, and $5 at Christmas time. I do find that I tip senior citizens more because I feel bad that they are having to spend their retirement years out in our Florida heat.