Menu

Age 12 - Must reads for kids this age?

My daughter has always been a big reader. It's sad that she's getting older! I'm always careful to make sure the books she reads are age appropriate (I'll be waiting until 13 for her to read The Hunger Games).

I'm wondering if there are any great books that she wouldn't have been ready for before, but would now. She's a mature 12 year old, but I definitely don't want any books with sex in them at all.

Just wanting to make sure we don't miss anything great. She loves a good variety of books including historical fiction.

• Like 1

Some good ones I remember from middle school:

The Bronze Bow

The Hiding Place

The Giver (dystopia but no se#ual innuendo)

Hinds Feet on High Places

The Yearling

The Hobbit

Patricia St. John books

Tom Sawyer and Mark Twain 

Watership Down 

Island of the Blue Dolphins and other Scott O'Dell books

Anne of Green Gables

The Newberry Award list has some books that are great for his age as well. I think one of my ds, who read through the list, was finishing the list up in 6th grade. Unfortunately, the newer titles tend to have heavier themes. 

There are some good books from Lamplighter Publishing that my dd enjoyed as well.

Lisa

• Like 1

What about The Outsiders?  My dd read it this year and was utterly blown away - it became her favorite book. Definitely not something I'd have wanted her to read before 12.  She also read Holes, The Wednesday Wars, and Okay for Now which were suggestions from Farar from a "What to read if you loved The Outsiders" thread.

Other slightly more mature books she's read recently include Steelheart and Firefight by Brandon Sanderson and The House of the Scorpion and The Lord of Opium by Nancy Farmer.  And The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

She's also enjoyed Agatha Christie books this year, plus The Maltese Falcon, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Friendly Persuasion, and Shane.

Just yesterday she inhaled the first David Eddings Belgariad book, Pawn of Prophecy.  She loved it so much she immediately read it again and is impatiently waiting for the rest of the series to come from the library.

It was also a good year to read and discuss slightly darker lit, like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, The Invisible Man, and Macbeth.

• Like 5

I'm not going to try to sort out "books that are okay for 12 year olds that might not be okay for 10 year olds", so it's possible, nay, probable that she's encountered some of these before. However, they are all, I can attest, *interesting* to 12 year olds, even those who have already read The Hunger Games :)

Historical fiction off-the-top-of-my-head options:

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

One Crazy Summer

Dragonwings

The Pickpocket's Tale

Back Home (mentions of skinnydipping at a "free school" - this must have been common at those schools, because other books I've read set in those schools have almost the same exact line about other people complaining and the students retorting that they shouldn't look if they don't like it!)

Out of Many Waters

The War That Saved My Life (serious child abuse bookends the story)

The Great Brain

Al Capone Does My Shirts

When My Name Was Keoko (this one can be intense)

The Mighty Miss Malone

Dave at Night

Celeste's Harlem Renaissance

The Sky is Falling

Esperanza Rising

Fantasy/sci-fi works that spring instantly to mind:

Earthsea

The Dalemark Quartet

Vodnik

A Face Like Glass

Cuckoo Song

Fly By Night

Un Lun Dun

Dangerous

Book of a Thousand Days

Princess Academy (ignore the stupid title)

Nine Pound Hammer

Monster Blood Tattoo (very dense!)

The Peculiar

Cinder (you might want to pre-read)

The Floating Islands

Mirror of Fire and Dreaming (the second book is better)

Fall of a Kingdom (first book is a bit slow, mostly set-up, but it pays off)

The Search For WondLa

So You Want to Be a Wizard

Hammer of Witches

Breadcrumbs

Akata Witch

Zahrah the Windseeker

Under the Root

The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm

• Like 3

Anne of Green Gables

Oliver Twist

The Giver

Little Women

The Hobbit

Bambi

A Wrinkle in Time

The Light Princess and Other Stories, Phantastes or others by George MacDonald

The City of Ember (and the rest of the series)

Heidi

Gene Stratton-Porter's books - DD loved Laddie: A True Blue Story, but Freckles and A Girl of the Limberlost are good, too.

Rumer Godden has some good stuff, maybe An Episode of Sparrows or Gypsy Girl

anything by Elizabeth Enright

• Like 1

What about The Outsiders?  My dd read it this year and was utterly blown away - it became her favorite book. Definitely not something I'd have wanted her to read before 12.  She also read Holes, The Wednesday Wars, and Okay for Now which were suggestions from Farar from a "What to read if you loved The Outsiders" thread.

Other slightly more mature books she's read recently include Steelheart and Firefight by Brandon Sanderson and The House of the Scorpion and The Lord of Opium by Nancy Farmer.  And The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

She's also enjoyed Agatha Christie books this year, plus The Maltese Falcon, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Friendly Persuasion, and Shane.

Just yesterday she inhaled the first David Eddings Belgariad book, Pawn of Prophecy.  She loved it so much she immediately read it again and is impatiently waiting for the rest of the series to come from the library.

It was also a good year to read and discuss slightly darker lit, like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, The Invisible Man, and Macbeth.

This is the direction we will be going next year with a precocious 11 y.o. Also mystery like Sherlock Holmes and maybe some Poe or short stories.

At age 12, I was a big lover of fantasy and fairytales, and was just beginning to get interested in sci-fi. What does your DD like? :)

That's a great age a great time to explore new cultures and beliefs, and to read biographies of real people who did selfless things and served others to encourage an attitude of looking outside of yourself throughout the teen years as well. (And if Christian, to read inspirational works to encourage your faith.) That's also a great beginning age to explore the ideas raised by fantasy and sci-fi.

And as a girl growing to womanhood, it's a great time to explore works of what it means to be a woman, or focus on works with female protagonists.

And, 12yo is the age of teetering towards growing up, but still a good part of you is a child, so nuture that little girl part of her with warm and wonderful children's classics that you didn't a chance to do before, or re-read some special favorites.

Enjoy this special summer of 12yo reading! Warmest regards, Lori D.

classics

- A Little Princess; The Secret Garden (Burnett)

- Rikki Tikki Tavi; Just So Stories (Kipling)

- Island of the Blue Dolphins (O'Dell)

- Anne of Green Gables; Anne of Avonlea (Montgomery)

- Little Women (Alcott)

- Christie (Marshall)

real life

- The Hundred Dresses (Estes)

- Plain Girl (Sorensen)

- Family Under the Bridge (Carlson)

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord)

- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Robinson)

- The Toothpaste Millionaire (Merrill)

adventure

- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (Aiken)

- Daughter of the Mountains (Rankin)

- My Side of the Mountain (George)

historical fiction

- The Bronze Bow (Speare)

- Adam of the Road (Gray)

- The Big Wave (Buck)

- Indian Captive (Lenski)

- Catherine Called Birdy; Midwife's Apprentice (Cushman) 

- Caddie Woodlawn (Brink)

- Calico Bush (Field)

- Sounder (Armstrong)

- The Great Wheel (Lawson)

- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Taylor)

mystery

- The Westing Game (Raskin)

- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (Konigsburg)

- Chasing Vermeer (Balliett)

fantasy

- Five Children and It; The Phoenix and the Carpet; The Book of Dragons (Nesbit)

- Half Magic; Magic by the Lake, Knight's Castle; Time Garden; Seven Day Magic (Eager)

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Carroll)

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

- Chronicles of Narnia (Lewis)

- Hitty, Her First Hundred Years (Field)

- Howl's Moving Castle; House of Many Ways (Jones)

- Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Wrede)

- The Princess and the Goblins; The Princess and Curdie (MacDonald)

- The Hobbit (Tolkien)

- The Phantom Tollbooth (Juster)

talking animals

- One Hundred and One Dalmatians (Smith)

- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (O'Brien)

sci-fi / speculative fiction

- Below the Root (Snyder)

- Tuck Everlasting (Babbitt)

- The Green Book (Walsh)

- Enchantress from the Stars (Engdahl)

- City of Ember; People of Sparks (Du Prau)

- Wrinkle in Time (L'Engle)

• Like 1