Menu

Essential oils- shoot me now

momto10blessings

I am so with you. I have also been using essential oils since before they were cool. I have one acquaintance who is very pushy about her young living business and I often feel like I want to smack her.

I am very happy that my friends are enjoying all that their essential oils bring them but please stfu unless I ask you a question.

• Like 3

It doesn't sound like it's the EO's you have an issue with, but the MLM. :) I love my oils, but I have done my OWN research. Not just went off what someone who is getting a commission is saying.

I'm with you OP. For one thing, I'm wondering where people have been for the last decade or so. I mean, if you are truly a health nut, you've btdt with EOs. I am AMAZED at the money that can be made with these things though. One FB friend is a YL diamond--$30K/month!! And two others in her downline are not far behind. Sheesh! Clearly I missed the boat.

• Like 2

Same here.  I've been using essential oils in a consistent manner for over a decade.  I've read a great deal and talked with multiple doctors and practitioners who have years and years of experience in this sort of thing.  I feel pretty sure that I know the good and the bad of essential oils apart from the marketing materials.

I have a family member with extremely complex, difficult medical problems.  We've spent tens of thousands of dollars every year over the last decade an both alternative and traditional medicine.  The only thing that has helped is going to a nationally-ranked, multi-speciality clinic with M.D.'s.  We adore the folks in that clinic because they've made a difference.  What they tell us to do, we do.  Period.  

And oh boy, do I get pitched.  The answer to ALL of my family member's problems are essential oils.  ALL of them.  Doctors know NOTHING they tell me.  Doctors HURT people.  Oh, and stop giving your family CHEMICALS too.  Give them essential oils when they're sick (aren't essential oils chemicals?).

I find that attitude highly insulting.  I try to be polite about it, but there have been times that I've had to give it back to them to get them off my back.

A good friend of mine sells DT, and she knows not to pitch me any more.  She's also getting to the point that she's making decent supplementary income from it, and I'm happy for her.  She's a single parent and needs all the help she can get.  But most folks aren't polite about it like she is...

• Like 6

Oh, I hear you.

The newly minted EO hacks can be annoying. Some of the oils in my cupboard are probably almost as old as DD (12). So thanks but no thanks on the "lessons" on how you can make money off of me with your 6 months of newfound knowledge.

But what angers me the most is the demand is now so much greater, so someone, somewhere is getting crappy product, OR the land and people in places where these plants are native are probably being exploited. I don't believe the supply can possibly keep up with the growth rate of sales and demand.

The thought saddens me. :(

• Like 5

Oh, gosh!  I hear you!  I have some friends who are all about YoungLiving and then other friends who are all about DoTerra.  Both camps regularly post on FB articles and claims that the other (YL or DT) is bad for x, y, and z reasons and you absolutely must go with whichever they are selling because they are the only pure, useful, medicinal ones.  Both the YL and DT sellers agree that anything that is not YL or DT is crap and we're probably going to die if we use them.

(Amusingly, I found no relief of allergies using lemon, lavender, and peppermint in the diffuser using the YoungLiving EOs I had.  Then I ran out of peppermint and lemon - which I was using basically because I just like the smell - and got NOW brand.  Guess what?  The lemon, lavender, peppermint combo in the diffuser suddenly works amazingly well.  Clears up my itchy, watery eyes instantly!  Of course I've been told I am WRONG and only the YL EOs work and I need to try those again.  And the DT people also say I am WRONG and there is no way the NOW ones work for me and of course the YL ones didn't work because, well, they are YL and I need to buy DT EOs for actual relief.  Thanks, but I'll stick with NOW even if it'll kill me because my eyes really do clear up when I use them.  Plus I pretty much use EOs because they smell pretty!)

• Like 1

I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one being bombarded.

I swear one of these women hunted me down on facebook and made small talk JUST to invite me to her "class". I'm seriously a friend of a friend of a friend of this woman. We were in the same co-op several years ago but never interacted.

Another one tells me I will only pay wholesale prices.

Down with DoTerra. Down with YoungLife.

• Like 1

I'm with you OP. For one thing, I'm wondering where people have been for the last decade or so. I mean, if you are truly a health nut, you've btdt with EOs. I am AMAZED at the money that can be made with these things though. One FB friend is a YL diamond--$30K/month!! And two others in her downline are not far behind. Sheesh! Clearly I missed the boat.

I'm in the wrong profession!
  • Like 3

One of the graphics I see all the time from the oil disciples is a medicine cabinet with neat rows of oils versus a medicine cabinet all messy with conventional medicine.  The message being that the conventional medicine one is inferior.

If you saw mine now, I have both.  Last night after mowing I took some Tylenol because I was sore (especially my arthritic knee), and I put a few drops of my favorite "stuffy nose" blend on my pillow.  Both worked for me.

BTW, several years ago I tried what some DT folks call a "morphine bomb" for my knee.  This cracked me up because I figured that there is no way that something herbal is going to match the "real deal." Herbs work very, very differently and are far more subtle.  But I tried it for a week even though I'm uneasy with taking that sort of thing internally.  Didn't work at all for me.  The name alone should have told me.

I also got a "recipe" for ganglion cyst that we tried last summer.  How are a few drops of essential oils going to dissolve a cyst that is deep in the joint according to the MRI?  I have such a hard time figuring that out from a biological/chemical standpoint.  We tried it, but ended up with surgery in December.  The surgeon said it was one of the worst he had ever seen.  The oil people said we didn't give it enough time. Sigh.

• Like 3

Agreed, I have used EOs for years and years before it became a "thing." I really don't want people trying to sell me overpriced EOs with all sorts of wild health claims. I find it extremely inappropriate to tell people that eating EOs (which should not be done) will cure serious illnesses.

Oh not really?

We've used eos for about twelve years, I used then when I was formulating bath and body. Now that things have gotten. Crazy marketing eos I kind of wish I'd stated in the biz. ;). It could be very lucrative with them going mainstream.

My biggest fear is people being casual with them around their kids because they're "natural." Get your hands on wintergreen or bitter almond and you can quite truly kill someone.

DS got into my eo bottles when he was itty bitty and it was an ambulance ride. Everything turned out fine but they only exist in our home in a padlocked box and we thinned out collection.

• Like 4

I'm so amazed at this. We've had essential oils, particularly eucalyptus, tea tree, mint, and one other thing, something my mom has but I don't, oh yes LAVENDER, which I hate, for decades. Since I was small.

Apparently now it's a Thing.

All I can say is, Eos and the fact that I've used them as natural bug repellants and "soothing scents" are why now I can't enjoy lavender or mint. Too medicinal for me. I associate them with illness.

Soon, the entire country can share this problem with me.

• Like 3

It is all so crazy.  Yes, take medical advice from someone on FB who bought a "how to sell EO" kit a month ago.  Ignore the doctor who spend 8 or so years studying the human body.  Good luck with that.

• Like 13

If one more person tries to sell me some combination of oils for my ADD, I will explode!!!! I use lavender just because I like the smell and yes it does calm my mind some but not enough to spend twice as much for xxx brand oil over the flowers/oil that I get at the local Mennonite store, where I have seen where the flowers are grown and the the process of drying and oil making.

• Like 5

I am also someone who has used EOs for a couple of decades for cleaning and comfort care but is getting irked at the EO pandemonium. The posts on FB were people are offering them up as a cure for that are especially hard to see. I've seen three where someone was using them topically on a mucous membrane of a child or pet and is then baffled by the massive adverse reaction. Shudder. I quietly left most of the topical rather than local community groups on FB because of crap like that. Also, no your 3 month training course in EOs does not make you a "doctor" or healthcare professional, naturopathic or otherwise. And finally, if one more person decides to tell me they can cure my son's autism with EOs? Well, keep talking and see what happens. I'll be over here finding my brass knuckles...

• Like 6

EO's have never, ever worked for me in the way they are sold or described as. Not for relaxing, sleeping, feeling better with a cold, easing menstrual cramps, and a number of other things. So now, I get to hear how I tried the wrong brand or blend or how I have to "believe in it for it to work". I no longer talk to people IRL about oils.

• Like 1

EO's have never, ever worked for me in the way they are sold or described as. Not for relaxing, sleeping, feeling better with a cold, easing menstrual cramps, and a number of other things. So now, I get to hear how I tried the wrong brand or blend or how I have to "believe in it for it to work". I no longer talk to people IRL about oils.

Holy crow!  This reminds me of an IG post I saw about rubbing some EO on your stomach to cure cramps.  Really people, let's think about this.  It goes through your skin, your fat layer, your muscles and finally gets to your uterus where is stops the muscle from contracting??  Pretty powerful stuff!!

• Like 6

The oil stuff is going on all around me, but fortunately I've never had any one bug me about it.

I suppose someone got to my 14-year-old daughter though because she told me the other day. "Mom, I'd love to get you a gift. Would you like some essential oils?" LOL! No thank you, darling. <3

One of my FB friends is offering a meditation seminar this evening. I was interested in going, but I looked more closely and it was all about how to improve your meditation with essential oils.

Nope, nope, nope.  I'm not interested in a pitch. If it were just meditation, I'd be in.

Seriously.

I don't care what you are selling, I don't want to buy your crap.

I don't have money to buy your crap.

Stop trying to find creative ways to ask me to buy your crap.

:zombiechase:  (zombie emoticon says, "Buy my makeup, bags, nail stuff, oils.. buy it. buy it. buy it...")

• Like 5

Holy crow! This reminds me of an IG post I saw about rubbing some EO on your stomach to cure cramps. Really people, let's think about this. It goes through your skin, your fat layer, your muscles and finally gets to your uterus where is stops the muscle from contracting?? Pretty powerful stuff!!

Passes through skin, fat, and muscle to heal cramps yet is also completely harmless/non-toxic otherwise. Lol

I also find it amusing how some sellers seem to believe natural automatically means non-toxic.

• Like 5

IF you have a kindle you need to get this book http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Space-Direct-Sales-Tale-ebook/dp/B00R3M50D0/ref=zg_bs_158280011_f_3  It is a free one right now.  I just started it but it is funny/sad book on the multi level marketing and how this girl was roped into it.  It is mostly a spoof on the stuff so far and a fun read but makes you realize how easy it is to get duped.

I was just thinking earlier today that I wish I could just go buy a few Tastefully Simple spices as I really do like certain ones and find them very useful and a good value.........but I don't want a party, sales pitch, etc.......just a jar of the seasoning salt :-)  I can call someone though just to get this.

We do use some supplements based on the approval/suggestion of our medical doctors but they are not a cure all for my kids.  Helpful, yes, but not lifesaving like some of their others meds are.

• Like 2

I think if someone told me they could cure autism with EOs I might just punch them. Or reply, "But they obviously don't cure gullibility!"

One YL blogger was insistent essential oils could cure Ebola and was wanting people to fund a trip of EO woomeisters to the affected areas with EO kits (YL brand of course) to eradicate Ebola.

One small part of me actually wanted this to get off the ground to slap some sense into these idiots, but then I realized a competing company would just blame the brand.

• Like 6

Oh not really?

We've used eos for about twelve years, I used then when I was formulating bath and body. Now that things have gotten. Crazy marketing eos I kind of wish I'd stated in the biz. ;). It could be very lucrative with them going mainstream.

My biggest fear is people being casual with them around their kids because they're "natural." Get your hands on wintergreen or bitter almond and you can quite truly kill someone.

DS got into my eo bottles when he was itty bitty and it was an ambulance ride. Everything turned out fine but they only exist in our home in a padlocked box and we thinned out collection.

That is one of my concerns as well. Some EOs are toxic, people are attending a class and then touting themselves as some sort of expert without any actual research. If they don't stick to the  food grade oils that those companies sell then that could have dangerous ramifications.

There is no actual study on the ingestion of essential oils. No telling what it might do to someone long term. Essential oils were not used that way in traditional medicine. 

• Like 1

One YL blogger was insistent essential oils could cure Ebola and was wanting people to fund a trip of EO woomeisters to the affected areas with EO kits (YL brand of course) to eradicate Ebola.

One small part of me actually wanted this to get off the ground to slap some sense into these idiots, but then I realized a competing company would just blame the brand.

The FDA wrote some angry letters in regard to that precise issue.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/09/24/fda-warns-three-companies-against-marketing-their-products-as-ebola-treatments-or-cures/

Just popping in to say many EO's are really toxic to pets.

I actually think many are really toxic to humans. The whole "natural is better" thing really makes me :cursing: 

"Here, have some arsenic I ground up with this foxglove. I put it in a smoothie with rhubarb leaves so you know it's natural & green!" <----- sarcasm! Dangerous ingredients, do not do this....

• Like 19

Just popping in to say many EO's are really toxic to pets.

I actually think many are really toxic to humans. The whole "natural is better" thing really makes me :cursing:

"Here, have some arsenic I ground up with this foxglove. I put it in a smoothie with rhubarb leaves so you know it's natural & green!" <----- sarcasm! Dangerous ingredients, do not do this....

That's true. Tea tree oil can kill a cat and many can make them very sick.

Oh, my goodness!  I have a friend (a real life friend) who is all about YoungLiving and she kept posting articles (none scientific, all opinion of course) on how YL oils and ONLY YL oils cure Ebola so she wasn't worried at all.  I just rolled my eyes.  Repeatedly.

• Like 2

Yes, I saw that when it came out.

There are aspects of the FDA that sometimes make me angry, but they do sometimes hit it spot on.

I've told this story before here, but my friend who is a very high-level lactation consultant is going crazy with the EO movement.  She's nearly 70, and has been in that field since her 20's.  She's been a nursing professor, expert witness in court, and regularly gave papers at international lactation conferences.  She's now part-time, winding down her career.  She also knows a lot about alternative medicine, particularly in the area of women's health.  She regularly recommends remedies from a Chinese herbalist and a compounding pharmacy in her area.  

And she dreads when she has to deal with one of the newly-minted EO folks because they often insist that she doesn't know what she's doing and sometimes they want to use EO's in ways that make her very nervous.  She's gotten to the point that she has her patients sign a release if they want to use their own remedies in the hospital because she can't take the personal risk when they override her concerns.  She's predicting a huge backlash in the EO field down the road.  Not because she's against them because she uses some herself and believes that certain uses are fine in an OB/GYN setting, but because some uses are wrong from her standpoint, especially when recommended by people who don't really know the whole picture when it comes to a newborn.

• Like 3

Oh, and can I just say?

If you don't have a lab with oversight, scientists, etc. You are not doing research. You're "reading up".

Maybe you are doing literary research, but you better have at least three primary sources if you're calling it research because ya know what?

That word has a meaning and this casual use is getting out of hand. I pretty much Los it with vaccine "research" (oh really what software did you use for the meta-analysis, was that a logistic regression?) but this oil "research" is really something else. How many of them have done a skin test on their own kids?

• Like 5

Oh, gosh!  I hear you!  I have some friends who are all about YoungLiving and then other friends who are all about DoTerra.  Both camps regularly post on FB articles and claims that the other (YL or DT) is bad for x, y, and z reasons and you absolutely must go with whichever they are selling because they are the only pure, useful, medicinal ones.  Both the YL and DT sellers agree that anything that is not YL or DT is crap and we're probably going to die if we use them.

(Amusingly, I found no relief of allergies using lemon, lavender, and peppermint in the diffuser using the YoungLiving EOs I had.  Then I ran out of peppermint and lemon - which I was using basically because I just like the smell - and got NOW brand.  Guess what?  The lemon, lavender, peppermint combo in the diffuser suddenly works amazingly well.  Clears up my itchy, watery eyes instantly!  Of course I've been told I am WRONG and only the YL EOs work and I need to try those again.  And the DT people also say I am WRONG and there is no way the NOW ones work for me and of course the YL ones didn't work because, well, they are YL and I need to buy DT EOs for actual relief.  Thanks, but I'll stick with NOW even if it'll kill me because my eyes really do clear up when I use them.  Plus I pretty much use EOs because they smell pretty!)

What cracks me up is that YL and DT are basically the same company. Members of YLs corporate staff left and started DT. That is the biggest reason behind the hostility towards the each other. The blends are almost identical, the names are often similar, etc. 

As for my own oils, I'd much rather buy from the company that has the backing of the leading EO researcher and not a MLM that promotes dangerous ingestion practices. 

• Like 2

I'm so sick of it.  I've hidden Facebook friends over it.  

I was at a gathering at a friend's house one night.  Another friend's 2 yo got into some DoTerra sage oil and put it in her mouth, which resulted in much screaming and burning until they managed to wash it out/off.  I was stunned that it was left low enough for kids to get into (my friend has very young children of her own).  

Another friend was implying that the hospital was overreacting for keeping her 3 month-old niece, who had a respiratory illness, until her 02 saturation came up.  She'd given the mother oils to put on the baby's chest, but the mom just took her gravely ill baby to the hospital instead.   :cursing: 

Don't even get me started on the homeschooling group I belong to on FB.  ADD, ADHD, autism spectrum disorders, behavioral issues, psychiatric issues?  There's an oil for that! 

Oh, and can I just say?

If you don't have a lab with oversight, scientists, etc. You are not doing research. You're "reading up".

Maybe you are doing literary research, but you better have at least three primary sources if you're calling it research because ya know what?

That word has a meaning and this casual use is getting out of hand. I pretty much Los it with vaccine "research" (oh really what software did you use for the meta-analysis, was that a logistic regression?) but this oil "research" is really something else. How many of them have done a skin test on their own kids?

And it is becoming increasingly difficult to find actual facts online with all the false information being scattered throughout the internet by DT and YL disciples. 

• Like 5

I'm so sick of it.  I've hidden Facebook friends over it.  

I was at a gathering at a friend's house one night.  Another friend's 2 yo got into some DoTerra sage oil and put it in her mouth, which resulted in much screaming and burning until they managed to wash it out/off.  I was stunned that it was left low enough for kids to get into (my friend has very young children of her own).  

Another friend was implying that the hospital was overreacting for keeping her 3 month-old niece, who had a respiratory illness, until her 02 saturation came up.  She'd given the mother oils to put on the baby's chest, but the mom just took her gravely ill baby to the hospital instead.   :cursing: 

Don't even get me started on the homeschooling group I belong to on FB.  ADD, ADHD, autism spectrum disorders, behavioral issues, psychiatric issues?  There's an oil for that! 

My nephew has cystic fibrosis and my sister got messages on FB regarding essential oils for it. That's sick. These people are acting like a cult.

• Like 3

My thing is that I have a LTFA to cinnamon. So when someone comes in wearing, or worse, I go somewhere where they're diffusing a blend that contains cinnamon oil, it's bad. Like "get the Benedryl and keep the epipen handy" bad if I breathe too much of it. And a lot of the blends seem to contain cinnamon. My DD used to say that I was allergic to October, November and December (I'm also pretty seriously allergic to conifer trees) but it's gotten much worse since EO's became the craze.

• Like 2

My thing is that I have a LTFA to cinnamon. So when someone comes in wearing, or worse, I go somewhere where they're diffusing a blend that contains cinnamon oil, it's bad. Like "get the Benedryl and keep the epipen handy" bad if I breathe too much of it. And a lot of the blends seem to contain cinnamon. My DD used to say that I was allergic to October, November and December (I'm also pretty seriously allergic to conifer trees) but it's gotten much worse since EO's became the craze.

I have a bunch of allergies, I am allergic to a few of them, too. It does run the EO people off, though, when I tell them I have epi-pen worthy reactions to some of them and please keep their oils away from me. I also like to throw out the acronym VOCs, gets them every time. Some of them give me a massive headache.

I use EOs. Just not MLM oils. I don't think they are the best thing on earth but they can have their purpose. I do get truly annoyed by the hype of brands and parties.

I just used two different blends yesterday in combination with OTC meds for my cold. Worked lovely. However Vicks vapor rub and a cough drop would have worked just as well. :)

I have been using EO's for cleaning, homemade laundry detergent as well as for aromatherapy for 15+ years. It just has always been a part of my routine. Then this craze hit and I have had to defend the fact that no, I don't want you to put that stuff on my or my kids skin directly as we have sensitive skin and my kids have environmental allergies so if you have a lot of the oils in the air continually, we may choose not to come to your house. My kids have had allergic reactions at houses of people who mixed the EO's together without really understanding what they were doing.

The whole fad is making me a little crazy. I know the value, I have used them for years but they are not the cure all, and in some cases may make things worse. (Before you put it into the air where my kids breathe, please know what's in the Thieves Oil and whether or not it might send my kid into an asthma attack because of his allergies.)

• Like 5