Menu

The Imitation Game

Soror

I just watched this last night, it was brilliant. I searched but only found 1 short review thread, surely more have seen it by now. I loved the hidden history that it showed (it is amazing that it was a secret for 50 years- I wonder if any of those involved were alive when this came to life) but also the not so subtle message about all people having value and I thought the ending was a bit of an indictment against the way homosexuals have been treated/are still being treated by some. The acting was outstanding, of course Benedict Cumberbatch is always brilliant but even Kiera Knightly was fabulous, much to my surprise, all of the roles were well done. I'm glad I was watching it at home because I couldn't help clapping and talking to the tv at various points. The ending was a triumph and a heartbreak, all at the same time. I just loved it, best movie I've seen in ages.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2084970/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I noticed several reviewers, while praising the actor's performances, were not so kind to all the historical inaccuracies of the film.  My hubby ranted about that, too. Had to remind him, it was a movie, not a documentary.

Yes.  I think the film is important despite its being a fictionalised account.

• Like 1

It was well done, but the historical inaccuracies do affect my overall impression. I'm especially baffled why the script would essentially accuse Turing of being a traitor by not immediately reporting a Soviet agent who blackmails him. None of that actually happened, and no one thought Turing was a spy. Yes, it's a movie, but I don't think that absolves anyone of making up wildly inaccurate stories to add excitement.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/nov/20/the-imitation-game-invents-new-slander-to-insult-alan-turing-reel-history

• Like 1