Menu

Nothing New/Mindful Spending Week 16

Ginevra

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

Sorry a little late putting this up. This week was not eventful for spending/non-spending. I have been thinking a lot about letting my Costco membership lapse. I theorize that it is driving my spending up, even though I always mean to shop smart there. Some things I buy there are a major bargain, but I am not confident that my overall spending is much assisted by going there.

dS15 needs some summer clothes; I may be able to get some used, but I also don't want him to feel he always gets used stuff while DD mainly gets new stuff, just because he isn't a complainer and is frugally minded.

Oh! I did mean to say DD's prom dress, which we ordered on ebay, came amd it is THE ONE! The one she loved last year but didn't buy because it was $$$. I do need to have hemming; i can sew, but I am not keen to attempt it for this dress, due to the tulle layers at the bottom.

• Like 4

I am glad the prom dress is working out, Quill. :)

This past week was not one of my best, but not too awful either. I spent some money on new makeup. I had ran completely out of my favorite foundation, so I bought a new one. It is not cheap, 33.00. Ouch. Yes, it is on the pricier side, but I really like it and it last me for months.  So I don't feel so bad about the purchase since I did use up what I had. I also bought a small eyeliner. 

I went to the Goodwill and found two cute skirts. They were a smaller size than I expected would fit, but they did. :hurray:  I have lost a little weight, so that was a nice reward. 

Also, I found a couple of cute jewelry items on clearance at Kmart. Oh, and I bought two hats.  :o  Normally I am not a hat person, but they look cute on me. So, what can I say?

I think I have spring fever and am trying to freshen up my look. I also organized my closet some so I can see what pieces I have and what outfits I can put together.

So. all in all not my best week. However, I feel I have done quite well on this since the first of they year, so overall I think I am doing okay.

• Like 4

Quill, so cool that your dd still loved the dress even after waiting a year! Hope she has a great prom. 

This week was ok.  I bought some space bags so I can store winter clothes so our closet doesn't look jam packed.  It's frosty cold half the year and it feels so good to be able to pack away the winter stuff!  

Yesterday dh and I had a much needed day out. We had breakfast and lunch out and spent the day visiting antique stores. We bought a beautiful four piece bedroom set from the 1920's that was made about an hour from here. Our kids are adults and we're starting to redo the bedrooms with furniture to reflect our style instead of super durable kid stuff.   Our food out was $20 total and the bedroom set was right at $300 with tax.  And time spent with dh was priceless, so it evens out.g 

In full disclosure, we also stopped at  a quilt store that we spotted near one of the antique stores. I only bought two fat quarters, one of which dh asked me to buy (military themed fabric). So $6 spent there. 

• Like 4

I bought four more shirts on sale for myself from old navy--replaced my worn out t-shirts. Thrift stores here are bad, so quality used clothing is difficult to find.

I bought a small table for my front porch chairs and a Boston fern. Normally I spend $$$ on landscaping plants each year so I was happy that an $18 table and a $17 plant was enough green on our front porch to look great for house showings.

We are still mattress shopping. Dh and I need to replace our set, but no luck so far....

• Like 4

After the conversation about skirts in other threads, I started looking at skorts online.  Yesterday I was near Eddie Bauer and decided to try one on--it came home with me. 

I also purchased a pair of Keen closed toe water shoes.  My husband loves his for kayaking/canoeing and had encouraged me to get a pair.  With our warm weather lifestyle being water based, I think that I'll get my money's worth. 

We also picked up some mints and thymes for an area of our yard where we hope they will spread and take over.

• Like 3

Can't remember buying anything this week.  I did renew our membership to the rec center.  Good thing I was late doing it, because I got the discount I always miss.  ;)  $320/year is a pretty good deal if one actually uses the facilities, and we do.  I am beginning to use it more than ever.  A friend turned me on to their walking track.  ;)  Once I get back my core strength I will probably start using the other stuff in their fitness center.

Aside from actual use of the facilities, I like that my kids are spending time around others who prioritize fitness.  So all in all, it is a good mindful purchase.  :)

I think it's also time to renew the membership to the natural history museum.  We don't use this as much any more, but I still think it's worth the $150/year.  (I buy the "friend" membership because it includes parking for all the fun stuff nearby.  The art museum, which is free, is right next door.  And they have weekly music festivals in the summer time.  The museum membership also includes nature hikes etc. in the nearby national parks.  Really good stuff IMO.)

I will probably buy some books and stuff this week.

• Like 3

I wanted to add that I helped someone else not spend.  I love Chaco sandals but the initial pair that I bought about three or four years ago and wore regularly for two summers started bothering me.  I have a weird skin condition that was aggravated by the toe piece on the sandal.  So I replaced those Chacos with a pair that does not have the toe piece, but continued using the older pair at the beach or in while paddling a kayak, etc.  Since I bought the closed toe Keen water shoes yesterday, I realized that I don't need my older Chacos which as far as I was concerned have a lot of life in them.  A friend who happens to have the same shoe size was pleased when I asked her if she wanted them.  Chacos are beyond her budget so the bit of wear doesn't bother her.  And I know that the skin around my big toe will be much happier for not wearing these shoes!

For me, passing on what I don't use is a good part of this challenge.  I also have two bags of out going stuff in my car, destined for a charity thrift shop.

• Like 5

For me, passing on what I don't use is a good part of this challenge.  I also have two bags of out going stuff in my car, destined for a charity thrift shop.

Funny you should mention that. I've noticed that my donation pile is filling up faster than usual this year, and I think it's partly due to this mindful spending challenge.  I'm not only being mindful of what I bring into the house, but also what I KEEP in the house. Dh and I cleaned out the front closet today and the pile of stuff we're donating from that closet is huge. Nothing wrong with the stuff, we just don't need it.  

Even though I didn't push him to take on the mindful spending challenge, he has started to cut back on his own after seeing my efforts.   Guys, this is huge. He has never been one to scrimp on things and he's being so much more thoughtful about his purchases. 

• Like 5

Angi, professional development is important!

Let's see:

--lots of cypress boards for Dh to complete the raised bed veggie garden project ($400)

--a load of mushroom soil-topsoil mix to fill some of the raised beds ($100)

--a birthday party gift ($20)

--two denim cropped pants and 2 workout tanks for me ($60) from Kohls

--dinner out last night ($50)

Looking ahead for this week:

--another 2 cubic yards of soil mix, delivered ($100) (Dh built the beds I thought would be done this fall so more digging and wheelbarrowing for me!)

--about $15 or so for the last seeds plus the organic stuff to feed my blueberry bushes for the spring

--a small donation ;) to the library, about $.20 if I get there tomorrow :lol:

I can go a month without buying anything other than basics (food, gas, toiletries). And then, this happens!

• Like 3

Expensive week here. I bought shoes for myself. DD needs bottoms that fit.  That is going to be hard as she is in between sizes. I think I will have to make some for her as nothing in the stores are fitting right.  DS needs some shorts that are long as his waist size is small for his length.  I may have to make those too.  A few other house expenses are expected but once done they are done for years.  We need a few books but they can wait.  

• Like 1

* skirt for church $10

* candle $8

* 2 shirts $24

* purse $175 (it's a sickness)

I still haven't had a complete no spend week since we started. I always seem to forget that I'm on a no buy.

It is! Do you know how many books you could get instead of the purse?

;) We all have our weaknesses. I haven't bought sandas, because of this challenge, but I have been thinking about a red pair over at 6pm ever since that thread on shoe styles. And now my ad crawler is happy to keep reminding me these shoes exist.

• Like 3

I'm having a bit of a purge here. Lots of the stuff was things I thought I would sell. Thing is, no one has turned up here looking to buy stuff (where are those pickers when you want 'em?) and I haven't done anything about selling stuff, so its just been gathering dust. Its a manifestation of our poverty mentality - there was some sort of false security in that useless stuff. Now I am a YNABber, the poverty mentally is going, and I can left go of stuff more easily. Its a good feeling.

Big spending week here: clothes for DS14 - he's now officially man-sized, and this terms guitar and drama lessons. I had all the money allocated, ready and waiting. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself! So I had a little splurge on the WTM conference. D*#% that exchange rate!!!!

• Like 2

Here is a question for you that stems from a conversation I had with an extended family member.  Would you rather buy one thing that you really, really like at full price or several things that "will do" at a discount but require more shopping (think TJ Maxx and outlet store racks)?  The assumption here is that you can afford full price.

The reality of modern shopping though is that you probably won't need to pay full price for your one item.  You'll probably find it at 25% off with some minimal monitoring of store ads.

Further, I am suggesting that the TJ Maxx or outlet items may not be exactly what you intended (i.e. a certain color or brand that you might like). Obviously you may be the right size or great outlets near you that have large selections of colors and brands.  This does not always seem to be true though.

Of course, the ideal for this thread is to walk into your local thrift shop and find precisely what you want for $5--and it fits perfectly!  Let's say that is not happening though. 

So what is:  one perfect or several not so perfect?

• Like 1

Here is a question for you that stems from a conversation I had with an extended family member.  Would you rather buy one thing that you really, really like at full price or several things that "will do" at a discount but require more shopping (think TJ Maxx and outlet store racks)?  The assumption here is that you can afford full price.

The reality of modern shopping though is that you probably won't need to pay full price for your one item.  You'll probably find it at 25% off with some minimal monitoring of store ads.

Further, I am suggesting that the TJ Maxx or outlet items may not be exactly what you intended (i.e. a certain color or brand that you might like). Obviously you may be the right size or great outlets near you that have large selections of colors and brands.  This does not always seem to be true though.

Of course, the ideal for this thread is to walk into your local thrift shop and find precisely what you want for $5--and it fits perfectly!  Let's say that is not happening though. 

So what is:  one perfect or several not so perfect?

I would rather have one perfect item. We're trying to pare down our possessions and that has led us to being more mindful of what we bring in. It's not really about the money so much as it is managing our belongings. 

My inspiration for this is that after living in a house for 30+ years, my parents moved. The new house was larger but they pared down their stuff and every time I walk in there, I love seeing that every single item there means something to them and that the house has no clutter.  I long for my own house to be that way. 

My inlaws have saved everything forever and it's about to drive dh crazy. They have every VCR they have ever owned, (all are broken) in the original boxes in the garage. They have their original crockpot and three more that have never been used, but were gifts from someone.  

• Like 1

Annie--Sounds like your inlaws are creating a museum!  Or at least that is the joke in this house regarding saving things.

Maybe I am asking the wrong question but I found that conversation with my family member to be so odd.  She told me that she loves Talbots pants which fit her petite body well.  But she will only buy Talbots clothing at their outlet--which is quite a distance from where she lives, i.e. a day trip.  She has no idea obviously what will be at the outlet after her drive which led me to think that buying a pair of pants at the regular Talbots store might be the better thing to do.  When I suggested this idea her response was that she was able to buy three pairs of Capris at some other outlets for the same cost as a single pair of pants at Talbots.

Part of the situation here is quantity, I guess.  But I honestly think that this family member cannot enjoy anything that is not a "deal".  I am having such a hard time understanding this for her current financial situation. 

And agreeing with SKL since I too hate shopping.

• Like 2

Here is a question for you that stems from a conversation I had with an extended family member. Would you rather buy one thing that you really, really like at full price or several things that "will do" at a discount but require more shopping (think TJ Maxx and outlet store racks)? The assumption here is that you can afford full price.

The reality of modern shopping though is that you probably won't need to pay full price for your one item. You'll probably find it at 25% off with some minimal monitoring of store ads.

Further, I am suggesting that the TJ Maxx or outlet items may not be exactly what you intended (i.e. a certain color or brand that you might like). Obviously you may be the right size or great outlets near you that have large selections of colors and brands. This does not always seem to be true though.

Of course, the ideal for this thread is to walk into your local thrift shop and find precisely what you want for $5--and it fits perfectly! Let's say that is not happening though.

So what is: one perfect or several not so perfect?

One perfect thing in most cases. Of course, there could be exceptions, if the thing doesn't have a high standard of perfection. For example, I bought a few pairs of shorts for ds at Goodwill today. (He was not with me.) Chances are, I will still buy him probably two new pairs of shorts, while he is with me; two that he really likes. But the shorts I bought today are adequate for every-day wear; they will most likely fit well enough and two are tan and beige. At $3.87/ea., I figure how many variations on tan cargo shorts can there be, and why would I spend $25+ a piece for them? So, if the inexpensive thing is adequate, I won't go looking for something new that might be a bit more marvelous in some way.

• Like 1

One perfect thing in most cases. Of course, there could be exceptions, if the thing doesn't have a high standard of perfection. For example, I bought a few pairs of shorts for ds at Goodwill today. (He was not with me.) Chances are, I will still buy him probably two new pairs of shorts, while he is with me; two that he really likes. But the shorts I bought today are adequate for every-day wear; they will most likely fit well enough and two are tan and beige. At $3.87/ea., I figure how many variations on tan cargo shorts can there be, and why would I spend $25+ a piece for them? So, if the inexpensive thing is adequate, I won't go looking for something new that might be a bit more marvelous in some way.

Growing boys just need something that is an approximate fit though. I made the mistake of giving away some of my son's shorts with a too small waist only to discover after a growth spurt that the shorts he had were falling off. Of course, his jeans became high waters. Those went to the charity shop!

• Like 1

Annie--Sounds like your inlaws are creating a museum! Or at least that is the joke in this house regarding saving things.

Maybe I am asking the wrong question but I found that conversation with my family member to be so odd. She told me that she loves Talbots pants which fit her petite body well. But she will only buy Talbots clothing at their outlet--which is quite a distance from where she lives, i.e. a day trip. She has no idea obviously what will be at the outlet after her drive which led me to think that buying a pair of pants at the regular Talbots store might be the better thing to do. When I suggested this idea her response was that she was able to buy three pairs of Capris at some other outlets for the same cost as a single pair of pants at Talbots.

Part of the situation here is quantity, I guess. But I honestly think that this family member cannot enjoy anything that is not a "deal". I am having such a hard time understanding this for her current financial situation.

And agreeing with SKL since I too hate shopping.

This is perhaps a different question.

If buying something for myself, I will sometimes pay full price for exactly what I want. With clothes, I know i will not wear something if something about it bothers me, so in reality, it would be the same as not having the item at all. So, let's say I bought three pairs of jeans at a yard sale, but also ordered one pair of Jag Pull-on jeans (I swear, they are the best jeans ever created) from Amazon. Suppose that, of the three I bought used, one seems just a half-inch shorter than I like, one has "bling" on the pockets (don't like that), and one fits fine and is the color I want. The reality is, though I have four jeans, I will only wear the new ones I bought and the one used one that is just right.

The nice thing about buying used (or very discounted) is that the risk is small if it doesn't turn out to be my most favorite thing ever. The shorts I bought for ds ran the small risk that he might not like them and won't wear them if he has a better choice. But, at less than $4/ea., the risk is small; chances are good that he will like at least half of them well enough to wear them all summer. The most I risked was $16, in the event that none of them were acceptable, yet that could happen even when buying something new. I have bought new things once in a while that I didn't turn out to like or wear much, which is a much bigger loss.

• Like 2

I am in the one perfect camp but I have very few things that I care about if they are perfect or not. I don't usually go to TJ Maxx and stuff. The vast majority of my clothes are thrifted or recycled and aside from scanning the clearance racks, when I buy new I buy what I want/love.

• Like 2

The Buy Nothing Group on Facebook for my area has been great. Among other things, I scored a huge unopened jug of olive oil from Costco. And I got rid of a number of things. Yay.

Oooh! Awesome group!