Menu

Can anyone comment on WHA classes for accelerated kids?

I don't think it really matters to them as long as the child is academically ready and able to perform at higher levels.  For example, my son took high school geometry this year during 8th grade.  They never once seemed to be concerned.  I think they just wanted to know that he had successfully completed the algebra prerequisite which he had through AoPS.

I basically just talked to the teacher beforehand about the class in general.  I always have 'many' questions for any new class.  During those discussions I mentioned his academic level including his grade.  She never once questioned his age even though it is for the next level up - School of Rhetoric.  So I recommend simply speaking with the instructor and ask all your questions.  Then mention your son's age including his current academic level.  Notice they use the term 'Recommended' course of study, which I think is all it really is - a general recommendation.  There was no placement test.  I think they give the parent the benefit of the doubt knowing what is academically age appropriate for their own child.  At least that was my experience this year.  And of course now that he has almost completed Geometry successfully there is no question about advancing to the next level.  

When in doubt, ask.  Establishing a good rapport early with the instructor will prove beneficial throughout the entire course.  I've found the instructors to be very approachable and helpful.

• Like 1