Menu

calling dr hive - hives

gardenmom5

dd has hives.  she has done loratadine (I think that's what she said), benadryl, and currently on prednisone (worked a couple days at the beginning, not now).  nothing is helping and this has been going on for almost two weeks.  nothing on her face, and no breathing concerns.  her dr suggested possible stress as the cause. (40 hour rotation, ?hr pt-time-job, getting married, final dissertation? -don't know if that's what it's called - due this month, plus - the rest of her "2dd things")

she got really irked at me when I asked if she'd recently started a hormonal bc. (hello, getting married?) apparently, four months ago - when they got engaged.  so, not likely, but still possible.  (I've had some pretty weird and rare reactions to drugs.)

because ds (they live in the same house) has also been having issues with his eyes - only at night and they're fine when he rinses them in the am, - I also asked about change in laundry detergent. - again, a few months ago.

I told her to talk  to an allergist - but that would still be next week. (getting married next week too.).  her doc wanted to send her to the ER - so she talked** to her future-bil (in another state) 'cause she could do it immediately (and not pay lots to do so).   he didn't have any suggestions outside of what has already been tried.

** she was at my house when her dfh asked if she wanted to talk to an ER doc (I'm not talking to 'fbil').  then her own doc told her to go to the ER.  (okay - I'll talk to 'fbil'.)  and this am after getting very irritated at me for suggesting an allergist - she finally agreed that maybe it had merit.

another thing I'm wondering about is the ductwork in that house was recently (about the same time the hives started) cleaned and maybe something (mold?) got "disturbed" in the ductwork?  (they did a fabulous job on our ductwork).

any ideas?

UPDATE: - the hives are all over her arms, legs, and some on her trunk.  none on her face. she did take a day off to rest on dr's orders.

A DD of a friend has walking pneumonia and hives were her only symptom really. She thought it was allergies/season changing cold type thing. The ped said he's seen more cases than usual, so maybe there's some strand going around with this right now?

I had hives for years a long time ago. An allergist said sometimes you never know the cause. I took steroids, but couldn't take them forever, so moved to H1 blocker (Claritin is this) + H2 blocker (Tagamet, etc.). I also had success taking quercetin when they weren't bad. I never went to ER, they never got bad enough to, even though at the beginning I had welts that covered one side of half of my arm (ouch). I would take the steroids (as much to equal a shot) and a few hours later, all gone. I did have thyroid problems diagnosed later, and that doctor thought maybe that was it. I began chocking away at possible causes by taking all chemical additives, soybean anything, that sort of thing out of my diet, so very clean, no additives, real foods only type of thing. It took years... but they have been gone ever since, unless I eat a known problem (yellow #5 is one for me and its in everything). Lanolin is another, and unless you take vegan vitamin D, it has lanolin. That was the last piece of the puzzle for me. I would ask for an epipen script for safety/sanity sake if it makes her feel more comfortable, especially if the hives are stress caused.

• Like 1

has she changed any skin care routine? I get hives from chemical sunscreens but it took us ages to figure this out because I don't get them on the area I applied the lotion. So I'd apply it to my face & neck, and get hives all over my arms. I'd apply it to my legs and get hives on my neck and throat. For a long time I thought it was food & was doing elimination etc. Once I dropped all chemical suncreens in favour of titanium & zinc only, it all went away.  So given that it's spring, has she started using sunscreen or changed brands/types?

I'm assuming a dd who is getting married in a week is not still going to a pediatrician.  My dd had hives as her only symptom of pneumonia though.  And my ds gets hives when allergies are particularly bad.  This year has been drier and everything is blooming earlier so it could just be really bad allergies.  The allergist was not alarmed by his hives as long as breathing was fine.  

Hives really can be stress related. My dad developed chronic hives when getting ready for my wedding. Zyrtec (daily) took care of them, though he was on it for over a year before they finally stopped coming back.

They can also be viral, or allergic of course. Most of the time a cause is never found actually.

My son had chronic hives as well. I assume allergic in his case, because a reaction to oranges set them off initially. But I'm not sure because they just didn't stop!  Zyrtec also helped (helps) him.

Does or did the benadryl temporarily help? Benadryl starts to wear off too quickly to suppress hives. Zyrtec, generally, is a better choice for hives than other anti-histamines according to the allergist we saw. It's worth a try. The dosing for hives may be higher for adults. I think I remember that with my dad perhaps.

Generally, she'll want to stay on whatever it is for at least 2 weeks. In both my son and dad, it was longer than that. And there are meds, like Zantac, that you wouldn't expect that may help. We did see an allergist for hives. Even if they aren't allergic hives, they are probably a good choice for treatment. My hive experience was a long time ago-so there may be better choices now. Unfortunately, it can take a while to get in to allergists around here!

• Like 1

My older boy had hives from time to time. It could be allergies and/or viral. My boy is allergic to something in the dryer vent so we have to keep the window next to the dryer vent close if using the dryer. He sometimes get hives at parks. I get hives from spring cleaning even if I am not the one doing the spring cleaning at my home.

My boy's pediatrician did say that even if the allergist does the full panel test, the test might not figure out the allergen.

Does she have any new clothes? Dh got a severe reaction from some jeans a while ago. The doc said some of the ambo drivers had got them badly from their new uniforms - so badly some of them also developed breathing issues and other stuff?

The other thing that causes it in our house is a glut of oranges though nowhere near as severely.

Hives really can be stress related. My dad developed chronic hives when getting ready for my wedding. Zyrtec (daily) took care of them, though he was on it for over a year before they finally stopped coming back.

They can also be viral, or allergic of course. Most of the time a cause is never found actually.

My son had chronic hives as well. I assume allergic in his case, because a reaction to oranges set them off initially. But I'm not sure because they just didn't stop!  Zyrtec also helped (helps) him.

Does or did the benadryl temporarily help? Benadryl starts to wear off too quickly to suppress hives. Zyrtec, generally, is a better choice for hives than other anti-histamines according to the allergist we saw. It's worth a try. The dosing for hives may be higher for adults. I think I remember that with my dad perhaps.

Generally, she'll want to stay on whatever it is for at least 2 weeks. In both my son and dad, it was longer than that. And there are meds, like Zantac, that you wouldn't expect that may help. We did see an allergist for hives. Even if they aren't allergic hives, they are probably a good choice for treatment. My hive experience was a long time ago-so there may be better choices now. Unfortunately, it can take a while to get in to allergists around here!

the first thing she tried was loratidine (zyrtec) (that's very interesting).  then the Benadryl, and now prednisone.  zantac is a who'da thought.

they help initially for a few days, and then stop working and the hives get worse.  while I did suggest an allergist - I don't know if she could get into one before the wedding anyway.  six days . . . . (and they're not taking a honeymoon - no time.)

well - if it IS stress, things should start to get better in another month .  . .  or two . . . . . . maybe.

last rotation is next month.  then graduation, then boards.  she's started interviewing for jobs after she's passed her boards.

• Like 2

I've had hives twice in my life, and they were both brought on by stress. Emotional stress. No allergy medicine would work for them. The second time, my sweet dh took me away for a few day holiday, to relax, and get away from the painful stress I was going through. It helped a lot.

that's what her dr thinks it is, but her stress level isn't going to go down much in the near future.   she is pretty perfectionist though.

• Like 1

that hives could be completely stress related is news to me.  it seems counterintuitive.

I do know ways to mitigate stress and I'll make suggestions if she won't just brush me off.  I know stress burns through b-vitamins, and she is at least heterozygous (I'm homozygous) for a genetic mutation that reduces her ability to use b-vitamins/folates.

the first thing she tried was loratidine (zyrtec) (that's very interesting).  then the Benadryl, and now prednisone.  zantac is a who'da thought.

they help initially for a few days, and then stop working and the hives get worse.  while I did suggest an allergist - I don't know if she could get into one before the wedding anyway.  six days . . . . (and they're not taking a honeymoon - no time.)

well - if it IS stress, things should start to get better in another month .  . .  or two . . . . . . maybe.

last rotation is next month.  then graduation, then boards.  she's started interviewing for jobs after she's passed her boards.

Just remember that the zantac should be combined with something like Zyrtec. Loratidine is Claritin by the way and it's not as good with skin issues according to our allergist. Xyzal is even better than Zyrtec for skin issues, but you need a script.

I have a friend who had autoimmune hives (possibly brought on by stress) for months. She was recommended to remove wheat from her diet--by a chiropractor and not based on allergy tests--and it helped a lot. She can eat wheat now but limits the amount since that time.

If she can't reduce her stress, maybe she could take 5 minute intervals throughout the day to get in her "happy spot" and just breath and shut her eyes.

We all have a place that calms us, and also different rituals that calm us. 

I try to start and end each day unwinding. A few examples for me is: A calming noise/ white noise (fan etc..) drink or food, music, prayer, smells/scents, cuddling my little boy, and other things. I have gone through a tremendous amount of stress in my life. My brother was very abusive, my parents pretty much have dis owned me, my dh came down with an autoimmune disease, my son came out with problems, etc..

I have to purposefully chose to not be stressed out, each and every day.  

Hugs to your dd as she goes through all these changes in her life! You too, momma! Try to take care of yourself as well. :) 

Zyrtec is cetirizine actually, and it is (or was) the preferred allergy med for hives. I'm not sure what Loratidine is, but I don't think it's Allegra either, which is the other I've seen used by some. She can try Zyrtec OTC. Maybe she's past the point that would help, but it's worth a try I think, and at maximum dose. I so hope they can calm down for the wedding!

Hives can definitely be from stress or viral. The virus could have been months ago and then you have post-viral autoimmune hives. Do they come and go or are they always there? If they come and go somewhat they are more likely due to an allergic exposure. I had years of recurrent hives and angioedema in medical school and residency. I finally figured out they were due to ibuprofen which I took for my period or headaches. But every time I took it I think I would have days or a week of off and on hives. They could also be allergic if it's something that she is frequently exposed to. New detergent, lotion, etc. Sometimes it's not even new it's jus that the company has started making the product in a new way. 

Allergists will sometimes do an elimination diet with chronic hives, even if testing is negative. Basically, you eliminate the most common causes of allergy: soy, dairy, eggs, wheat, nuts, peanut, shellfish. Then if it gets better you gradually add in one food at a time until you discover the problem. 

Mycoplasma pneumonia and thryoid disease are unusual causes of hives. 

For treatment usually a combination of antihistamines: Zyrtec (which is certrizine) or Xyzal (which is presciption only) and Zantac. Zantac is an antihistamine, it just works at a different receptor than Zyrtec. Sometimes Atarax which is a prescription antihistamine works better than Benadryl. Sometimes adding in Singulair which is not an antihistmine but works differently for allergies helps. The Predinsone might have been given as a taper, which it usually is. That means it starts at a higher dose and then decreases. That might explain why it helped at first but then stopped. If she is miserable it might be worth seeing if she can get the higher dose to take for the days before and right around the wedding. 

• Like 1

*I've not read all the replies*

There is something called autoimmune uticaria.  Hives with no known cause - or at least so many causes that you can't pinpoint it.  An episode of hives could last upwards of 6 weeks.  She'd have to have a blood test for it at an allergists who knows to look for it.

http://chronichives.com/what-is-chronic-urticaria/autoimmune-urticaria/

Personally, I vote stress.  Especially since she is also fighting with you (not listening, arguing, denying, being irked, etc.) - are signs of stress and venting it where she feels safe.

I broke out head to toe with hives and purpural when my ds5 had an anaphylactic reaction from a dental visit.  So, I've had personal experience of stress related hives.

• Like 1

thank you for the replies.  the prednisone seems to be helping.  she's been down to one bump on an extremity for the last two days. (sure beats being covered)

I gave her a week supply of my b-complex (stress goes through b-vitamins), and she took it.  (after she carefully read the label.  even fsil found that amusing "the pharmacist must read the label").  I also gave her a couple types of oat/milk/lavender bath I have.  she seemed open to the idea of a bath - especially since it's been a long time since she had one.  and one of her providers mentioned oat bath being beneficial for the itching of the hives.

and her rotation is giving her Friday and Monday off.  she's excited to go pick-up her bff from the airport Friday morning.  (coincidently - at the exact same time as fsil's friends arrive.  different airlines, and coming from different cities.)