Menu

Biographies for Middle Grades and Up

I need a big list of (auto)-biographies for a reading list. A very, very big list.

The reading level doesn't matter but I'd prefer middle school to adult level texts. Any respectable (as in factual) biography of an influential person from the last 2 or 3 hundred years will work.

I want to include several athletes, artists, civic leaders, educators, explorers, immigrants, lay-people, mathematicians, pioneers, presidents, prodigies, scientists, social reformers and more. I don't mind if the biographies are largely Americans, but if I could get some diversity then that would be nice.

Has this list already been compiled on this forum? If so please link me because I can't find it.

• Like 1

The first two that came to my mind would be a little young for middle grades.... I'll post them anyway...  the Who Was.....? Series, and Childhood of Famous Americans series.  Another series on the easier side (but nice illustrations) is The Science Stories Books by Beverley Birch (Pasteur's Fight against Microbes, etc.) 

Picture books, but not easy readers, and interesting at any age are biographies by Diane Stanley. 

Seconding the Landmark books.  I read Winston Churchill's Landmark biography for my own reading a year or so back and loved it.  My dd enjoyed the Alexander the Great one.  DD also recently enjoyed Tiner's biography of Isaac Newton from the Sower Series.   

Albert Marrin  does some great biographies. Most are upper middle grades/high school level (grades 7 & up), IMO. 

Thomas Paine

Hitler

Mao Tse-Tung

Stalin - my dd#1 is reading this right now

Napoleon

Dr Jenner and the Speckled Monster

Here are some ideas that have come up in past threads - some of which aren't quite the 'biography' you are looking for, but might be great to include anyway:

Up From Slavery by Booker T Washington

Crucibles by Jaffe -- not so much a biography as a history of chemstry from the alchemists to modern day, by way of short biographical sketches of major contributors

Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxes

La Capital, The Biography of Mexico City by Kandell - a 700 year history of Mexico City, but contains a lot of historical figures

The Warburgs and Titan (Rockefeller), both by Ron Chernow

The Last Lion a biography of Winston Churchill (trilogy)

Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea by Charles Seife

• Like 1

These are all from my shelves:

Cleopatra - Stacy Schiff

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver - E. L. Koningsburg (about Eleanor of Aquitaine, more historical fiction than biography, but good for middle schoolers)

Galileo's Daughter - Dava Sobel

A More Perfect Heaven - Dava Sobel (Copernicus)

Longitude - Dava Sobel (John Harrison)

Men of Mathematics - E. T. Bell

Madam Curie - Eve Curie (her daughter)

From The Well Educated Mind history & autobiography section:

Plutarch's Lives

The Confessions - Augustine

The Book of Margery Kempe

Essays, Michel de Montaigne

The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila

Meditations - Descartes

Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners - John Bunyan

The Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration - Mary Rowlandson

Confessions - Rousseau

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Walden - Thoreau

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl - Harriet Jacobs

Life and Times of Frederick Douglass

Up From Slavery - Booker T Washington

Ecce Homo - Nietzsche

Mein Kampf - Hitler

An Autobiography - Gandhi

The Autobiography of Alice B Toklas - Gertrude Stein

The Seven Story Mountain - Thomas Merton

Surprised by Joy - C S Lewis

The Autobiography of Malcolm X

Journey of a Solitude - May Sarton

The Gulag Archipelago - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Born Again - Charles Colson

Hunger of Memory: The Education of Richard Rodrigues

The Road from Coorain - Jill Ker Conway

All Rivers Run to the Sea - Elie Wiesel

Argh, the boards ate up my reply.

The DK biographies are generally diverse and were well received here.

Isaac Asimov's Biography Encyclopedia will give you at a glance entries to take bunny trails from.

I know you asked for middle school and up but Mike Venezia writes life stories about artists and musicians and I think inventors too. I've found many quite delightful. Ignore if too young.

Arvind Gupta's Books (click on books) offers many free downloads on biographies, science, etc. There is a collection of Asimov science books there too if you are interested. Keep scrolling down to choose.

Men of Mathematics by Bell (my DH liked this one, I haven't finished it).

The Man Who Knew Infinity (on Ramanujan, loved it!).

Gribbin's book on Scientists (also very good).

ETA: Fifty Famous People, and I think there are sequels too, by James Baldwin (currently free on Kindle).

DS8 is reading his way through the Landmark[1] and Signature[1] series of bios... probably more upper elementary than middle school... but great if you have a good library with ILL access.

[1] http://www.valerieslivinglibrary.com/lm.htm

[2] http://www.valerieslivinglibrary.com/signature.htm

The Messner biographies are very good as well.

http://www.valerieslivinglibrary.com/messner.htm

• Like 1

The Messner biographies are very good as well.

http://www.valerieslivinglibrary.com/messner.htm

Wow. I'll have to check those out. They have a few unique additions like Descartes, Cushing, and Agassiz, etc over some other series... Since they have Paul Robeson and Big Bill Haywood, I presume they are liberal enough for us. Thx.

• Like 1

My ds14 and I really like the Signature Lives series.  They have a huge variety from different time periods and countries.  I think that ds has read nearly every one that our library has!

Here is a link: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=signature+lives+series&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=HMQ1VdbnF4LisAT-ioCgCg&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1536&bih=791 

so that you know what the covers look like. 

Some of the best biographies I know are actually picture books. They're written on a higher reading level, but I know some parents and children think all picture books are just for little kids, so I don't want to suggest them unless you go "Yeah, sure!"

• Like 3

Some of the best biographies I know are actually picture books. They're written on a higher reading level, but I know some parents and children think all picture books are just for little kids, so I don't want to suggest them unless you go "Yeah, sure!"

I agree. I assumed anyone looking for middle school resources had already read all of the Dianne Stanley and Demi biographies for a start...

What other books would you recommend?

• 8 months later...

I didn't respond the first time because the question was so vague - I thought the responses you got were also a bit all over the map as a result. I agree with Tanaqui that the best biographies for middle schoolers are usually long form picture books. And there's a growing body of good YA and middle grades nonfiction that includes biographies but the way you phrased it made me think you maybe want adult level reading just that's appropriate for younger readers?

I required that my 6th graders choose a longer biography to read this year and gave them a list of recommendations that were the following, all of which are biographies aimed specifically at middle school age readers:

Charles and Emma by Deborah Heiligaman

The Notorious Benedict Arnold by Steve Sheinkin

Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different

The Keeper by Tim Howard (young readers edition)

I Am Malala (young readers edition)

The Boy Who Harnassed the Wind (young readers edition)

Boy and Going Solo by Roald Dahl

Those might not all fit your "important figures" rule though.

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion. In the OP I said that the reading level doesn't matter but that I prefer books on the middle school - adult reading range but only because they tend to contain a greater density of facts/details than many of the picture book biographies that we've read.

However, I will remove the restriction of any reading level. I'm just looking for good-great biographies and too lazy busy to do all the ground work myself. I figured that the WTM Forums would have compiled book lists for nearly every genre/topic/grade or at least be able to compile a respectable list a whole lot faster and better than I ever could working by my lonesome, lol.

I didn't respond the first time because the question was so vague - I thought the responses you got were also a bit all over the map as a result. I agree with Tanaqui that the best biographies for middle schoolers are usually long form picture books. And there's a growing body of good YA and middle grades nonfiction that includes biographies but the way you phrased it made me think you maybe want adult level reading just that's appropriate for younger readers?

I required that my 6th graders choose a longer biography to read this year and gave them a list of recommendations that were the following, all of which are biographies aimed specifically at middle school age readers:

Charles and Emma by Deborah Heiligaman

The Notorious Benedict Arnold by Steve Sheinkin

Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different

The Keeper by Tim Howard (young readers edition)

I Am Malala (young readers edition)

The Boy Who Harnassed the Wind (young readers edition)

Boy and Going Solo by Roald Dahl

Those might not all fit your "important figures" rule though.

Thanks, I'll add them to the list. I've gotta run real quick, I think someone may have started a fire in the kitchen....

I guess I'm still not totally sure what the focus is for the books. If it's just to read biographies as a genre, then you're getting lots of varied good ideas. If the focus is on aligning with history, then I'd suggest different things than if the focus is on reading quality, challenging nonfiction. And I'd probably suggest something else if it's just for a kid who loves to read biographies. My goal in my list for my kids was just "read a good longer nonfiction work" - I've been trying to get them to branch out their reading. But your goal may be really different.

I hope nothing was actually on fire in the kitchen... though I sure know that feeling...  :laugh:

Great thread, Gil. It has definitely given me some ideas. I'm going to get younger to read Uncle Tungsten as both a longer book and to relate to our chemistry studies.

Once a kid can handle it, I think the Autobiography of Frederick Douglass is amazing. But it definitely has some yucky stuff in it. My older read it at 13.

I'm off to the library today with this thread in hand. (-: