Menu

Would anyone be willing to edit a guide I wrote in exchange for a free copy of it?

I'm currently trying to finish updating a guide I wrote for The Book of the Ancient Greeks by Dorothy Mills, so that I can then offer a print version of it through Lulu. I'm planning on making the first book an 8.5*11, black and white spiral edition. I would like to offer an electronic version of it soon too. I'd really love another pair of eyes to look over it before I consider it complete. I am completely new to this whole process.

Would anyone be willing to look it over and offer any edits needed in exchange for a free copy of it? I can either send you a print copy, or as soon as I can have it ready, an electronic version.

A way you can do it efficiently is upload the manuscript in Google Drive, share it with someone, and give them editing or commenting rights. With just commenting, they will highlight and make comments on changes and you can decide whether to make that change. With editing rights, they can go in and change it. 

It's pretty cool. My 15 year old dd was showing me that feature. It's all done in real time, so if you both happen to be on at the same time, there can be back and forth taking place. We've done that too, since I have homework of my own, but I'd check in on her as she's working on the laptop and make comments. Did I mention it's pretty cool? Then again, it doesn't take much to impress me.

How soon would you need the editing to take place and completed?

• Like 3

Are you wanting someone to actually try out using it, or 'just' read it? Do you need to have a copy of the book by Mills?

I was thinking 'just' read it. It probably would be helpful to have the book, but not necessary. Maybe a library has a copy of it? Hmmm, maybe I should have polished the guide for The Book of the Ancient Romans, first. :) There was a free copy of this one, but I'll have to check to be sure that it's still there. I do have the guides written for all of the main books by Dorothy Mills, except The Middle Ages, and I do intend to write this one next.

A way you can do it efficiently is upload the manuscript in Google Drive, share it with someone, and give them editing or commenting rights. With just commenting, they will highlight and make comments on changes and you can decide whether to make that change. With editing rights, they can go in and change it. 

It's pretty cool. My 15 year old dd was showing me that feature. It's all done in real time, so if you both happen to be on at the same time, there can be back and forth taking place. We've done that too, since I have homework of my own, but I'd check in on her as she's working on the laptop and make comments. Did I mention it's pretty cool? Then again, it doesn't take much to impress me.

How soon would you need the editing to take place and completed?

This is exactly how I would like to do this. Thank you!

I would love to do it as soon as possible, but I know that everyone has their own busy lives and schedules. I would be grateful for any help, so I wouldn't complain. :)

I might be interested.  I'm writing my own stuff (mostly LA materials), putting downloadables on gumroad and making available in spiral-bound at lulu. You should come over for coffee! :cheers2:  

Checking out your stuff, editing and reviewing, might be a welcome break to my work. (My current book -3rd grade spelling :huh: - is not as fun as Ancient Greece! :lol: )

I see you are a CM/Classical mom....hmmm...I'd probably *squishy-heart-love* your stuff and be hooked after one edit. :w00t:

• Like 1

I might be interested.  I'm writing my own stuff (mostly LA materials), putting downloadables on gumroad and making available in spiral-bound at lulu. You should come over for coffee! :cheers2:   I would love to come for coffee...I don't even drink coffee (tea or hot chocolate maybe) and I would still love to come and drink coffee. :)

Checking out your stuff, editing and reviewing, might be a welcome break to my work. (My current book -3rd grade spelling :huh: - is not as fun as Ancient Greece! :lol: )

I see you are a CM/Classical mom....hmmm...I'd probably *squishy-heart-love* your stuff and be hooked after one edit. :w00t:

I would love for you to look over it. I can even offer you more free editions as they come available, if you do like them. I could let you pick and choose as long as you like. :) Just let me know if you would like to do this and I'll send it to you as a Google document with editing/commenting features such as Renai suggested. And this would be at your leisure as well.

• Like 1

I would love for you to look over it. I can even offer you more free editions as they come available, if you do like them. I could let you pick and choose as long as you like. :) Just let me know if you would like to do this and I'll send it to you as a Google document with editing/commenting features such as Renai suggested. And this would be at your leisure as well.

:thumbup:  

• Like 1

I have the Mills book and would be willing to read your guide for you. I was my high school newspaper editor once upon a time and still have a pretty good eye for catching things.

Thank you! I'll send you a copy of it through a private message. Thank you so much! :) Once I have it in a published form, I'll send you a copy of that too.

• Like 1

I was thinking 'just' read it. It probably would be helpful to have the book, but not necessary. Maybe a library has a copy of it? Hmmm, maybe I should have polished the guide for The Book of the Ancient Romans, first. :) There was a free copy of this one, but I'll have to check to be sure that it's still there. I do have the guides written for all of the main books by Dorothy Mills, except The Middle Ages, and I do intend to write this one next.

Two slightly OT questions...first, how different is the updated version of your guide for the BoAG? Would you recommend I buy the newer version to use with my younger two kids? I used (and loved) the free book notes with my 7th grader this year. I think it is the one resource that (finally) helped me understand CM-style narrations, lol. Second, do you have an idea of when you will have the guide for The Middle Ages finished? I had thought to use Mills' R and R for my daughter's 8th grade year since I have the guide for that, but my daughter really wants to do The Middle Ages instead. No pressure or anything, I was just wondering. :001_smile:

• Like 1

Two slightly OT questions...first, how different is the updated version of your guide for the BoAG? Would you recommend I buy the newer version to use with my younger two kids? I used (and loved) the free book notes with my 7th grader this year. I think it is the one resource that (finally) helped me understand CM-style narrations, lol. Second, do you have an idea of when you will have the guide for The Middle Ages finished? I had thought to use Mills' R and R for my daughter's 8th grade year since I have the guide for that, but my daughter really wants to do The Middle Ages instead. No pressure or anything, I was just wondering. :001_smile:

Aww, thank you. I'm so glad that you really liked them.

The updated version is not very different from the original. I did raise the font size and clean it up a bit. I have three wonderful ladies who are going to look at and give me some suggestions. I will edit it more after I read their suggestions. I'm very open to suggestions and would be happy to hear any that you may have, since you and your daughter have already used it. I can change anything that is unclear and add whatever might be missing.

I could start The Middle Ages now...well, not right now, but this weekend maybe. Lol! :)

I was thinking about cleaning up and editing Renaissance and Reformation Times a bit more too. This was the first guide of the series by Mills that I wrote, so it probably looks it. :)

I would be interested in reading through the guides for Middle Ages and Renaissance and Reformation when they are completed.  We are currently reading Mill's Middle Ages and will do Renaissance next year.

Thank you! I would really appreciate your help. You ladies are wonderful! :)