Menu

Preparing for EXPLORE

mathnerd

DS will take the explore next year (at age 8) if it is still available at that time. I am wondering what kind of preparation he can do this year for it. There are sample tests on the explore website and it looks like the questions are the same for all grades. He tried some of the science questions and was ill prepared for them, though math and LA were a lot better than science. He has scored 99 percentile in ERB CTP4, ITBS and SCAT and hence we thought that EXPLORE might be the next step. But, I am not sure that I want to send my anxiety ridden perfectionist to a test like EXPLORE where he did not know answers to many questions. I am wondering if there are any resources for EXPLORE preparation. TIA.

I didn't find much, so I had DD(then 8) do an ACT practice test (telling her that this was MUCH harder than the test she had to do), and timed each section for 30 minutes. She'd never before taken a test with a separate answer sheet, so this was mostly to get her used to the test format, not the questions.  She came out of the EXPLORE commenting on how "Easy" it was, so I think using the ACT practice was a good choice. There are also lots of things about ACT strategy online, which may be useful-it's a similar format.

• Like 1

do an ACT practice test (telling her that this was MUCH harder than the test she had to do), and timed each section for 30 minutes. 

Great idea, thank you. My library has many ACT prep books that I will look into.

Duke will continue to offer Explore "Registration for the 2015-2016 EXPLORE test will open in September."

A school district posted a 2012 practice test for Explore on their website. Not linking because of copyright.

Arcadia, I googled and got the resource that you mentioned. Thanks!

Looks like a lot of catching up for us before attempting EXPLORE. Thank you for your help.