Menu

Standardized Testing - Give above Grade Level test?

scbusf

Our state requires an end of the year standardized test - and the kids only need to score above the 24th percentile to "pass".  I just administered the ITBS to both DS (3rd grade) and DD (1st grade).  They both blew it out of the water.  Composite scores for both kids were 99th percentile.  I knew they were ahead, but I really had no idea.

For next year, should I give the test a grade ahead of their ages?  Does it matter?

It matters if you want to get any information out of the test for your own purposes: identifying relative strengths and weaknesses.  I always have given above grade level just because I get irritated paying for a useless test.  It just typically confirms what I already think I know - but gives me confidence in my instincts.  Brownie

• Like 3

If you test through BJU, there is supposed to be a way to get two sets of scores for an above-level test. One compared to the grade tested and the other compared to age. We test for our own planning purposes only, so I've never bothered paying the fee to get the extra set of scores.

Some states will allow talent search tests to satisfy HS testing requirements. You may want to check if that's the case in yours.

Most advice is to give it at grade level. That's the point of standardized . If you aren't submitting it to the school district you could give a more advanced exam for your own information. Although I find standardized tests just tell me what I already know.

I find that I get the most information with the least amount of frustration when my children's ITBS composite scores are at around the 90th percentile.  I can see what scores are actually lower than the rest but the test overall is not very difficult, if that makes sense.

You might have to go up more than one level.  You could try one level above next year and then if the composite scores are still above the 90th percentile, do two levels up the next year.  Your current 1st grader may have a dip on the 3rd grade test because the format changes, but that should resolve the next year.

You can get two sets of scores from BJU--I've done it several times.  It's called a "score adjustment" I believe.  Just call them and ask how to order it.

We were in the same boat.  I continued at grade level all the way up to high school; I wanted to use it as a tool to compare year to year.  

I wanted consistency with our testing and I was able to see the little drops/gains each year because I stuck with the grade they were in.  I didn't have to report it to anyone, so the results were just for our own use.  

We were in the same boat.  I continued at grade level all the way up to high school; I wanted to use it as a tool to compare year to year.  

I wanted consistency with our testing and I was able to see the little drops/gains each year because I stuck with the grade they were in.  I didn't have to report it to anyone, so the results were just for our own use.  

With the ITBS can compare year to year using the standard scores (SS).  Which is what you have to do if your kid is at the 99th percentile down the line anyhow.

At 3rd grade, I moved to the EXPLORE for that reason (and will probably move to the ACT next year). It still didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but it seemed like less of a waste of time.

With some students, unless you go considerably above grade level, all you will see is "greater than 99th%" across all measures.  So it's not helpful from a planning standpoint, but any exam that is at least on level will meet state requirements.

For high ability kids, EXPLORE, SAT and ACT may be better measures of where they are and provide guidance in ways to direct their development, though middle school kids ceiling out of those too.

• Like 2