Menu

Roommate care package ideas please :)

clementine

So, we move our dd into the dorms in August.  Her roomate is a friend of hers, although they don't see each other often, maybe once a month.  

I want to leave them with a 'roommate care-package' (boxed and wrapped). They can open it together after they are all moved in & we leave them. I'd like each item to have a 'reason'.  

Here's what I'm thinking:

A Costco package of gum - I think there are 14 packs, so 7 for each of them.  "To remember to stick together when the going gets tough."

2 pks of bandaids - "To patch things up quickly if things go wrong."

2 pkgs of glow sticks - "To be a light to each other and those they meet."

2 lip balms - "To take care of your smiles."

A gift card to a local restaurant - "To enjoy a dinner together away from the cafeteria."

Any other creative ideas?  Thank you!!

• Like 7

Some chocolate and maybe a package of hot chocolate mix and a couple of mugs, for those times when they need to take care of each other emotionally or if they need to talk out roommate issues.

A couple of flashlights, in case one is sleeping, and the other needs to get up early or be up late.

• Like 1

A couple of flashlights, in case one is sleeping, and the other needs to get up early or be up late.

This reminded me...I was at MIT during the Y2K scare.  The university gave each student who was going to be in the dorms over the New Year a flashlight to protect ourselves with as the world as we knew it collapsed into a date induced cataclysm. Our twenty five grand in yearly tuition did not, however, cover batteries for our cheap, plastic flashlight; we had to provide our own.

Wendy

• Like 5

Hershey's hugs -- friendly hugs are always good

Packaged nuts -- everyone acts nutty sometimes

Canned soup -- for 2 "soup"-er girls

Chocolate -- because chocolate fixes everything

ETA:  Ramen Noodles -- for study time (use your noodle)

• Like 7

Rather than an ordinary flashlight for each of them that they won't be able to find after the power goes out, I would get combo nightlights/emergency flashlights like these:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Eton-Emergency-Flashlight-Nightlight/dp/B0045W0MD4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429493973&sr=8-2&keywords=plug+in+emergency+flashlight

I got my kids something like this for the dorms. In a power outage, they can be on for up to 4 hours and they will turn on automatically if the power goes out so you don't have to hunt for them.

Either earplugs or noise cancelling headphones are recommended. My 19yo wears her noise cancelling headphones every night. 

My 16yo sent a pair of noise cancelling headphones to her best friend after finding out that the roommates snored.