Menu

Stiff neck, no fever/it has not gone away

MamaBearTeacher

Last fall my son had a stiff neck, a bit of a headache and high fever with cough that went on for a few days. We brought him to the hospital and they said it was pneumonia and a pretty bad case but it went away the next day.

Now he has a headache, a bit of a stiff neck, some congestion and cough but no fever. He is sleeping a lot but otherwise himself and wanting to do everything he usually does.

I am worried but just wondering if the stiff neck and headache could just be his body's usual reaction to illness? I used to get migrainy when I was sick as a child. I don't really want to go to the doctor or hospital right now.

Update: The stiff neck has not gone away after 3 days. He keeps his head still when he walks. He is not really congested but his voice sounds a bit congested. He has no fever and good energy levels. Today he woke up with one eye red and slightly puffy but I don't know if it's related. I am not worried about meningitis, but worried about his neck. I am scared to try medication as we tend to react badly often. (PS: this is my 8-year old)

I had a stiff neck, soar throat, and headache for several days last week. I figured out it was allergies--spring finally started here and I felt horrible. I started on Claritin and alkaseltzer cold capsules and felt immensely better.

I've never had that symptom to allergies before. I've found over the years I don't always have a "usual" reaction. Sometimes I have to consider is the symptom a new reaction to something I've had before.

Personally, I wouldn't worry at this point.  Right now I have congestion (which, like Diana P. mentioned is probably due to allergies) which is causing sinus pressure, headache and a stiff, achy neck.

Obviously, with a stiff neck your mind jumps to meningitis, but with "a bit of a stiff neck", no fever and fairly normal disposition, I would just be keeping an eye on the kid for now and watching for worsening symptoms.

Hopefully he manages to get a lot of sleep and wakes up feeling better.

Wendy

Stiff neck and stomachache are my two irrational fears, but most of the time it's nothing. Stomachaches are hardly ever appendicitis. Stiff necks usually come from sleeping funny or congestion. Without a fever, I'd just pay attention and monitor the situation.

Two of my kids had a weird one day virus that consisted of a stiff neck, head ache, and sore throat. I think the test for meningitis is if they can't touch their chin to their chest. Maybe keep an eye on that. But I wouldn't be rushing to the Dr.

The flu that my dd had in Feb started with a painful neck. Same thing for a friend's son a week or so later. I actually did take her to the doctor when she was running a fever the next day. He checked mobility--she could move her head all around just fine. Did a very nice tuck jump when he asked her if she could jump. He declared her to just have a virus. I concluded that "painful neck" was just part of that virus.

I had a doctor tell me, when I was in my 20s, that my stiff neck (which essentially debilitated me in bed--I could not move at first without help!) can be a virus lodging in that part of the body. Anyway, I was "just sick" not the really serious stuff. :-/

I agree, the allergies can do weird things too.

Since the stiff neck has not subsided, I would take him to the doctor. Has he been taking anything like tylenol, motrin, or aleve which might mask a fever?

Viruses love the nervous system; has he had influenza in the last few months?

You could probably wait until Monday, or better yet call his doctor's office, speak to the on-call doctor, and follow her advice.

I hope he feels better very soon! :)