Menu

Math curriculum choices and advice....

Hi, I have a gifted 10 year old that will be officially in 5th grade in the fall.  I am trying to nail down what to use for math with him.  Math is definitely his best and easiest subject for him.  He is doing Horizons Math 4 right now, coupled with Singapore Math 4.  He's doing just the student book in the Singapore "just for fun" and by choice.  He is good at self-teaching, which is great since math is not my best subject. 

For fall, should I continue with Horizons 5?  Should we do Singapore Math 5 too, as I am sure he will ask for it?  Or, I also had someone ask me if we were starting him in pre-algebra, which is what he would be in if he was at the local public school.  I know nothing yet about pre-algebra material or curriculum.  What is the best age to begin that?   

Any tips or advice?  Since math is not my best subject, I would prefer to either have it set up to where he can learn on his own or where it requires minimal teaching.  :)

Thanks!

Math level placement should be based on skills, not age.  In other words, he should start prealgebra whenever he has completed the skill prerequisites for the program you have selected.

ETA, "prealgebra" isn't a particularly meaningful term, as it simply refers to math right before algebra 1.  Some "prealgebra" programs focus more on a review of arithmetic, some more on an introduction to algebra, and many in between.  I tend to think that most kids are ready for prealgebra when they've had a good deal of instruction in fractions/decimals/percents and are ready for a little more depth on those topics, topics in combination, and topics that prepare in turn for algebra 1.  Also, some programs don't use the term "prealgebra" but rather cover the same topics over "grades 7 and 8."

I would consider (1) whether Horizons 4 is the correct level placement, (2) whether he is able to learn at a faster pace than he is currently moving, and (3) whether the student would benefit from more depth than is offered by the current selection of resources - for example, try Singapore's Challenging Word Problems or Intensive Practice instead of the regular workbook, if the regular workbook is too easy for him.  (In most situations, it would not make sense that a student would be simultaneously ready for prealgebra *and* correctly placed in a grade 4 program, unless the "prealgebra" was going to be used for some sort of accelerated primary instruction on the topics typically taught in grade 5.)

FWIW, I seriously doubt your local schools are teaching Pre-algebra in 5th grade. That would imply a 2 year acceleration, across the board, since PA is typically taught in 7th or in 7th and 8th. It may be that what they're referring to is the algebra strand of the common core math, and Singapore covered those skills fine even before the CC came out. I imagine Horizons does as well. If you want a "pre-algebra" book at the appropriate level, I suggest the Scholastic "Algebra Readiness Made Easy" books, which are usually in the $1 ebook sale several times a year. They're a nice way to bridge between grade level math and algebra skills.

I do suggest using the Singapore IP or CWP rather than the student book if SM is a supplement. The Student book is on he easy side, and is almost certainly just re teaching Horizons. The IP or CWP will go more in depth.