Menu

testing for dys qualifying *updated qualifying info in post 96*

4ofus

It seems like they've tightened the test requirements slightly but now only require one test. (my guess is that they mostly wanted to de-emphasize the portfolio. It seems like pretty much every person I've talked to who has had a child get into DYS in the last few years did the portfolio, because unless you pay for private testing, usually schools don't do a full IQ test, only a screener and achievement. I imagine the portfolios take MUCH longer to evaluate).

• Like 2

Did they change the achievement portion?  I thought for the WJ they used to just need the 145 in one area.  Now it's two, and of course DS has one at 146, and 1 at 144. :glare:

ETA: and academic skills is 152, but that one doesn't count. :nopity:

Yes, they keep raising the cutoffs. It makes it frustrating for a younger sibling who would've qualified under the criteria of a few years ago but now just barely misses it. FWIW, my oldest would've had to wait for the SAT in 6th to qualify given that her 3rd grade EXPLORE scores just barely miss the new cutoffs.

• Like 1

Yes, they keep raising the cutoffs. It makes it frustrating for a younger sibling who would've qualified under the criteria of a few years ago but now just barely misses it. FWIW, my oldest would've had to wait for the SAT in 6th to qualify given that her 3rd grade EXPLORE scores just barely miss the new cutoffs.

I planned on doing the Explore anyways, but I hadn't checked the DYS qualifications for that.  Do you know roughly how much they raised them?

We also likely have a neuropsych eval in our future, so he may possibly have a different scatter for the testing involved with that.

For DA specifically, do be prepared that they seem to adhere very strongly to this from their website:

perform at an academic level of advanced middle school or higher in all subjects;

So even if you have a Grade 5 or 6 kid with Grade 10 level ACT qualifying scores in some subtests, they will reject you based on not being able to write at an advanced level.

(not based on personal experience as we don't want to move to Reno...this was from a good friend a few years ago)

• Like 1

Guest slammie

Hello!

I was at the DYS summit last month with my 2 kiddos and was sad that my DS could not participate with younger YSDD. He has a qualifying GAI score but he did not have any achievement testing done, so we did not apply for him and did not want to go the portfolio route. One of the DITD staff members mentioned the change in criteria and I am hoping that more 2E kids who may not have had an opportunity to do out of level work at school will now qualify!

I noticed they removed the  information regarding who to use as a nominator - we used DD's piano teacher as the nominator last year and since DS has no other tutors and school teachers are basically clueless to his abilities, I'm not sure if she would still be a good person to ask. This section on their website lists the questions they will need to ask and it appears they are academic in nature. Any thoughts on this? TIA!

http://print.ditd.org/young_scholars/ApplicationChecklist.pdf

Guest slammie

Thanks dmmetler for the suggestion. No online classes. I feel like I have failed him, actually. We were so concerned about his social issues (lack of friends) and possibly being on the spectrum (obsessions and bizarre photographic memory skills) that I did zero academic enrichment and really didn't provide any further opportunities to advance in science and math outside of school. I didn't realize getting As in his classes was underachievement in his case and plus he has vision issues that we are currently getting therapy for. Having DD tested was a huge eye opener and subsequently, we had his IQ tested also. After I had to pull DD out to homeschool and started working with other curriculum (Singapore and beast academy),I began to realize he was ready for so much more. I gave him the AOPS prealgebra "are you ready assessment" when he turned 9 and he was easily ready for it. Unfortunately, his gate magnet school expects a ton of homework completed so I didn't feel it was right to afterschool, particulary as his vision issues affects the speed in which he completes them. He is now begging to homeschool also.

Sorry to veer off topic - no other nominators. However, the piano teacher could document his gifts in this area along with his amazing memory feats. 

Could you ask a family friend who knows him well? I served as nominator for one of my friends although she had many teachers to ask. She wanted someone who knew her son more deeply than that and I was touched and honored to oblige. You might know someone in your circle of good friends who feels the same way about your son.

ETA: We were all part of a small-group homeschool class run by us parents and I could answer honestly in that respect that I knew of his academic abilities.

I don't think the 5th/6th grade EXPLORE score cutoffs changed, or the 7th ACT. Those are the only ones I've been looking at. Were the changes just to the earliest grades you think?

The EXPLORE cutoffs changed sometime prior to fall 2014. The changes this time around seem to be with the individual achievement tests.

• Like 1

Slammie,

Music theory is counted as academic when we were with a public chartered school. I ask my boys' science teacher to be nominated for both boys as only one of my kids did music theory classes.

You could ask your DYS family consultant though what the current criteria is for nominator. We ask ours lots of questions and let her decide if it is in her job scope to answer.

At what grade/age do most people who apply begin testing?

We have DS9 tested recently because we have questions and DS10 was tested at the same week for the fun of it. Since their results qualified we applied. So it was cart before the horse instead.

So even if you have a Grade 5 or 6 kid with Grade 10 level ACT qualifying scores in some subtests, they will reject you based on not being able to write at an advanced level.

My hubby believes that if you don't apply than you won't know :lol: the stubborn gene didn't come from just one side of the family.

ETA:

He is nagging me to RSVP for school visit. I'm seeing when would be the best time for a Lake Tahoe vacation :)

• Like 2

My hubby believes that if you don't apply than you won't know :lol: the stubborn gene didn't come from just one side of the family.

Of course. I agree with that and feel that it is worth the risk if you are strongly for DA. :thumbup:

ETA:

He is nagging me to RSVP for school visit. I'm seeing when would be the best time for a Lake Tahoe vacation :)

What I'm hearing through the grapevine is that kids who are potentially eligible but who need more work in writing are being told to sign up for the distance ed classes (very pricey tuition) and re-apply after completion of those.

They've also tweaked the IQ requirements. We just did IQ testing (we've only received 1 of the 3 full reports). My oldest qualified in a number of ways. My middle qualified with verbal only (on the day of the test), but now verbal only is not enough. He has a number of other numbers 140+, too, so kind of frustrating. My youngest also had only her verbal above 145, but she took the primary test, which previously did not take verbal at all and now takes it as one of two (so no change in eligibility for her).

• Like 1

Music theory is counted as academic 

This is great! I did not know that music theory can be used in the portfolio. I have a math heavy portfolio, but this might add diversity :) I suppose that my son's  CM theory answer sheets will help.

This is great! I did not know that music theory can be used in the portfolio. I have a math heavy portfolio, but this might add diversity :) I suppose that my son's CM theory answer sheets will help.

Portfolio no longer needed under new criteria. Only achievement test or IQ test results.

On the curriculum used page, I did copy and paste from CSMA as that's where my kids went for music theory.

DA's qualifying scores are higher on the SAT than DYS. I suspect part of that is that by the time you're looking at DA, you're close to the age range where a lot of people start doing serious test prep, and it's not really an "out of level" test anymore.

It's a pretty involved screening process, which kind of makes DYS look like a cakewalk in comparison. I'm guessing that's going to be the case for the other programs that take kids before the usual DE age as well.

Are you sure about this? Maybe I'm confused, but the required scores look identical to me. For 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th the scores are identical. Not to say there aren't other areas taken into consideration, I'm just addressing SAT scores.

http://www.davidsongifted.org/youngscholars/Article/Davidson_Young_Scholars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

http://www.davidsonacademy.unr.edu/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=144

I also noticed homeschoolers must submit ACT or SAT. IQ testing is not enough for DA. Interesting!

The old option was IQ scores and portfolio. Now the option is IQ scores only.

So achievement test scores was never compulsory except for DA.

But...if you had a 2E identified by discrepancy testing who qualified with IQ but missed achievement scores because of the 2nd exceptionality, in the past the psych still had to send those achievement scores and you couldn't do the portfolio option. Now it looks like you don't even have to send those scores in and you can qualify with IQ alone. That would be a major change for the 2E community.

Now it looks like you don't even have to send those scores in and you can qualify with IQ alone. That would be a major change for the 2E community.

When we check the qualifying criteria around end of 2014, there was already no necessity to do any achievement test if you have IQ test scores that qualify. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem new news to me other than dropping the requirement for portfolio.

My kids don't take any of the eligible achievement tests.

Not sure if they change the criteria before end of last year which is probably why we are talking past each other.

But...if you had a 2E identified by discrepancy testing who qualified with IQ but missed achievement scores because of the 2nd exceptionality, in the past the psych still had to send those achievement scores and you couldn't do the portfolio option. Now it looks like you don't even have to send those scores in and you can qualify with IQ alone. That would be a major change for the 2E community.

If you don't want to send the full report, you may be able to get a letter from the psychologist with just the IQ scores. I'm having the neuropsych who tested my little one a few weeks ago write a letter to the Scottish Rite language clinic with just the non-verbal IQ information and not all the other test results. They aren't relevant because all I need to prove is that my little one has an underlying IQ in the average-to-above range.

When we check the qualifying criteria around end of 2014, there was already no necessity to do any achievement test if you have IQ test scores that qualify. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem new news to me other than dropping the requirement for portfolio.

My kids don't take any of the eligible achievement tests.

Not sure if they change the criteria before end of last year which is probably why we are talking past each other.

That must be it. It is a change from the last time I inquired. Now I have to decide what to do about it. :tongue_smilie:

• 4 weeks later...

We heard back today from DYS & young son is in! 

I had to come here & thank you ladies that had encouraging things to say while I was undecided on testing, and then undecided on the portfolio. 

Without this resource, I'm not sure I'd have ever discovered DYS & I think I might've been too unsure to actually apply if I did discover it. 

Thanks to you all, you're a remarkable group of encouraging parents!!

• Like 13

Congrats!!!

Good luck for your older son :)

Now I am doing the color the bubble for the ACT mail in form and having a logic debate with hubby over section G because there are two right answers for DS10 :lol:

ETA:

CTY JHU has the ACT form up which does not require coloring the bubble. A lot easier to fill up

http://cty.jhu.edu/talent/testing/about/act.html#ACTtestregmaterial

• Like 1

Older son's app is in for Aug review. More waiting :).

Arcadia, is section G the homescool or not yet high school section?? I actually called ACT about that one :).

Dmmetler, I'd like to attend summit for sure! I just returned enrollment docs, so I still have a week-ish before I can access information. So...idk!

Thanks y'all!

• Like 1