Menu

broke down and bought IEW

I've only watched about 40 minutes worth of the seminar, but so far I am really liking what I see.  The ideas aren't totally new to me, but I like how they are broken into steps and that he demonstrates the steps.  I think I'll feel a lot more confident after.  I've had a hard time articulating the process to my kids.

• Like 9

IEW was such a gift to me. Being a math/science girl, language arts was the area I was most afraid. Fortunately, dd was able to attend a wonderful, free class in middle school offered by a retired English teacher. I knew that class was not going to be around for ds, so I was going to have to do it myself. IEW helped me so much that I've taught writing classes for 2 years and will again next year. Teaching the Classics (which they sell but didn't create) did for me in literature what IEW did in writing. I've lead a book club for 4 years. 

• Like 10

If you watch the TWSS, definitely do the practice writing assignments.  They give you a great appreciation of how difficult the assignments can be.

What surprised the heck out of me was that my 9 year old blew the 13 year old out of the water with the assignment. 

shhh...I didn't tell you that.

The 9 year old is very stealthy like that though.  He's my school hater who moans about everything.

• Like 3

I've been flirting with the idea of buying IEW for a few years now, but I finally decided I'm going to take the plunge next month. :001_smile:

I was heavily considering just buying the writing intensive.  It says right in there that you can use the program without buying the teacher seminar stuff.  I think that is true so far, but I felt like I understood stuff much more thoroughly after watching the DVD. 

• Like 5

I think that there are potential problems with IEW, but none of that matters if the kid has a melt down that lasts a week before getting a paragraph on paper.

I'd love to have a kid who could write flowery things that need to be edited. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

IEW has taken the drama out of writing for my son. 

I think part of the problem with IEW is that many start using it thinking this is it.  This is all that IEW as a whole really is.  That isn't true.  The main starting program is the foundation.  It isn't all that there is or should be.  For some kids the foundation is already there and they don't need this part to be that systematic and broken down. They can leap ahead.  But for many these steps really are very needed before they can easily move to tackle other parts of the writing puzzle.

I guess it would kind of be like using MM through, say, 5th grade, stopping at that point, then feeling like it was an incomplete math program.  Well, yes, stopping there does make it incomplete.  There is much more to math than just what they have done so far, KWIM?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

We have used some IEW stuff at a co-op and like it. I did however not follow the checklists rigidly when it came to different type of sentences because often ds would write a great paragraph that had a lot of sentence variety in it and forcing more sentence types into an already good paper seemed like it would ruin it.