Menu

Handwriting

hpedlar

I have a 4th and 1st grader using A Reason for Handwriting.  The 4th grader and my older two girls have all loathed cursive.  They all have also been in public school for part of their school career, where cursive is taught but not required to be used.  I am seriously considering ditching cursive instruction because I don't know if it's worth dying on a hill over.  Any thoughts?   

• Like 1

Any reason they loathe cursive in particular?   How do you feel about cursive?

It can take a lot of time and practice to get fluent in writing/reading cursive.  Can you keep cursive as a fun, sort of short, side thing while they get more fluent?

And no, I don't think it is a hill worth dying over.  It can be a helpful skill.  How is their print writing?

One Step at a Time, their printing is nice when they TRY. Unfortunately, it is not a priority for them.  In addition, I have health issues that keep me from directly supervising their work much of the time, so neatness drops to the bottom of the priority pile too often.  I think they hate it because it is difficult, but also because they know the public school kids do not have to use it and I am not, as a result, requiring their older sisters to use it, though they DID have to learn it.

• Like 1

Hmmm...I think I see what you are dealing with.

Do you have a program they can follow?  Like use Start Write Software with the New American Cursive font?  There are practice books, too, from Memoria Press.  That would take the pressure off of you.  You can type out passages from other subjects in that font, with a way for them to trace the letters then copy the passage again freehand.  Then they themselves go back and circle the letters that most closely match the original passage.  They critique their own work.  Just have them do one passage a day.  Keep the cursive separate from their other class stuff until it is fluid and more automatic.

Or if it really is becoming a huge issue in your household, then drop cursive.  Not worth damaging your relationship with your kids, especially if you have ongoing health issues and cannot really supervise it.

But neat printing is more of an issue.  People even in today's day and age are frequently judged on their handwriting.  If they can't even print neatly, that I would make a priority and a necessity, if it were me.  The more they practice, the stronger the muscle memory and muscle tone, as well as the brain hand connections.  It won't be so hard after a while.  It will just be.  

Again, if you got the Start Write software, you could type up passages from other areas, or from topics they have an interest in and they could trace then copy those.  Have them circle the letters that most closely resemble the original passage and decide for themselves what specifically they did right.  Focus on what they are doing well.  Keep it positive.  Lots of praise.  Not criticism after the fact.  Have them break it down, carefully analyze each letter so they become more aware of what actually looks neat and what doesn't.  Start with A and work through the alphabet.  If consistent, systematic review and personal critiques of their handwriting are done daily for a few weeks, even just 30 minutes a day, it might help significantly.  After that it would just be practice through daily use in content subjects.  Final submission of work must be neatly written.  Anything not neatly written they need to go back and analyze to find out why it didn't come out neatly.  Not you.  Them.  In a positive way.  

If they really aren't on board, and you have not emphasized this in the past with any consistency, then maybe let them read a couple of articles on the benefits of legible handwriting?  If they had outside sources that indicated how helpful this skill is, it might help.  You need them in your court to make this a smoother process.  

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm not sure any of my suggestions will be of benefit.  I do wish you the best in whatever path you choose.  Best wishes.

• Like 1

I think its much easier to learn cursive earlier than later.  I can understand why so many kids struggle with it once they're used to printing everything.  

For me, not teaching my kids cursive isn't an option.  I want them to have this particular skill, to be able to both read and write in cursive.  Of course I hope they have nice handwriting, but even if they end up being sloppy writers or preferring to print I still want them to have acquired the skill of writing in cursive.

• Like 1

I think its much easier to learn cursive earlier than later.  I can understand why so many kids struggle with it once they're used to printing everything.  

For me, not teaching my kids cursive isn't an option.  I want them to have this particular skill, to be able to both read and write in cursive.  Of course I hope they have nice handwriting, but even if they end up being sloppy writers or preferring to print I still want them to have acquired the skill of writing in cursive.

:iagree:

It's important to me that my kids know cursive.  That being said, we don't start cursive until 4th grade.  My oldest was eager to learn "fancy writing" and she's loved every minute.  My middle kiddo starts next year and seems to be happy to learn as well.  My youngest may be an entirely different story...

Since their printing still needs work, I'd start there.  Set a timer, so they know when they are done and have them do copywork.  I love copywork, but never seemed to get my part in it done (preparing passages), then we started having the kids pull a passage from a book they were reading and that worked so much better for all of us.  The kids really enjoy it and it takes the pressure off of me to make sure I have pages prepared.  For the first few days, take a couple minutes to watch to make sure they form the letters correctly.  Once you are sure they consistently do this, you don't need to be there to oversee copywork.  Let them know that their copywork has to be their absolute best work.  Once neatness becomes habit, it will transfer over into all their writing.  From there you can reevaluate the need for cursive.