Menu

Writing curriculum for my 7th grade daughter--input please?

Background: We went through WWE1-4 and then tried WWS1 in 6th grade and it wasn't a good fit. We switched over to do Writing Strands 3 and 4, and she was working with a writing tutor because life was crazy here with new twins. Then they kind of felt ready for something else so she spent a few months at the end of 6th grade writing a several chapter short story. This year (7th grade) she has spent most of the year composing a fantasy fan fiction story about My Little Pony characters, still working with her tutor. Her tutor was diagnosed with cancer in January so they have only met a couple of times since then.  My daughter is feeling like she would prefer to get back into "assignments" and working on things other than just creative writing, and I'm trying to figure out what would work. Our homeschool schedule has stabilized quite a bit this year and so I think I can work with her more at home, but something that can be done fairly independently would be a bonus. Maybe something she could work on daily and we would meet together 2x/week. 

Things I have considered:

-Picking up Writing Strands again

-Trying again at WWS1 but not trying to use the whole thing, picking parts out that would work. I've been reading threads today about people picking and choosing from WWS1 and WWS2 and that working well for them. What killed us was the dryness of the outlining and stuff in the first few chapters of WWS1, and the very technical/uncommon terms used. I literally have not looked at it in 18 months, so maybe another visit would show me more of the rhyme/reason behind it. 

-IEW materials. I've never used any of these but they look pretty solid. I'm a bit hesitant to jump into something new. They look really teacher intensive, are they?

-BraveWriter either Faltering Ownership or Help for High School. I am not sure if we are quite ready for the latter or if it is what we need, but I like BW.

-Essentials in Writing. I'm using Level 3 with my 4th grader and it's a good fit for him (a reluctant writer), but it seems a little basic for this daughter who is not so reluctant a writer. 

-Killgallon Paragraphs for Middle School. I already own this and it looks like it could be good to use through the end of the year while I figure out what to do for 8th grade. 

We are using Easy Grammar Plus for grammar. 

Thanks so much for any insight. 

As for IEW, you could use the DVD's with Mr.  Pudewa teaching.  That would save you time since you wouldn't need to teach it.  You would need to help your child with editing, making sure she included everything from the checklists, and reviewing the final draft.  These could be your twice per week meetings. 

The issue with IEW is that it takes a while to get up to speed with how the program works.  That aspect may not fit into your schedule.

• Like 3

My vote is to do the Killgallon paragraphs book to get you through to the end of the year, as you mentioned. Then, you might consider WWS again, possibly at half speed? I understand about the tediousness of it. We, too, started it in 6th and had to put it aside for now. I went to the Killgallon book 4 times a week, and Creative Writer 1 on Fridays (he likes to write creatively, too). I do plan to get back to WWS, because I think it will be great for my ds; however, we will go at a relaxed pace when we resume.

• Like 1

I don't think you mentioned Essentials in Writing which is our favorite writing program lately. It's dvd based and allows the student to be pretty independent. Also, if she enjoys creative writing but wants it to be more assignment based, Connect the Thoughts has great creative writing programs.

• Like 1

We have really enjoy the IEW themed books after using WWE and some of WWS. I've never felt the need to buy the whole DVD package (but I don't care for any program that requires screen time). My kids can work through their assignments fairly independently. I usually work with them on the first day of the lesson to go over the new concepts and what will be expected. I then sit down with them again during the first and sometimes final edit stage. My DS in 6th grade needs a bit more hand holding than my DD in 4th grade who is a much more independent learner across the board. I let them pick whichever theme they want to do each year so they feel like that they have a say in it and I don't really care if it lines up with the history or whatever. They have both chosen to do the Narnia theme next year and I'm excited to check that one out.

• Like 1

We like EIW.  My, in no way reluctant writer dd, just finished the 6th grade level and we'll use it for 7th.   You said that it maybe seems basic for a non-reluctant writer.   I don't completely disagree, but that sentiment is exactly why I like it.   I feel that EIW covers the basics, in a more hands-off way for me.   Then we can add other writing, when we feel like it.   It feels like we are always doing other writing across the curriculum, and just need some instruction on basics.

That's my POV anyway :) !

• Like 1

We are liking Jump In more or less--I have Writing With Skill on hand, but my DS2 isn't ready for it, so I think we'll do that in 7th/8th grades, 2016-17 (easier to keep the boys together when i can)

We will finish Jump-In for DS1's 7th grade year, and I just re-found a couple of vintage books recommended here that I really like--we will finish up this one, Progressive Composition Grade 5:

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=w6ACAAAAYAAJ&rdid=book-w6ACAAAAYAAJ&rdot=1

and go into Maxwell's School Composition in the fall too--

https://books.google.com.jm/books?id=E_8AAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=maxwell+school+composition&hl=en&sa=X&ei=g8E6VZyIIYPksATFnYGYDg&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=maxwell%20school%20composition&f=false

B

I have been using IEW theme writing with both of my girls last year and this year.  I watched most of TWSS on my own and walked them through last year. This year, they've become mostly independent.  I go over the assignment with them and check each stage (which doesn't take long).  I plan to keep using IEW theme through the next two years, so it'll take ODD up to high school years.  Then I will likely do WWS 1&2 with YDD for 7th and 8th.