Menu

What is the graduation rate of your local public high school?

87%, with 52% graduating "college ready." College ready is defined by achieving a 75 or higher on the English Regents and 80 or higher on a math Regents exam. 

ETA: of the 470 graduates last year, 230 earned a Regents advanced diploma, 213 a standard Regents, and 27 a local diploma.

Our high school graduation rate is 91% and of those, 78% go on to some sort of post secondary education.  This includes all colleges, trade schools, and the military.

Supposedly 42% who went on to college needed remediation classes in math and/or reading before being ready for college level work.

I know for the district it is 64.9% for the two high schools in 2014, on time. This is a major improvement from just over 2-3 years ago when it was slightly above 50%.

I just looked up the specific numbers and am surprised. Our zoned school, which is the worst as far as social environment (fights, gangs, etc.), actually has a higher grad rate than the other school with more classes and opportunities 68.5% vs 67.2%. There were other stats that surprised me, but I'll spare you the details.

Graduation rate of 74%

Drop out rate of 5.4% 

However, "graduation" is a loose term here.  They consider anyone who has passed the minimums to have "graduated" even though the bare minimums don't actually net you a High School Diploma, only a completion certificate.

ETA:  By 8th grade nearly 50% of the student population in 2012 was considered to have a reading and/or maths disability.  50%?!!!  That doesn't mean they have a disability, that means the school system is failing a whole lot of kids, to my mind.

No she doesn't.

38% graduation at the high school we're zoned for. That's no typo.

There is a district not far from me with an 18% graduation rate! 

My local district doesn't even offer AP classes.

We've never, ever had a National Merit Scholar (I first leaned that term on this board).

There is one track for everyone, and it is most definitely not rigorous.

~40% of the kids pass the standardized testing.

There is a district not far from me with an 18% graduation rate! 

My local district doesn't even offer AP classes.

We've never, ever had a National Merit Scholar (I first leaned that term on this board).

There is one track for everyone, and it is most definitely not rigorous.

~40% of the kids pass the standardized testing.

Okay, that's even more shocking.

92% graduation rate

We are ranked as one of the best high schools in the nation by USN&WR.

39% of students have taken at least 1 AP test with a 63% passing rate.

We have only ever had one National Merit Finalist. It was a really big deal at the time.

We do offer 16 AP classes and 5 levels of Latin (though not AP Latin??).

89% at our local HS, with Math/Reading proficiency at 79%/92%. Districtwide, graduation is 80%, M/R proficiency is 72%/90%.

In our previous state, the local HS graduation rate was 75%. Graduation for the district as a whole (27K students) was only 63%, with Math/Reading proficiency listed as 31%/41%.  :sad:

And this school still has its state accreditation??

I assume so.

I was scrolling through the Dept. of Ed. data looking for my district and found the stats for the other district.  I don't know anything else about the school, except that it's in an awful neighborhood south of me.

No she doesn't.

38% graduation at the high school we're zoned for. That's no typo.

One of the charter schools (one my dd attended for 7th) has a grad rate of 37.1%.

But, I wonder if it's taken into account student transfers. I know a few families personally that transferred to a different school after one year attending there (we're one of them). If the student no longer attends there, then they didn't graduate there.

So, does it only look like the school isn't graduating its students? Or, are they really not graduating over 60% of its students?

One of the charter schools (one my dd attended for 7th) has a grad rate of 37.1%.

But, I wonder if it's taken into account student transfers. I know a few families personally that transferred to a different school after one year attending there (we're one of them). If the student no longer attends there, then they didn't graduate there.

So, does it only look like the school isn't graduating its students? Or, are they really not graduating over 60% of its students?

I would think that wouldn't include transfers.  Because I know people are moving in and out of our district, and I know a few who were pulled to homeschool, or went to the tech school partway through - and our rate is still 99%, and for the Asian population it's 100% - surely it's not true that year after year not a single Asian kid moved out of town during high school...

• Like 1

97.9% 4 year graduation rate but a 0% drop-out rate.  Evidently the 2.1% take more than 4 years but do graduate.  They've appeared in a few rankings in Newsweek, US News and World Report, NJ Monthly, etc.

It's a school with about 750 students, 124 with disabilities, 5 economically disadvantaged, 2 language disadvantaged.  It is a magnet high school for deaf students.

Average composite SAT score 1728, 18 AP classes.

Outperforms 94% of schools in the state, 84% of schools with similar demographics.

It's why we plan to give our kids the option of going to high school.  We know that this school works with students from out of district and previously homeschooled to place them properly.

I don't know how they handle transfers. Certainly a number of those kids move on. I do know that's only the "on time" graduation and that it rises a decent amount for kids who manage to graduate within 5 or 6 years, though it's still not great, obviously and I don't know the exact numbers on that. I suspect that, knowing this school, that they are genuinely not graduating that many kids. Citywide graduation rate is something like 64%. If we were to send my kids to school for high school (not the plan, but if) then we would apply to one of a few charters.

Statistics can be played with. The town my boys lived in during their high school years had a fairly high graduation rate, but the school went to great lengths to cover up what they were doing. Not a single one of my younger son's friends graduated. Not a single one.