Menu

Has anyone used Gemiini Systems? (Nonverbal kids)

.Michelle.

I just signed up a couple weeks ago, and we have been easing into it. My son has suddenly started attempting to say his sister's name (Lilly) after watching the names video I made for him. He also spontaneously tried to say, "slow" when he wanted me to push him on the swing, even though that wasn't in any of his videos. I think watching the close-ups without distractions has him willing to attempt to copy in a way he never has before.

Even if he never speaks, though, we are seeing dramatic improvement in his understanding of prepositions, which is fantastic. He has worked on those in traditional speech therapy and in worksheet type activities for years with no success. For whatever reason, he liked that video in the Quick Start series, and after viewing it about 10 times, went from 12% correct on an ABA-style trial to 88% correct. It took us a bit to figure out how to get him to attend to the videos. Given that we have battled him for years to AVOID videos and devices while he eats, there was no way I was going to follow the advice to do it at mealtime! Instead, we break out the Play-Doh and he works with it while watching.

It is expensive, but I'm hopeful as we continue. My plan is to give it six months before reevaluating.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It is expensive and we got wierded out by it for some reason. 

My son got really really bored! 

We have found better results with Chalk Online Preschool which has a free 2 months trial. So after that you can cancel. 

https://www.chalkpreschoolonline.com/

Some videos repeat  but there are variations.

All of it just feels more natural than Gemini.

Maybe some kids really need Gemini but my kids were really bored.  

Edited by happycc

• 1 year later...

My kid is verbal but needed articulation support. Helped some with that and formation of words. Definitely got good results on speech evaluation later on after having used it for a few months. But eventually got bored with it. Recommend it if it helps. But don’t force it if it doesn’t work well or get burned out by it. It is intense but it seems to work to build fluency in verbal and build language in non-verbal. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We are using it right now (free month trial) with our newly adopted daughter from China (home 4 months). She is 6 and has Down syndrome. She is verbal but really needs speech therapy. She really enjoys the videos so far and has picked up quite a few signs and words already. I think it will be especially good for her receptive speech in learning a new language but she will probably still need intensive speech therapy in person for her expressive language.

But it is a good basis for her homeschooling for now.

• Like 1