Menu

4 year old diagnosed with Mild Retardation

Guest OmegaBlaac

Guest OmegaBlaac

Hello everyone

Yesterday my son was diagnosed as being mildly retarded his iq score is 61 he currently can only say a few words but doesn't put anything together coherently...I'm saddened by this but I'm not shocked he's had delays since he was a newborn...I want to learn how I can help my son to be the best that he can be I really don't know where to start. I have a few books about teaching independence for special needs. I would really like to get him to at least be able to communicate to where he can let us know when he needs or if anything is wrong.

Thank you for this wonderful community and thanks in advance to any who can share anything they feel helpful. Take care.

If you have not done so already, research using pictures to communicate.  The child has a series of images to choose from in order to communiate common needs.  You can also use pictures to identify items in your house to help the child learn to identify more things.  Sorry I can't be of more help. 

Some examples:

https://www.google.com/search?q=special+needs+non+verbal+communication+tools&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=YdYnVZfFN4G2sAXMzICIDw&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1400&bih=961

• Like 5

I agree with  making a communication book with pictures/photos.  It helped get my child with mild ID through a difficult time when she couldn't really communicate properly (ages 2-5).   We cut out pictures of common food she ate, pictures of places she was used to going (like the library) etc., glued them onto cardstock, punched a hole and put them on a large ring.  Then, I just hung the book in a place she could easily get to.  It was a lifesaver.

Take a look into speech therapy-- but maybe look for a speech therapist who works on social language (social thinking).  If we had known about that years ago, my daughter would be in a much better place today.  She is only starting now with a social group that focuses on social language (the give and take of conversation).  It has been wonderful for her.

Check this out for games:  http://www.superduperinc.com/search/topicSearch.aspx?id=29&nfp_topic=Language

Look at this for social thinking: https://www.socialthinking.com/books-products/products-by-age-range/preschool

Good luck!

Laura

• Like 1

I would work on getting him as much speech therapy as possible right now.  That is one thing I regret with our daughter with a similar IQ.  I didn't push as hard as I

should have for lots of speech therapy.  We did use the schools for 1 year for a special ed preschool and she LOVED it and it was a good program.  Honestly, I wish I would have done more with that back then.

We did homeschool and that was great for her academically but it can be very hard to get speech therapy for kids outside of the school system so you might have to pay out of pocket or bring him to the schools for therapy if you decide to homeschool.

• Like 2