Menu

Accent Trouble

My son is bilingual and is more self emotional about his English accent because kids in the area tease him or say he talks weird. My son has good English--he can correct our English and he does it all the time, very sassy like.

My son has a 'kid accent' in both languages no matter what. But our accent + kid accent is not helping him with his English peers. Are there any clever helps we can try for him?

We will be traveling a lot this summer and English will be lost while we are East, so should we wait to address accent trouble until we come back to the states?

My daughter who speaks American English as her first language had an "English accent" when she was little because of some speech issues (trouble with s and r).  She got teased.  Are you sure your "kid accent" isn't a speech issue?  Depending on his age and the sounds, he might just grow into any missing sounds or he might need some speech therapy at some point.