Menu

Are these "old lady" shoes?

fairfarmhand

Remember my hunt for sandals?  I really like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarks-WENDY-RIVER-Womens-Tan-69519-Leather-Ankle-Strap-Heel-Sandal-Shoes-/201300551332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2ede72a6a4

But my daughter insists that they look like something an old lady would wear. I think they are cute.

(she is 17...so anyone older than 25 is old to her.)

What says the hive?

(Of course, I plan on wearing what I like, but I don't want to look like a Granny yet at the ripe old age of 35)

• Like 1

I think they're cute and I love Clarks.

I'd style them with capris or a snazzy skirt because they could look a little frumpy if the rest of your outfit is, but with something breezy, coupled with light and fun accessories? Perfect.

I think they're cute and I love Clarks.

I'd style them with capris or a snazzy skirt because they could look a little frumpy if the rest of your outfit is, but with something breezy, coupled with light and fun accessories? Perfect.

right. No denim jumpers or skirts with these shoes.

• Like 1

right. No denim jumpers or skirts with these shoes.

Exactly. I'm 28 and would wear those in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't wear them with a calf or ankle length calico skirt and a solid colored top, either. Always be aware of the 'uniform' ;)

Exactly. I'm 28 and would wear those in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't wear them with a calf or ankle length calico skirt and a solid colored top, either. Always be aware of the 'uniform' ;)

See I was picturing them with an above the knee skirt, capris, or flare-legged jeans.

Kind of a flower child vibe to me.

• Like 1

See I was picturing them with an above the knee skirt, capris, or flare-legged jeans.

Kind of a flower child vibe to me.

Go for it. I actually think the thing that makes 'old lady' the fastest is a lack of accessories. The right scarf or chunky necklace can transform an outfit instantly. To tie those shoes in I'd be doing a leather cuff or more detailed belt, and potentially a handbag that pulls out the colors and material, too.

Go for it. I actually think the thing that makes 'old lady' the fastest is a lack of accessories. The right scarf or chunky necklace can transform an outfit instantly. To tie those shoes in I'd be doing a leather cuff or more detailed belt, and potentially a handbag that pulls out the colors and material, too.

Uhoh, I'm anti-accessory.  Am I on the fast-track to old-lady? lol

• Like 6

Ohh I thought you meant for her at first. Look too "old lady" for a teen to me. I would have to see them with an outfit but on their own I agree with a pp about the heel.

No, she wears flip flops all summer. This is for me. I will probably go ahead and get them. My dd is notorious for dissing my clothing/shoe choices and them being surprised at how well it all goes together when I put things together.

We were at Goodwill one time and she said, " This blouse is RIDICULOUS!" and I said, "I love it!" and bought it. She was horrified. Then when I got it home and put it together with the whole outfit she was shocked that it looked great. In fact, she borrowed it from me 2 weeks ago for a 4H activity.  It was solid blue button up with sort of a ruffly thing on the front that she thought looked weird on the hanger.

• Like 7

No, she wears flip flops all summer. This is for me. I will probably go ahead and get them. My dd is notorious for dissing my clothing/shoe choices and them being surprised at how well it all goes together when I put things together.

We were at Goodwill one time and she said, " This blouse is RIDICULOUS!" and I said, "I love it!" and bought it. She was horrified. Then when I got it home and put it together with the whole outfit she was shocked that it looked great. In fact, she borrowed it from me 2 weeks ago for a 4H activity.  It was solid blue button up with sort of a ruffly thing on the front that she thought looked weird on the hanger.

:lol:

And that's why, while it's okay to take fashion advice from the younger set, don't necessarily just rely on them 100%. 

• Like 3

You sound like my 67 yo mother. ;)

I don't think they have an old lady vibe about them. But, then, I'm 44 and as far as I can tell, young and hip means inexplicable things like platform wedges and open-toed boots so I may be confused.

(Count me in as wouldn't be caught dead accessorized)

• Like 4

I think what I can do that she can't is that I see a piece of clothing or shoes and I can picture the whole outfit. I think it's partially because I sew. I can look at a piece of fabric and envision the possibilities. My dd tends to see the item right in front of her and that's it.

They're not Sas. You're fine! Wear in good health. :)

This just brought me to tears. My sweet grandmother, who has since gone to be with the Lord, was born with severe club foot (in Appalachia. During the Depression.), and had about twelve pairs of Sas that she wore throughout her last decades. She was so grateful for them because they were the only shoes she could tolerate with her calcified, fused ankles and toes. My aunt and her daughter also inherited the trait but not as severely, however I know they are so grateful for such shoes existing and the custom fit they can achieve.

So yes, super awesome to not need Sas shoes. I'm immensely grateful for both modern surgery and comfortable options that weren't around in previous generations.

Nothing offensive about this post - but I miss her AND her old lady shoes :(

This just brought me to tears. My sweet grandmother, who has since gone to be with the Lord, was born with severe club foot (in Appalachia. During the Depression.), and had about twelve pairs of Sas that she wore throughout her last decades. She was so grateful for them because they we're the only shoes she could tolerate with her calcified, fused ankles and toes. My aunt and her daughter also inherited the trait but not as severely, however I know they are so grateful for such shoes existing and the custom fit they can achieve.

So yes, super awesome to not need Sas shoes. I'm immensely grateful for both modern surgery and comfortable options that weren't arohnd in previous generations.

awwww..

Remember my hunt for sandals?  I really like these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clarks-WENDY-RIVER-Womens-Tan-69519-Leather-Ankle-Strap-Heel-Sandal-Shoes-/201300551332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2ede72a6a4

But my daughter insists that they look like something an old lady would wear. I think they are cute.

(she is 17...so anyone older than 25 is old to her.)

What says the hive?

(Of course, I plan on wearing what I like, but I don't want to look like a Granny yet at the ripe old age of 35)

Well, I am older than any participant so far and I would say that nobody is going to see your shoes and say that you are an old lady anymore than they are going to see them and say that you are hip. They look "sensible" and comfortable and I would agree that half the battle is what you wear them with. Good sandals that offer some support, that stay on your feet, and that are stylish can be very hard to find.

But then I am the woman that recently went looking for a pair of Mephistos to take on a trip and was told by the store that usually carries them, that they had stopped buying them because the styling wasn't hip. Thankfully, they make a lot more styles of really good for you shoes than they did even a few years ago.

• Like 2

I clicked this thread because it made me chuckle that "Are these old lady shoes" got a HOT label. 

To answer you, yes, total old lady shoes. 

But that's Olsen Twins chic, right? They wear old lady stuff all the time.

• Like 5

So, all of you who say that they are old-lady-ish ... what would you wear that is supportive for walking all day?  Does it have to be either flimsy or have a high heel to be stylish? 

ETA:  I am a reasonably fit 51 year old (hey, I rock climb with people 25 years younger than me) with the knee and ankle joints of someone much older.  If I am not wearing my Brooks Adrenalins with the uber pronation control, I can't walk more than a half-mile without pain. 

• Like 4

So, all of you who say that they are old-lady-ish ... what would you wear that is supportive for walking all day?  Does it have to be either flimsy or have a high heel to be stylish? 

I am curious too. I spent hours looking for shoes to wear for a week in San Francisco. Open-toed was not an option for several of the areas and I didn't want to wear tennis shoes. If you have ever had any foot issues, you know how important good shoes are.

• Like 1

This has merit.  I also could get behind this one.  These are cheaper, but I don't have any personal experience with the shoes.  The footbed is made of yoga mats, though--how bad could they be??

I am curious too. I spent hours looking for shoes to wear for a week in San Francisco. Open-toed was not an option for several of the areas and I didn't want to wear tennis shoes. If you have ever had any foot issues, you know how important good shoes are.

I go by the cut. The vamp height matters - low vamp shoes look younger than high vamp. The heel material matters - cork looks younger and fresher than stacked wood in many instances. The symmetry matters - asymmetrical shoe cuts, with interest in the ankle or vamp, are more youthful. Color matters - brighter and more bold looks younger.

I think almost any show can be styled to look good, but some are more inherently on trend or stylish.

This has merit.  I also could get behind this one.  These are cheaper, but I don't have any personal experience with the shoes.  The footbed is made of yoga mats, though--how bad could they be??

I don't think the first two are very flattering.  I think they would make my feet look like boats.  The last one is not only not supportive (looks pretty flimsy), but it breaks the "no strap between the toes" rule. 

• Like 3

This just brought me to tears. My sweet grandmother, who has since gone to be with the Lord, was born with severe club foot (in Appalachia. During the Depression.), and had about twelve pairs of Sas that she wore throughout her last decades. She was so grateful for them because they were the only shoes she could tolerate with her calcified, fused ankles and toes. My aunt and her daughter also inherited the trait but not as severely, however I know they are so grateful for such shoes existing and the custom fit they can achieve.

So yes, super awesome to not need Sas shoes. I'm immensely grateful for both modern surgery and comfortable options that weren't around in previous generations.

My granny wore Sas too. I miss her every day! But I donated her shoes even though we were the same size. ;)

• Like 1

I don't think the first two are very flattering.  I think they would make my feet look like boats.  The last one is not only not supportive (looks pretty flimsy), but it breaks the "no strap between the toes" rule. 

Ellen, what about something like these? Or is a heel problematic? Aetrex has made orthotics for years and is now doing shoes. I have been fairly pleased with the quality and the comfort.

Also, I saw your note on your Brooks shoes. Be sure you replace them before they get too broken down. I have had super-built up shoes for years due to pronation and plantar faciatis. I recently noticed one foot was rolling out when I was hiking on uneven ground. Apparently, with wear the shoe's cushioning breaks down, but the part in your arch stays rigid. 

• Like 1

I have a tan pair and a black pair that looks like that by Dansko.  They are very comfy and when I wear them, I get a lot of compliments on them.  I am your age so if that makes me an old lady...........

ETA- I am not walking in these daily.  These are for when I have to dress up.  I prefer my sandals (keens or fitflops) or sneakers for daily wear.