Menu

Classic Children's Literature by Age Book List?

This is a link to my blog post where I share the book list that I've compiled for my own kids.  Classics and contemporary, literature, living books, a couple of textbooks, etc.  I ordered them by AR level as best I could.  Basically, I just merged a bunch of book lists that I had found over the years.  

May or may not be what you are looking for.  Good luck!

• Like 2

What I'm really looking for is a list of...I'm not sure what to call them...novels/short novels...chapter books with no picture books or reader type books thrown in. I realize some readers cross over into the short novel/chapter book realm, but the books do not need to be simple in prose, just appropriate content-wise for DD's age. I don't want to accidentally provide her with a book that gets into adolescent love or provides a little too much birds and bees or descriptive childbirth or is a little too morbid or has a lot of drinking/smoking, etc. I realize there are many references to smoking/drinking in classic literature, but I don't want DD listening to a story about a child's struggle with having an alcoholic parent  (i.e. Because of Winn-Dixie...glad I read this one out loud).

I need a list I can run my finger down, check off the ones she's already listened to. DD can listen to a book a day when I keep up. She's fine with listening to many over and over, but I need to do a better job of providing new material. Sorting our library's digital database isn't effective enough.

I use these lists frequently, but they aren't speedy enough.

http://www.whatdowedoallday.com/books

To piggyback on the original post - I would especially love a list organized by "audience age" or "interest age" rather than reading level, if that makes any sense. For example, Winnie-the-Pooh is an AR level 5.9, but often enjoyed by preschoolers and kindergarteners as a read aloud. I'd prefer a list that categorized it for preschool/kindergarten over one that categorized it as for fifth graders. It would help in choosing read alouds or audiobooks!

• Like 2

Yes, this is what I want too!

To piggyback on the original post - I would especially love a list organized by "audience age" or "interest age" rather than reading level, if that makes any sense. For example, Winnie-the-Pooh is an AR level 5.9, but often enjoyed by preschoolers and kindergarteners as a read aloud. I'd prefer a list that categorized it for preschool/kindergarten over one that categorized it as for fifth graders. It would help in choosing read alouds or audiobooks!

I have Jim Trelease's The Read-Aloud Handbook, which has lists for short novels and full-length novels. The books at tagged with appropriate ages, but again, the books are all mixed together and it's not effective as a quick list. Plus, the lists are too short. Maybe I need to get my highlighters out...

What I'm really looking for is a list of...I'm not sure what to call them...novels/short novels...chapter books with no picture books or reader type books thrown in. I realize some readers cross over into the short novel/chapter book realm, but the books do not need to be simple in prose, just appropriate content-wise for DD's age. I don't want to accidentally provide her with a book that gets into adolescent love or provides a little too much birds and bees or descriptive childbirth or is a little too morbid or has a lot of drinking/smoking, etc. I realize there are many references to smoking/drinking in classic literature, but I don't want DD listening to a story about a child's struggle with having an alcoholic parent  (i.e. Because of Winn-Dixie...glad I read this one out loud).

I need a list I can run my finger down, check off the ones she's already listened to. DD can listen to a book a day when I keep up. She's fine with listening to many over and over, but I need to do a better job of providing new material. Sorting our library's digital database isn't effective enough.

I use these lists frequently, but they aren't speedy enough.

http://www.whatdowedoallday.com/books

A book with chapters is a novel. You're wanting well-written juvenile novels. The 1000 Good Books List includes juvenile novels. Pretty much anything above about second-grade level will be a novel, and AFAIK, all of them fit your criteria.

• Like 1

Ahh, I understand.  For myself, I also sorted my book list by the age-level at which I thought each would be appropriate.  I didn't share that part because I know that with each parent it would be different.  

I agree that the 1000 Good Books list is good.

• Like 1

In case it's helpful I have a lot of book lists on my site:

http://wellreadkid.com

I've add age recommendations for the Newberry Medal Winners and Caldecott Medal Winners, and some of the others. Here are the Newberry winners:

http://www.wellreadkid.com/newbery-medal-winners/

I would also look at the read aloud choices from Sonlight and Ambleside Online by grade level.

• Like 2

In case it's helpful I have a lot of book lists on my site:

http://wellreadkid.com

I've add age recommendations for the Newberry Medal Winners and Caldecott Medal Winners, and some of the others. Here are the Newberry winners:

http://www.wellreadkid.com/newbery-medal-winners/

I would also look at the read aloud choices from Sonlight and Ambleside Online by grade level.

I love your site! Thanks for sharing!