Menu

AoPS online books - how long do you have access?

• 2 months later...

Ok, I think I found the answer, but strangely enough I had to actually begin the Checkout process in order to finally see this! I'm extremely surprised I couldn't find this info earlier in the process (like on the online book info page). Maybe it is there and I just missed it, but if not, hiding it in the Terms and Conditions when purchasing seems a bit underhanded to me. *sigh*

Term; Renewal. AoPS shall provide User with access to the eBook for a term of one (1) year ("Term"), with automatic renewal of additional one (1) year Terms, until terminated by User and/or AoPS as set forth herein. User shall not have access to the eBook or Content upon expiration or termination of this Agreement.

• Like 1

Wow! $60 just to view the texts and solutions for a year?!! That seems ridiculously steep to me since once it is digitized it takes nothing for them to open the information to as many people as they want!

I also agree with you about the terms of renewal. They shoukd say it right up front.

• Like 1

Wow. I thought they had started offering regular ebooks that you owned. I usually want ebooks so that we can travel w/o lugging a text. But if you can't dowload it, the format is useless for traveling. Can you print from the viewable text?

• Like 1

It says the license renews annually, not that you have to pay each year.

If that is all it says, I would interpret it as "you can use it until we change the terms or go out of business."

If course it would be better if they were more clear. Is there no detail in their FAQs?

• Like 2

It says the license renews annually, not that you have to pay each year.

If course it would be better if they were more clear. Is there no detail in their FAQs?

Stanford gifted and talented (EPGY) does charge on automatically renewing. Usually any license that has a renewal would have a charge. Those that don't would say it is a one time (payment) only license.

No details about the terms for AoPS online books in AoPS FAQs.

Needing Internet access for the online books was a deal killer for us anyway.

• Like 2

it would have to be a lot cheaper than the hard copy (and it isn't) for that to work for me.

eta. I have a Pearson NZ etext under a year rental agreement which I don't mind. I only use it for reference and it is $7.25 versus around $30.

I have found it interesting that they have not chosen to digitize and embed the videos at the various sections of certain books. Basically create an iBook/ebook. It seems if they went to all the trouble, but then have a product that lacks many desirable features. MI know relatively nothing of creating an ebook, so maybe the devil is in the details. Whatever the reason why, it is a bummer. We really like digital texts and would most certainly have purchased it had the circumstances been different.

FWIW, many of the big publisher ebooks have a 180-day license.  My dd's school bookstore warns not to open such books during the summer lest the student run out of time before the end of the school year.

I don't think AoPS had much choice as the books are too valuable to sell as PDFs - too much risk that the book would get copied.

EOO, I was under the impression that the videos were going to be embedded; bummer.

I don't think AoPS had much choice as the books are too valuable to sell as PDFs - too much risk that the book would get copied.

The irony is that in the interest of security they created a product that no one will buy. FWIW, Adobe has PDF security encryption built in that can curb casually sharing. Hardcore theft cannot be stopped, but that is true of most products.

• 4 weeks later...

The videos are imbedded in the sample, along with a link to the alcumus topic for that section, which I was really excited about.

I just went through the check out and realized that you have to link the book to a particular username, so it's limited to one student if you wish to keep track of alcumus.  I'm glad I realized this before I purchased.

The irony is that in the interest of security they created a product that no one will buy. FWIW, Adobe has PDF security encryption built in that can curb casually sharing. Hardcore theft cannot be stopped, but that is true of most products.

Ya, but your market is people buying advanced math and computer programming books - probably safe to say they might find away around encryption.