Menu

What new game do we want?

Farrar

Okay, we like board games. What new game do I want to get (and stick between the Easter baskets)?

Ideal game... something that doesn't take much longer than 30 minutes to play. Something that's strategy driven and complex enough to be enjoyed by kids (10 yos) and me. Cooperative is fine, but so is competitive. Something that plays well with two players and plays well with three or four - definitely not something that needs a crowd to be really fun.

Other stuff we like and have in this sort of category (though a few of these aren't good for two players, which is a big drawback for them) - we also have and love a lot of "party" type games like Say Anything and Dix It, but I'm feeling like we have enough of those for the moment...

Splendor

Ticket to Ride

Scotland Yard

Small World

The Builders

Labyrinth

Forbidden Desert

Pandemic

Dominion

7 Wonders

The kids have played Munchkin and would like that, I know (and might really like to have one of the variations, like Adventure Time Munchkin or something). But it seemed like it's really only great in a group. I was looking at maybe Carcassone? Or maybe Agricola (though that was a really expensive game!)? Or Power Grid (same price issue)? Or Takenoko?

Board game geeks?

That's good to know for Carcassone... Yeah, 45 minutes is okay, but anything that's going to go an hour every time is out probably - It wouldn't get played enough to be in heavy rotation here. I find that the time estimate on games is often off. Sometimes too short, sometimes too long.

I have used that search before but I didn't think of it. Off to try it again...

We have some of the ones mentioned here... like Zeus on the Loose, Rat-a-tat-cat, Fluxx, Bananagrams, Set, etc. My kids have played Blokus and not been into it. Ditto Stratego, which I tried to sell them on at one point.

I don't know several of these, like Blueprint and Hanabi, but they look really promising. Thanks, everyone!

• Like 1

King of Tokyo!!! It has monsters, you can obtain cards to mess up your opponents, you get to roll a whole handful of dice, and it can be done in 30 mins unless you have my BIL playing. It has been ds' favourite game for a whole year now and we own several of the games you listed (Takenoko, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Scotland Yard, Labyrinth, Forbidden Island, Dominion, 7 Wonders, and many more...).

• Like 1

I know already mentioned...DS got this for xmas:

http://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-ZMG78505-Carcassonne-Big/dp/B00N37DSDS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427879941&sr=8-2&keywords=carcassonne

It does take a bit longer than 30 minutes, but not much longer.  He's played it a few times with his dad.  I haven't tried it yet.  Thanks for reminding me though I'll have to try it.

We have Forbidden Island (which I guess is probably like Forbidden Dessert). 

And we have the Setters of Catan Dice game.  It's quick  15-30 minutes. 

http://www.amazon.com/Catan-Dice-Game-Standard-Edition/dp/B004XHKXL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427880279&sr=8-1&keywords=settlers+of+catan+dice+game

• Like 1

Carcassone is my favorite game.  Ever.  We play it every Sunday morning over coffee.  HOWEVER, my kids (except Abbie) do not appreciate its simple beauty.  DH and I play it as a two person game.  I don't love it as a 3 person game and like it far less as a 4 person game.  

Agricola had a wicked learning curve for me.  HOWEVER, now that we have it down, I love the game.

Friends just sent us Galaxy Trucker.  We just sat down to it for the first time this week.  I like the premise.  I need to play it a few more times before the comfort level is there so I can recommend it but it is HIGHLY recommended on Boardgame Geek.

If ya'all are golfers and if you REALLY like card games, my kids are in love with Play Nine.  (Not a board game.)

I've heard good things about Puerto Rico and I think that's *my* next game.

• Like 1

King of Tokyo!!! It has monsters, you can obtain cards to mess up your opponents, you get to roll a whole handful of dice, and it can be done in 30 mins unless you have my BIL playing. It has been ds' favourite game for a whole year now and we own several of the games you listed (Takenoko, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Scotland Yard, Labyrinth, Forbidden Island, Dominion, 7 Wonders, and many more...).

YES!

Didn't think of this one.  

This is my 13yo and younger group's favorite.  Even DS (16) enjoys this game.  Good fun. :)

Gloom is a lot of fun, but is a card game, not a board game. I've got my eye on Tsuro, but haven't played it yet. It looks good for 2-8 players and seems to accommodate many different ages--I'm always looking for something I can play with all of the kids.

• Like 1

Another vote for Carcassone. I find it is not a long game (once all of the tiles have been placed, you're done), and I love that it works best as a 2-player game.  My 11-year-old and I played it every day for quite awhile. We have one of the expansion packs and even with that added it's not a long game.

• Like 1

I know you said board games, but my kids really enjoy Monopoly Deal. It is quick to play and I find it enjoyable. So much better than straight up Monopoly! :) Oh, and another vote for GUBS, although that Dangerous Alchemy card gets me every time (at least it feels that way!).