Menu

How do I research a college's record for graduates getting into graduate or professional programs

bettyandbob

Dd is now interested in PT. She is a strong math and science student who has years of ballet training and years of rec swim team, teaching swimming and adapted aquatics volunteering. So, I think this goal is a good fit. She does know it's super competitive. Based on my observation of her interactions in swim lessons and adaptive aquatics, I've also suggested considering OT and SLP programs. I know these are competitive too.

We have looked at the APTA site. I'm just wondering how to assess the quality of undergrad programs for her future applications.

If you can ask a few faculty members in some of those graduate programs, that would seem to be very informative.  You may need to describe very briefly your DDs strengths and interests and give them some specific options for comment to get the ball rolling.

Do do the research.

But remember that every students creates their own path. Dd went to a top LAC that is NOT an engineering school in any sense of the word, but with some great internships and some super-strong recommendations she ended up at a tippy-top engineering school for grad school. So college is NOT destiny!

(I'm not sure when the last time a student from this school went to an engineering school for grad school, but I have a feeling that dd's story is now a featured topic for any interested engineering pre-frosh!)

• Like 1

Another thing to consider is a program that combines undergrad and gets you started on the graduate degree. I have a friend whose daughter is in a BS/MS program for SLP.  http://www.bu.edu/academics/sar/programs/speech-language-hearing-sciences/bs-ms/

As you research colleges for PT, there may be some where you can get on track right out of high school.

--Janet