Menu

Independent Latin workbook?

Dmmetler

DD10 has done stages 1-3 in the UK Cambridge Latin Program, but discovered this year that it really wasn't good prep for the NLVE-she knew the vocabulary and what it meant, but not a lot of the labels, which is probably very much due to having a teacher who didn't know what to pull out and focus on (IE-Me!). She has no trouble diagramming sentences in Latin-that she's been able to internalize and carry over between languages, so I felt she was OK on the grammar side, until she got to the test and was handed things like "Principle part"-and had no clue where to start.

Is there a good workbook-type part-whole Latin program that she could work through to reinforce the labeling? Something cute or whimsical would be a plus, as would be something that she can do easily in a car or while waiting for lab classes, or while sitting by a lake listening for frog calls to record them. (Seriously, portable is a MAJOR part of curriculum selection this year).

• Like 1

Latin via Ovid is a college text and has a workbook with it. No DVD tutorials or tapes though, that I know of.

Minimus would be too easy, though it's fun.

I don't think First Form or Henle would be "fun."

DS didn't mind Artes Latinae, which is a CD-based program. The same company just came out with Latin for the New Millenium.

We're using Latin Alive, which has a fair bit of translation and grammar; translations are based on latin history. Is that what you're looking for?

She has done SSL 1 and 2, LfC A and B, and both Minimus books before moving to CLC, so I think LL probably would be too slow, and I want something that is easy to grab and go.

Latin is Fun book 2 looks like it might be about right. I don't know if she'd call it "fun", but it may work as a grab and go supplement for the next stages of CLC.

She has done SSL 1 and 2, LfC A and B, and both Minimus books before moving to CLC, so I think LL probably would be too slow, and I want something that is easy to grab and go.

Latin is Fun book 2 looks like it might be about right. I don't know if she'd call it "fun", but it may work as a grab and go supplement for the next stages of CLC.

You are right, of course. Sorry!