Menu

Want to watch the HBO scientology doc. but don't have HBO

PrincessMommy

Following along, because I'd love to watch it too. Have you read the book it's based on? From everything I've read, there's nothing really new to the documentary that wasn't in the book, and some of the video they show can be found on YouTube (like the David Miscaviage speaches and the Tom Cruise video).

• Like 1

A bit OT, but is anyone else dying for Katie Holmes to write a tell-all book??? I know she won't because I'm sure his legal team closed that door hard, but a girl can dream.

• Like 14

Do you have cable? We have Comcast and they run "free HBO weekends" a few times a year here. I think they have one coming up. I know Cox does the same.

no, satellite. 

I think I may read the book, but honestly...I'm lazy and I'd like to watch my gossip rather than read it :laugh:

• Like 2

Have you watched the BBC Panorama documentary from 2005, and it's follow-up from 2007? (Secrets of Scientology, and. Scientology and Me) they're both on YouTube. Also check out theLipTv on YouTube. They've done some interesting Scientology interviews and reporting.

• Like 2

I remember doing a paper on Scientology back in 1978 for a university religious studies class. It was a lot harder doing the research in the (effectively) pre-internet era, but even then the groups practices were shocking and disturbing.

I must admit feeling slight concern over the content of my paper, which I had not expected to be so critical going in, as I discovered Scientology has a principle of "fair game," which means there is "open season" on critics of the group. Very disturbing cult.

Bill

• Like 3

My mom used to live in Clearwater, Florida and the stories she heard were weird to say the least. I personally wouldn't trust any religion that makes its members wear black/navy long sleeve suits and walk anywhere in the summer down there! 😱😱

It is sad what they have done in Clearwater. Because they are a religion they are tax exempt, but they bought all this high value property on the water! So when mom lived there they kept raising her taxes to make up for the loss. NOT cool! They keep to themselves (understatement there) but the cost is high.

• Like 2

I have this tab open, it looks like its there, but I haven't had a chance to watch it, got it from google:

http://stream1.moviecpa.in/play.php?movie=4257858

What do you know about Movie CPA.   It looks free. 

FINE PRINT when signing up for the free trial:  *To enroll in the membership program, you will be required to enter into a trial membership of 5 days, during which time your credit card will not be charged. If you decide to continue, do nothing, and your credit card will be charged the monthly payment of $49.95 on day 6 of your enrollment. To discontinue your membership, call 1-855-202-5588 any time 24 hours a day to cancel. Unless you call to cancel, you will be charged a membership fee of $49.95 per month every month."

So if you do it, make sure you call and cancel by the end of Day 5!

• Like 3

FINE PRINT when signing up for the free trial:  *To enroll in the membership program, you will be required to enter into a trial membership of 5 days, during which time your credit card will not be charged. If you decide to continue, do nothing, and your credit card will be charged the monthly payment of $49.95 on day 6 of your enrollment. To discontinue your membership, call 1-855-202-5588 any time 24 hours a day to cancel. Unless you call to cancel, you will be charged a membership fee of $49.95 per month every month."

So if you do it, make sure you call and cancel by the end of Day 5!

thanks..I didn't see that.   $50 is a lot!! 

Thanks for this thread! I've always had an interest in Scientology. My library has the book Going Clear and I'll be picking it up today.

I agree it would be interesting if Katie Holmes wrote a tell-all but it's doubtful it could happen.

I'm really curious what attracts people to Scientology.

Elise in NC

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread! I've always had an interest in Scientology. My library has the book Going Clear and I'll be picking it up today.

I agree it would be interesting if Katie Holmes wrote a tell-all but it's doubtful it could happen.

I'm really curious what attracts people to Scientology.

Elise in NC

Really, in 2015 with so much information about them, what does draw people in? It used to be the promise of getting to the secret levels but there are no secrets anymore. Is it the celebrities??

It is mind-blowing to me that a man can write a religion and, 60 or so years later, it is worth millions (billions?) of dollars.

• Like 4

Really, in 2015 with so much information about them, what does draw people in? It used to be the promise of getting to the secret levels but there are no secrets anymore. Is it the celebrities??

It is mind-blowing to me that a man can write a religion and, 60 or so years later, it is worth millions (billions?) of dollars.

I agree... it boggles the mind.  Many years ago I knew someone whose dd joined Scientology.  By his own admission his daughter's life was pretty "messed up".  He was pretty happy with the results (she was only a couple of years in)... and said it seemed to put her on a positive path.   I was horrified and concerned, but have lost track and have no idea how it ended up.   I think there's definitely a lure for people who have pretty troubled childhood/lives... and celebrities often seem to fit that profile.  

A lot of the very early levels are straight-up hypnotism, that induces a sense of euphoria in the person. Several of their front-groups, like Narcanon (drug rehab), WISE (which promises to help businesses be more successful) and Craigslist ads for "Improve communication in your marriage!", among others, make zero mention of Scientology in the beginning, but are actually delivering those lower levels. You have an amazing, euphoric experience, and you want more.

• Like 1

I had a coworker who was a Scientology member. They lure people in with classes that are very helpful. I understand that their quit smoking program is amazing. I know Christians who have used it successfully, so I was shocked to read the Tom Cruise unauthorized biography and see what Scientology really is. Scary stuff.  

Thanks, Xuzi, for the video recommendations.

What really struck me was when he said, "Can you imagine the Church of England behaving like this?" Truly, if the Pope or any other major religious figure tried to pull half the stuff the Scientologists do, it would be front page news!

Thanks, Xuzi, for the video recommendations.

What really struck me was when he said, "Can you imagine the Church of England behaving like this?" Truly, if the Pope or any other major religious figure tried to pull half the stuff the Scientologists do, it would be front page news!

No kidding! Interrupting an interview to list off all the "sexual perversions" of the person being interviewed?? It's vile.

And check out the "LAX Ambush" video on You Tube of top church leaders confronting an ex-member (one of the ones who appears in Going Clear). It's just... no words.

• Like 2

thanks..I didn't see that.   $50 is a lot!! 

You can watch this one video for free (during the four or five day free trial) and then just call and cancel when you're done.  Just make sure you do call and cancel before the charge hits on day six.  :)  I've done a lot of things like this, calling to cancel when I was done and before I was charged. 

No kidding! Interrupting an interview to list off all the "sexual perversions" of the person being interviewed?? It's vile.

And check out the "LAX Ambush" video on You Tube of top church leaders confronting an ex-member (one of the ones who appears in Going Clear). It's just... no words.

going through a couple of the videos you recommended. 

• Like 1