Menu

How do I add review to Singapore?

talantine

My first grader just finished Singapore Primary Math 2A (US edition).  She understood the concepts easily as I taught them, but now that we are at the end of the book doing a review, she is shaky on some of it.

I think I need to build in some review as we go.  My son's books (he is in school) have a section of "Mixed Review" at the bottom of each workbook page.  Is this "spiraling"?  I think that is what she needs.

Is there an easy way to add this in with Singapore?  I can currently review what she is shaky on, but ongoing, I think I want to have a more regular review.  Or should I check out other curriculum?  We don't need easier or slower, just built in or easy to add in regular review.

As easy as it may be, I am not able to go hunting down worksheets to print myself or able to make up my own problems.  I have a toddler with health/developmental issues and it takes up my time and energy. 

Thanks for your help,

Tammie

I use the Standards edition, which has a lot of review throughout -- review at the end of each topic, plus a cumulative review. (I couldn't tell -- are you using both the text and workbook? I sometimes save the textbook reviews to come back to later.) I also add in ongoing review by using the Intensive Practice books a bit behind.

• Like 2

We are using Standards edition...so keep that in mind but...

I add spiral review to my son's Singapore work in a number of ways.  Every week, I schedule 2-3 days where he has 1-2 pages of review.  I make an ongoing list of the topics he's covered and then...when I sit down and plan out our trimester, I go down that list and choose topics to review.  

I purchased the Singapore Testbooks and that's a wonderful way to get review pages.  Especially since some of them are not just topical review but...mixed review of previous topics.  

I also mix in some IP pages. 

I'm not familiar with how the US textbook is set up but...in the Standards textbook, each chapter has a mixed review at the end of the chapter.  I often give that mixed review to my son as a "test".  

• Like 1

The Standards Edition has review after each chapter and better HIGs.

This. There is more built-in review in the Standards Edition than the US (not sure about the new CC). For my child it was a plus. Not so much reviews that it was "smothering" or boring, but enough to hit the sweet spot.

Also, using the IPs (Intensive Practice books) unaligned to the core books provides "review" with more challenging problems.

Bill

• Like 2

We also use Standards and my boys need additional review. We start every day with a review problem. I just make one up based on a concept I think they need to review. I also have older ds do a "Keys To" page in the afternoon now that we are in the higher levels to keep the material fresh.

We added in "Math Minutes" series. It runs a bit behind Singapore, but is quick easy mixed review. Also "Daily Mental Math" looks good too.

I've also just used challenging word problems and done three problems per day from different chapters as review.

I started with PM US ed. because that's what I had on hand when we hit a wall with another curriculum. I may try to switch to Standards for the next year so dd will have more review. For now, since we're nearly done 3B, I've bought Evan-Moor Daily Math Practice and will try to combine it with CWP. In the past we just did CWP after finishing a book but I think it will be helpful to have the variety of problems in Daily Math Practice and possibly hit things like estimating that she hasn't explicitly been taught before. I bought the fourth grade level based on the samples I saw.

Thanks, I will check out the standards version.  Is there any problem switching from US edition to standards edition from 2A to 2B?

Thanks!

I know that it's not generally advised to switch editions mid-level, but you could check the comparison of scope and sequence to decide if it might work in this case.

ETA: Actually, that comparison S&S wasn't very helpful, as it doesn't differentiate between A and B of each level. This one does.

This. There is more built-in review in the Standards Edition than the US (not sure about the new CC). For my child it was a plus. Not so much reviews that it was "smothering" or boring, but enough to hit the sweet spot.

Also, using the IPs (Intensive Practice books) unaligned to the core books provides "review" with more challenging problems.

Bill

CC has little to no review through level 1. Eta fixed level to 1 (through first grade). IDK how the other levels are.

I pick a random past topic from Challenging Word Problems or Intensive Practice. In the past I've added a page or two of review 2-3 times per week.

My current second grader does problems from Challenging Word Problems 1 every day in addition to her regular math. She has already done a good chunk of Intensive Practice working a semester to year behind.