Menu

LOE C & D (2nd grade) + grammar? writing?

celticadea

My dd can more or less read but struggles with syllables-even just hearing them,  multi letter vowel sounds, etc which is why we're going through LOE (B for the end of this year). She has all the tendencies/markers for dyslexia but is "too young for the official diagnosis". She generally enjoys reading and is almost through set 4 of the EPS (primary phonics). I didn't realize it before now but my phonics program (MP) doesn't explicitly teach the more complex part of phonics. It seems to come up in spelling later but by then they are supposed to reading. This may work for lots of kids but not her. 

I am planning to use LOE C & D for 2nd grade this fall. Would Shurley grammar be way too much? We had already planned to use Shurley before I found LOE but haven't bought it yet so it's not a huge deal. 

My dd is interested in Shurley because of the jingles ;)

I think that the LOE does grammar in D which is why i'm not sure about adding another grammar on top. 

As a secondary question, would you add writing yet or wait til she can "read" real books on her own without help?

I would not add grammar to LOE unless you/your kiddo are true grammar nuts and it would be enjoyable.  My DS7 adores grammar so I guess they pop up from time to time.  ;)

I would definitely not do a writing program with a kiddo that's not fluently reading.  That's just torture.  LOE includes copywork and dictation.  If she's interested you could do Bravewriter freewrites.  

My third kid is finishing up LOE B and will move into C this week. From what I can see, there is no grammar introduced. I have no experience with Shurley, but I will be starting FLL 1 with my girl about the time she'd move into D. I know FLL won't be too much as it's all oral and fun. If Shurley is gentle like that, I would go ahead with it. I wouldn't add in more writing beyond what's included in LOE C, though.

Grammar instruction is begun in C very lightly through copywork, and rounded out in D with explicit lessons on punctuation, parts of speech, what makes a complete sentence, ect. It's by no means a TON of grammar. You won't be diagramming sentences. But yes, grammar IS included.

(My oldest son did A-C and parts of an early version of D, before we decided to set it aside.)

Yes, from what I have read, there is more grammar in D.  I will be doing D with my DS6 in the fall for 1st grade.   Another option would be to add a "Story based" grammar -- like Sentence Family or Grammar Island.  This little grammar story is free right now for Kindle (I haven't read it yet):  http://amzn.com/B00UVTKJUG

There's also the Brian Cleary grammar books (my library has these) and the Ruth Heller books (I found these at the library too).

For writing, there is copywork and dictation in both C and D (It is a bit sparse in C, though I am assuming it will be more in D).  I think a good companion to that type of writing could be something like the projects in Jot it Down (I might use these with DS6 next year).  There are some books that appear often in the Scholastic Teacher Express Dollar Days sale that have similar projects. I had good intentions to use these with both boys this year but I haven't managed to implement them this year...hence why I might spring for Jot it Down.

Thanks for all your input! I'm relieved to hear your experiences. and one less program to do! yippee!

I hadn't expected copywork so that's great, too. We're finishing up MP's NAC I and I wasn't sure if I needed to continue with a handwriting program. I'll just add some copywork from her other subjects if she needs more practice. Next year isn't seeming so scary after all! :)

(wow! I hadn't realized how out of date my signature was. my oldest is finishing 1st and I have a new minion! haha!....off to fix that)

I found these replies helpful. My about-to-be-6 girl just started LOE C yesterday and we're probably going into D over the summer. I've been waffling about whether or not to use D but I think she needs more time before formal grammar and I really have no idea what we're going to do after LOE, I had an old copy of FLL but those lessons were just not working for us.

I really love how LoE is reading, spelling, handwriting and light grammar all in one and want something similar after D. Any of you ladies looking that far forward?

DD is in first grade. We completed LOE C and started LOE D a couple of weeks ago. I supplement LOE with ELTL book 1 and SWR's Wise Guide for spelling and dictation. I am not concerned about adding more grammar until we have completed LOE nor am I familiar with Shurley Grammar.

ETA: For writing, DD narrates through science subjects where I scribe, print up her work, and she inserts the narration into her animal journal.

DD (age 7.5) is in 1st grade and we started LOE C around a week ago.  We will most likely do LOE D starting in 2nd grade.  Our switch to LOE Foundations has made a big difference in her reading and I think has helped with speech articulation as well.  Following for ideas for next year as well.