Menu

Plans for next school year?

I bought the Lindamood-Bell LiPS and Seeing Stars manuals, Linguisystems C.A.S.T., and the Davis book "Gift of Dyslexia". Still debating about which specific Cued Speech training products to get but I do plan on learning CS.

I'm trying to hold off buying anything else until after the NP eval in June.

• Like 2

When I tried to talk to dd about making changes in her curriculum, she got upset and said she doesn't like changes. This year we continued most of what we had done the year before but some things really aren't going smoothly. It's frustrating.

That's a tough spot to be.  Can you maybe change just one thing that is not going well?  Perhaps slowly incorporate that one change?

• Like 2

All nt things really. I purchased a GC World History DVD set and picked up a Ways of the World text by Strayer to support it.

I haven't figured anything else out for DS. He's also looking at a science fair project that will dominate his time. Maybe SICC lev C for writing. DS is taking chemistry so we have to figure that one out. We need to get through this year first.

• Like 1

What are you thinking about for next year, One Step? I'm still making decisions. :)

Unless something drastically changes I will continue CLE with the kids and supplement with Beast Academy, Khan Academy and the MiF Enrichment books as needed/wanted.

DD will continue with Barton.  I don't know yet about DS.  Looking at High Noon, maybe.

As for everything else, DH wants to start a school.  I am not up to starting a school.  However, he and I both think DS needs collaboration, group projects, etc.  He thrives with other people and is not doing that well as a homeschooler with our current situation.  The co-op classes offered here are honestly pretty pathetic most of the time and they aren't terribly long, either.   DD doesn't need the interaction as much but she does like doing group projects and group science experiments.

I am considering doing a sort of University Model twice a week "school" where Science and History would be the subjects and mainly integrated.  Maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours each day, possibly twice a week, meeting 6-8 weeks in the Fall and again in the Spring.  Some reading and writing assignments would be done at home.  The 2 hour meeting times would be for experiments or projects and discussion, maybe presentations, brainstorming, etc.  Plus hopefully some down time to just hang out at the end of class, when possible.  I would keep it small, maybe 6 students at first.  Middle School to 9th grade level.

DH really wants to do something like this.  I don't yet know if I am up for this, especially since DD will be starting High School.  Still brainstorming and researching.

Even if we don't do this, DH and I are trying to look at the big picture and see where we can pull in more outside interests and give the kids a chance to really master skills in those areas.

• Like 3

For ds, almost 16, he is getting his neuropsych eval/testing  updated in May so we will see what that reveals and whether being on meds has changed anything.  Personally, while taking classes away has been beneficial in some ways, the constant running makes it difficult for me to accomplish much of anything with a teen who just wants to sleep late and not get an early start to get things finished before we have to leave. I did purchase AGS General Science and would like to do more with literature.  I think that we really need to get serious about life skills and I am looking for some resources for those types of things (handling money, filling out forms, keeping his room clean, taking initiative). We also want to evaluate over the next year whether or not we would begin the process for guardianship when he turns 17 next year.

For dd, who will turn 14 in a couple of months, we will again evaluate whether or not to use services from the ps.  We did not this year for many reasons and her IEP needs to be updated either way we decide.  I am assuming that would involve some testing by the ps. I would like to work more intentionally on spelling as it really stands out in her attempts to do any writing, along with constant reminders to use proper punctuation. She will continue with TT (she is doing level 5 now with good success). I also want to find something for science and history that would give her a good overview in spite of her lack of interest in either subject. And as with ds, she really needs work on life skills.

I don't think I will continue with tutoring for reading for either of them.  My greatest  concern recently is that the tutor is telling dd that she needs to read more challenging books.  She is currently reading at about a 4.6 level for enjoyment and has excitedly taken those books to show the tutor. My concern with that is that  last summer I was desperate to get her to read (posted here about it) and now she is doing that but not at a high enough level to satisfy the tutor.But still she is excited about her books. She felt badly, almost embarassed that her tutor did not share her excitement. I told her not to take them anymore.

I am open to any suggestions :001_smile:

• Like 6

That STINKS P A!!!  Absolutely I agree that a tutor that is not encouraging a child to read at the level they are excited and comfortable should be dumped.  These kids need ENCOURAGEMENT.  This stuff is HARD.  So sorry that she had to experience that.  Ugh!!!!

Gotta run but I will post more later....

• Like 4

Looking at High Noon again for DS...

I actually have Writing Strands (someone gave it to me) but we have not used it. I don't recall off the top of my head much about it. What do you think might work well with WS?

Not a clue. I cannot even recall where I found out about it from.

High Noon. My son is now reading early 5th grade level books. I swear by it. :)

• Like 1

Online classes and tutors have been working really well for us. I honestly should have tried online classes years ago. Older ds loves them and is able to express what he actually knows much better because it is all typed. He also really enjoys talking with the other students and is not intimidated by age differences online the way he is socially in person. I outsourced initially because ds and I were clashing over pre-teen hormones in a couple of subjects, but it ended up being a great choice for us (as much as it makes me sad in some ways because I would love to teach him all content, but this really is the best option for our relationship).

So, for older ds we will be doing at least 2-3 classes online. He will be taking writing with Home2Teach, math with Jann in Tx, and possibly science (I'm still waiting for class schedules and to see if experiments are included somehow).

Otherwise here is what I have so far:

Ds 11

Math - Pre-algebra 1 with Jann in Tx, Math Circles, math tutoring

Writing/Vocab/Grammar - Home2Teach

Spelling - AAS 6

Typing  - Keyboarding without Tears 5

Literature - Homemade centering around WWII themes, Number the Stars, The Diary of Anne Frank (still working on more here)

History - SOTW 4 (bumped up significantly in difficulty by history major mom)

Science - Programming tutoring, either online class or Holt Science & Technology, maybe some Coursera classes

Geography - U.S. Geography trails? National Geography Bee? Possibly a co-op class or homemade course (This is ds requested, still working this one out too.)

Ds 8/9

Math - BA 3D/4A-4C?, Math Circles, math tutoring

Writing - Singapore Sentences to Paragraphs 3-4, maybe Verticy Orange with Kidspiration or Home2Teach intro classes

Phonics - Rewards Intermediate

Spelling - AAS 3

Grammar - MCT Island

Typing - Keyboarding without Tears 3

Literature - Homemade, possibly MCT Alice, Mole Trilogy

History - SOTW 4, co-op class on Ancients

Science - Programming tutoring, co-op classes, maybe more?

If his typing level gets higher I will probably put him in online classes too like Athena's. I think he would enjoy them also.

Basically, I've accepted that my strengths are the areas that are going well and while I certainly will continue learning and growing in areas of weakness, at this point it is better, at least for my older ds, to bring in some experts and let them do the teaching. Plus, I really didn't anticipate how much hormones/brain fog/independence battles can change a homeschool and maintaining that relationship is very important through this phase. :)

• Like 3

That STINKS P A!!!  Absolutely I agree that a tutor that is not encouraging a child to read at the level they are excited and comfortable should be dumped.  These kids need ENCOURAGEMENT.  This stuff is HARD.  So sorry that she had to experience that.  Ugh!!!!

Gotta run but I will post more later....

Thanks, One Step!  We had to pay in advance and I am not quite sure how to handle it other than to keep praising dd for the great job she is doing.   We only have a few weeks left until she is finished. Dd already suffers from low self-esteem so this hasn't helped.

• Like 1

Unless something drastically changes I will continue CLE with the kids and supplement with Beast Academy, Khan Academy and the MiF Enrichment books as needed/wanted.

DD will continue with Barton.  I don't know yet about DS.  Looking at High Noon, maybe.

As for everything else, DH wants to start a school.  I am not up to starting a school.  However, he and I both think DS needs collaboration, group projects, etc.  He thrives with other people and is not doing that well as a homeschooler with our current situation.  The co-op classes offered here are honestly pretty pathetic most of the time and they aren't terribly long, either.   DD doesn't need the interaction as much but she does like doing group projects and group science experiments.

I am considering doing a sort of University Model twice a week "school" where Science and History would be the subjects and mainly integrated.  Maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours each day, possibly twice a week, meeting 6-8 weeks in the Fall and again in the Spring.  Some reading and writing assignments would be done at home.  The 2 hour meeting times would be for experiments or projects and discussion, maybe presentations, brainstorming, etc.  Plus hopefully some down time to just hang out at the end of class, when possible.  I would keep it small, maybe 6 students at first.  Middle School to 9th grade level.

DH really wants to do something like this.  I don't yet know if I am up for this, especially since DD will be starting High School.  Still brainstorming and researching.

Even if we don't do this, DH and I are trying to look at the big picture and see where we can pull in more outside interests and give the kids a chance to really master skills in those areas.

We joined an informal "co-op" of families this year, and we do something like this, but all the moms have something they teach or help with. This year, it's geography, anatomy, art/music (drawing lessons and handbells). We're hammering out next year. Next year I am teaching middle school lit, biology, and hitting on some study skills/notetaking, etc. Another mom is teaching elementary science (Forces and Motion) and literature/art. We all bring a sack lunch, and we're hoping next year that we can stay a bit after lunch so that the kids can do clubs of some kind--something interest-led that gives structure to the time but allows them to play and have fun together.

We all wanted something where we could control the amount of homework in co-op so that we could do school unhindered the rest of the week.

• Like 2

Writing - Singapore Sentences to Paragraphs 3-4, maybe Verticy Orange with Kidspiration or Home2Teach intro classes

Have you looked at samples of the Singapore writing books? My DS just finished up the 4th grade book. The 3rd & 4th grade Singapore books were a good bridge for him after MCT "Sentence Island" and WWE 1 before jumping into "Paragraph Town". But I'm not sure I would recommend them for kids with dyslexia or other language-based LD's. They're essentially just worktexts with minimal handholding, kind of like a higher-quality Spectrum Writing workbook.

Verticy Writing would be what I'd personally lean towards with a dyslexic even with the high pricetag.

• Like 1

Have you looked at samples of the Singapore writing books? My DS just finished up the 4th grade book. The 3rd & 4th grade Singapore books were a good bridge for him after MCT "Sentence Island" and WWE 1 before jumping into "Paragraph Town". But I'm not sure I would recommend them for kids with dyslexia or other language-based LD's. They're essentially just worktexts with minimal handholding, kind of like a higher-quality Spectrum Writing workbook.

Verticy Writing would be what I'd personally lean towards with a dyslexic even with the high pricetag.

Yes, this is actually my second time through using them. They work really well for us. Maybe because they are so visual? WWE did not work at all for us but Sentences to Paragraphs was recommended for both boys by the neuropsych and been great for my 2Es. I think we might be odd in this respect though.

• Like 1

My daughter (nearly 16) with develop delays (mild ID) :

Attainment Company's Teaching to Standards: Language Arts http://www.attainmentcompany.com/teaching-standards-english-language-arts 

OR (or possibly in addition to)

BraveWriter's Arrow and Partnership Writing:http://store.bravewriter.com/collections/language-arts-programs/products/the-arrow       http://store.bravewriter.com/collections/home-study-courses/products/partnership-writing

Spelling (probably All Abut Spelling)

Winterpromise's Adventures in the Sea and Sky http://winterpromise.com/adventures-sea-sky/

Will probably do this as well http://brookdalehouse.com/product-category/geography-drawing-series/   since she's done so well with the US geog one.

Attainment Company's Explore Budgeting http://www.attainmentcompany.com/explore-budgeting

and some kind of workbook to continue working on basic math skills

• Like 2

Yes, this is actually my second time through using them. They work really well for us. Maybe because they are so visual? WWE did not work at all for us but Sentences to Paragraphs was recommended for both boys by the neuropsych and been great for my 2Es. I think we might be odd in this respect though.

I don't believe that I have ever read a positive Verticy review outside their website.  I am curious to know what the particular strength of that program would be since it is recommended for dyslexics.

The Singapore materials seem like they would support what Dr. Haynes was teaching through his Speaking to Writing booklet.  Do the Singapore materials provide the supports?  

• Like 1

My 18 yo AS kiddo is graduating in May and will be living on campus at the college of his choice next fall. I am pretty scared about how all that will go, but it is time to let him try his wings. He is smart and awesome and AS. Can he handle the social situations? Can he stay organized? Will he decide his work isn't perfect and not turn it in? There are so many questions that I won't have when my youngest goes to college. 

Cross your fingers, say a prayer, send positive thoughts, whatever it is you do, I appreciate it all.

• Like 4

Thanks, One Step!  We had to pay in advance and I am not quite sure how to handle it other than to keep praising dd for the great job she is doing.   We only have a few weeks left until she is finished. Dd already suffers from low self-esteem so this hasn't helped.

Why can't you speak to the tutor privately and mention these issues? The tutor may not even realize there was an issue. 

• Like 1

I don't believe that I have ever read a positive Verticy review outside their website.  I am curious to know what the particular strength of that program would be since it is recommended for dyslexics.

The Singapore materials seem like they would support what Dr. Haynes was teaching through his Speaking to Writing booklet.  Do the Singapore materials provide the supports?  

We've done both of these programs in pieces so I can speak a bit to both. Verticy is actually designed for dyslexics, includes the Kidspiration software, and mostly works through the Diana Hanbury-King Writing Skills books. These are great for dyslexics in that they color-code organization, and break down the writing steps incrementally. My biggest problem with Verticy is that they essentially schedule a writing composition nearly every day once you get going for something like 100+ lessons, and that is just *too* much for my slow processor, for whom I would rather see less output (a composition a week maybe) with higher quality.

Personally, I do think that the Singapore materials provide the supports, at least it has been enough support for us. Both my kids are fairly verbal though, so in a lot of ways the biggest supports they need are organizational and visual, both of which we get in the Singapore workbooks. I do scribe for them because the physical act of writing would be too much for my dysgraphics. I also like how the Singapore books integrate grammar with writing because one of our biggest issues with separating out grammar has been that there is little to no retention because it isn't placed in context of bigger ideas, visuals, writing, etc. This would support Dr. Haynes' research as well.

• Like 2

Ok, that makes sense. I do agree that the Singapore writing books are highly visual and that's one reason why they've been good for my DS. WWE we did the copywork and I let him read the narration selections because my goal was to practice summarizing. Maybe not what SWB had in mind when she wrote WWE but it's my HS and I'm going to do what works for my own kids ;-)

• Like 1

My dh suggested to me that it was really ok for me not to go to the convention fully this year (just going for the vendor hall for a day), because it's really the first time where I'm just in my groove and don't need much.  

ds--quirky mixture of things for content (BJU videos, GEMS units, amazon prime videos, etc.), RB + Marilyn Burns for math, Barton

dd--I think we might read a bunch of Bill Bryson books next year.  She has diverse interests (middle english, history, literature, etc.) and I'm just thinking it's a good year to do that and rabbit trail off them.  Our science seems to be meshing (read quirky stuff, sooner or later do labs), so that will probably continue as the plan.  For math I'm doing BJU with her right now and will probably let her do some more TT.  Mainly BJU though, because it has to get done.  Done is the imperative thing. I was thinking I might try some EIL units on her.  I think she's finally ready for them.  I have one of the books so I can look through them and decide.  I'm just pretty content to let her continue enjoying learning and keep off the rat race.  She's doing a LOT of costuming right now, but I don't know how that will continue.  We'll see.

As for starting a school, it's as insane as you think it is.  Even just a co-op will be an INSANE amount of work, much more than you anticipate.  If you want him in school, give up and move somewhere with a school.  You know I'm just saying it straight.

• Like 1

We joined an informal "co-op" of families this year, and we do something like this, but all the moms have something they teach or help with. This year, it's geography, anatomy, art/music (drawing lessons and handbells). We're hammering out next year. Next year I am teaching middle school lit, biology, and hitting on some study skills/notetaking, etc. Another mom is teaching elementary science (Forces and Motion) and literature/art. We all bring a sack lunch, and we're hoping next year that we can stay a bit after lunch so that the kids can do clubs of some kind--something interest-led that gives structure to the time but allows them to play and have fun together.

We all wanted something where we could control the amount of homework in co-op so that we could do school unhindered the rest of the week.

This sounds great.  I wish I could get something like this started.  I am trying.  I would rather not go this alone, especially with two kids that still need help with what is becoming much more challenging material, KWIM?

• Like 1

My dh suggested to me that it was really ok for me not to go to the convention fully this year (just going for the vendor hall for a day), because it's really the first time where I'm just in my groove and don't need much.  

ds--quirky mixture of things for content (BJU videos, GEMS units, amazon prime videos, etc.), RB + Marilyn Burns for math, Barton

dd--I think we might read a bunch of Bill Bryson books next year.  She has diverse interests (middle english, history, literature, etc.) and I'm just thinking it's a good year to do that and rabbit trail off them.  Our science seems to be meshing (read quirky stuff, sooner or later do labs), so that will probably continue as the plan.  For math I'm doing BJU with her right now and will probably let her do some more TT.  Mainly BJU though, because it has to get done.  Done is the imperative thing. I was thinking I might try some EIL units on her.  I think she's finally ready for them.  I have one of the books so I can look through them and decide.  I'm just pretty content to let her continue enjoying learning and keep off the rat race.  She's doing a LOT of costuming right now, but I don't know how that will continue.  We'll see.

As for starting a school, it's as insane as you think it is.  Even just a co-op will be an INSANE amount of work, much more than you anticipate.  If you want him in school, give up and move somewhere with a school.  You know I'm just saying it straight.

I don't think I will be going to conventions this year.  I don't think I could get anything at a convention that I couldn't get on Amazon or through the library or one of the used book stores.  I am planning to go check the library for one of the homeschooling groups down here probably today or Thursday (only open on those days).  They have been really fun to attend.  I just don't see much need this year.  But hey, maybe next year I will try for the Cincy convention.  I am trying to plan to go see friends next year that are near the area... :)

As for starting  a school, yeah I pretty much thought "Uh....no way."  The two day a week Uni model thing seems like a lot of work, too, but if I could get with a couple of other families we might be able to pull it off.  I like what kbutton was posting.  Moving just isn't an option right now.  DH just signed a new contract.  We have to make things work where we are, at least for the moment....

My children require too much of me at this point to teach at a co-op. Once DS graduates, I expect that I will assume a leadership role of sorts. I have high expectations for people that deal with my children. After my experiences in the private classroom, I am extremely reluctant to turn my kids over to any person unless I know them well or they specialize with quantifiable training. My two exceptions are PE and Art classes.

OneStep, have you considered swapping classes? Say, you teach your strength while another mom teaches her strength? I have found that some students do not even complete their work or come prepared for classes. We left a co-op where no effort with outside classes seemed to be the culture of the families. DS, who is used to studying and completing his work, walked away from that experience with a dim view of his fellow homeschoolers. The co-op looks to be developing a sub co-op for serious high school students, and that is revealing in my view.

• Like 2

I don't think I will be going to conventions this year.  I don't think I could get anything at a convention that I couldn't get on Amazon or through the library or one of the used book stores.  I am planning to go check the library for one of the homeschooling groups down here probably today or Thursday (only open on those days).  They have been really fun to attend.  I just don't see much need this year.  But hey, maybe next year I will try for the Cincy convention.  I am trying to plan to go see friends next year that are near the area... :)

As for starting  a school, yeah I pretty much thought "Uh....no way."  The two day a week Uni model thing seems like a lot of work, too, but if I could get with a couple of other families we might be able to pull it off.  I like what kbutton was posting.  Moving just isn't an option right now.  DH just signed a new contract.  We have to make things work where we are, at least for the moment....

Oh my goodness, yes, come to Cincy!!!!   :party: 

Well I guess know your personality.  I know the people around here who organize a co-op put a LOT of energy into it (fundraisers, web design, teaching, etc.).  People are not magically better teachers just because they're teaching more kids.  Those other people wouldn't know disabilities.  Aren't you still working through Barton?  Do you REALLY want the distraction away from that?  I'd be figuring out how to implement the good of dh's idea (like his observation that your dc needs such and such) while not impeding your ability to do basic things that must happen (Barton, etc.).  Homeschooling IS hard.  You're probably getting into the horrible years.  Year 7 is the year that is supposedly the worst, the hump where you realize you're in this and it's no longer romantic.  Don't solve hump year by making your problems worse, kwim?  Me, I'd be telling him HE is welcome to start a uni school or whatever, as in HE can do it, that I wouldn't be lifting a FINGER, not a finger.  But I think I'm the one whose mother just wrote her saying don't worry, you always win.   :smilielol5:

• Like 1

My children require too much of me at this point to teach at a co-op. Once DS graduates, I expect that I will assume a leadership role of sorts. I have high expectations for people that deal with my children. After my experiences in the private classroom, I am extremely reluctant to turn my kids over to any person unless I know them well or they specialize with quantifiable training. My two exceptions are PE and Art classes.

OneStep, have you considered swapping classes? Say, you teach your strength while another mom teaches her strength? I have found that some students do not even complete their work or come prepared for classes. We left a co-op where no effort with outside classes seemed to be the culture of the families. DS, who is used to studying and completing his work, walked away from that experience with a dim view of his fellow homeschoolers. The co-op looks to be developing a sub co-op for serious high school students, and that is revealing in my view.

AMEN.  AMEN. AMEN.  Did I mention how right this is?  This is what happens.  One idiot teacher who has no clue and you have to go back and reteach.  Ok teacher but kid requires lots of support.  On and on and on.  This is reality.  Co-ops are set up for main-stream typically.  Kbutton is doing one that is *all* SN.  That is totally different and starts out with a different mindset.  

LOVE Heather's suggestions on swapping.  That can work, because you're keeping it tight.

You also don't realize how lovely it gets when your teen decides you're no longer the teacher, no longer important to listen to, but can't handle it themselves.  Oh yeah lovely.

• Like 3

AMEN.  AMEN. AMEN.  Did I mention how right this is?  This is what happens.  One idiot teacher who has no clue and you have to go back and reteach.  Ok teacher but kid requires lots of support.  On and on and on.  This is reality.  Co-ops are set up for main-stream typically.  Kbutton is doing one that is *all* SN.  That is totally different and starts out with a different mindset.  

LOVE Heather's suggestions on swapping.  That can work, because you're keeping it tight.

You also don't realize how lovely it gets when your teen decides you're no longer the teacher, no longer important to listen to, but can't handle it themselves.  Oh yeah lovely.

Chuckle, actually DD has been that way since birth.  Very much her father's daughter.  "Mom just give me a tiny piece of the puzzle then please leave me alone."  Heavy sigh.  Honey, I would if I could but you've been floundering and floundering.  Wouldn't this work better if we were a bit more collaborative?   :)  The toddler years were especially exciting.  She and DH just have this automatic skepticism of nearly anyone else.  You are assumed not to have a brain until you can prove that anything you say has value.....  They usually aren't rude about it, but the underlying attitude does affect things...

Honestly, DD would be fine with what we are doing now.  She gets interaction with being part of two Student Councils, drama class, 4-H, etc.  She chose not to take co-op classes this Spring since they were offering a class on playing board games or a class on ...I can't remember.  It was boring. :)  She's pretty happy with homeschooling right now, and her times to be alone and pursue her own interests.

DS is the issue and I am really trying hard to find ways to help the situation.  If his sister were more into discussion and collaboration and group projects I think it wouldn't be so hard for him.  She is not, though.  She tolerates doing some things together but has little interest in discussions with her brother.  I think part of it is that he has greater background knowledge in nearly every subject.  He absorbs information and makes connections very quickly.  It can be intimidating for her.  Plus, they have very little in common in regards to interests.  Everything he loves, she hates and vise a versa, KWIM?

But besides DS, DH really wants to improve the educational options here for more than just his own kid.  This is his hometown.  He recognizes how weak a lot of the options are for kids that don't fit into the ps box.  He is really fired up about getting a school together that offers something different.  I think it is a great idea and badly needed.  I just can't go down that path right now.  At least not as the main person.

• Like 1

Has your DH considered helping DS with Destination Imagination?

Sadly, much as DH loves DS, they are not compatible.  DH cannot stand discussions and collaboration and long talks.  DS thrives on learning that way.  DH cannot stand movement when he is concentrating on something or trying to teach something. DS needs movement.  

DS is currently in an Engineering robotics class once a week. He likes it.  

What he really really wants is classes with other kids (could be older) where there is lots of discussion and brainstorming and lots of history and politics and current events and scientific theory, etc.  Not happening so far.  I've tried starting clubs with this in mind.  No go.

My $2 AGS Chemistry textbook has been really cool, by the way. I had forgotten (or maybe never really learned) most of the stuff in here. I love that the more basic text means I can focus on the concepts instead of spending all my time trying to dig through the text. I dont plan to use it with the kids this next year but I think it will help me to teach them using whatever resource we end up with for IPC.

Every bright, ADHD child has that unsatisfiable hunger.  You can run yourself ragged trying to satisfy it.  It's called college. So tell him to focus on the basics, work hard, do interesting things in every moment of his free time, and he'll get to go there.   :)

• Like 3

Sadly, much as DH loves DS, they are not compatible.  DH cannot stand discussions and collaboration and long talks.  DS thrives on learning that way.  DH cannot stand movement when he is concentrating on something or trying to teach something. DS needs movement.  

DS is currently in an Engineering robotics class once a week. He likes it.  

What he really really wants is classes with other kids (could be older) where there is lots of discussion and brainstorming and lots of history and politics and current events and scientific theory, etc.  Not happening so far.  I've tried starting clubs with this in mind.  No go.

Too bad you are not relocating here. My older ds would love this too!

• Like 1

Every bright, ADHD child has that unsatisfiable hunger.  You can run yourself ragged trying to satisfy it.  It's called college. So tell him to focus on the basics, work hard, do interesting things in every moment of his free time, and he'll get to go there.   :)

See, that only goes so far with DS.  He is a VERY social creature and has been since birth.  DH is finally accepting that DS is not like DH and DD.  DS is not an introvert.  DH and DD get drained when they have to be around people too often or too long.  DS is the opposite.  He comes alive around people.  He morphs into this whole other person when he can be with others, discussing, sharing, brainstorming, whatever.  And when he can't be with people he becomes so down, depressed.   It honestly scares me how deeply depressed and withdrawn he can get when he hasn't had time with groups.  

I have found so many things for DD that include group discussion/group activities/etc..  There just isn't much of anything for DS and his age group.  Its like no one down here cares about the younger set.  Only the High Schoolers.  In 7th grade he will finally be old enough to do the stuff DD is doing.  He's too young right now.  Unfortunately, those things still won't be what he really wants to do, but at least he will have more options.

See, that only goes so far with DS.  He is a VERY social creature and has been since birth.  DH is finally accepting that DS is not like DH and DD.  DS is not an introvert.  DH and DD get drained when they have to be around people too often or too long.  DS is the opposite.  He comes alive around people.  He morphs into this whole other person when he can be with others, discussing, sharing, brainstorming, whatever.  And when he can't be with people he becomes so down, depressed.   It honestly scares me how deeply depressed and withdrawn he can get when he hasn't had time with groups.  

I have found so many things for DD that include group discussion/group activities/etc..  There just isn't much of anything for DS and his age group.  Its like no one down here cares about the younger set.  Only the High Schoolers.  In 7th grade he will finally be old enough to do the stuff DD is doing.  He's too young right now.  Unfortunately, those things still won't be what he really wants to do, but at least he will have more options.

Oh, that is frustrating.

And our co-op is more of a moms sharing their strengths thing (and a grand experiment!). Maybe you can find an enrichment program for your son that is self-contained. We do this part of the year. No homework. It's just whatever the class is for six weeks (2 hours each time they meet for six Saturdays).

• Like 1

OneStep, is he doing scouting or sports?

For various reasons neither has been a good option (scouting was something I was REALLY hoping for but of the two possible options, the really good possibility is 45 min.  away and the other one, unfortunately, includes several neighbor boys that have been terribly unkind to DD and DS since we started homeschooling).  

However, I AM looking into an organization that is similar to Boy Scouts....I would have to start a chapter here, but it doesn't seem that hard to do.  

DS is in a swim club, now, (as of January) and has won a 1st place and two 2nd place medals in swim competitions, which has been great for his self-esteem and also his coordination.  But there really isn't an opportunity to visit, share, discuss, etc.  

• Like 1

House across the street just sold.  My plan for this next year is that another homeschooling family will move in within the next few weeks.  They will have several children, at least two of whom will match perfectly in personality with my own kids, but hopefully the whole brood.  Over the summer we will all bond and find we have many things in common.  By fall, they will be on board with my weekly history/science classes and Mom/Dad of the other family will be able to help with the work.  We will become life long friends and will stay in contact until the end of our days.  Working out the schedule on Excel now...

Seriously, though, I HAVE had a couple of fantasies ever since the for sale sign went up.   :lol:  

• Like 10

Older ds (8th):

math: Chalkdust Algebra I.  He started this a few weeks ago when he finished pre-algebra. He really likes the video instruction component.  I like having complete answers to odd numbered problems and being able to pause when we need more time to work on stuff. Sometimes we need to spend a bit of time in Khan Academy to keep reinforcing previously learned stuff. We might finish Algebra I before the end of the year, but I am trying not to rush things but instead make sure that the skills are staying in his brain.

english:

-------grammar: Voyages in English 8: Quick, fast, thorough. He just wants to do it and get it done. Fine, he needs to save his brain power for other stuff.

-------composition: Writing with Skill 2: He still needs a lot of support here. If this bombs, we are going back to IEW materials. He is being stretched with having to read, pull out the relevant information, and stick it into the desired format. He did well with IEW, but I like WWS2 more, and I feel like he is growing more academically with WWS2. We'll see.

--------reading: big old stack of books. He has the physical ability to read for hours, and we are just doing the questions that SWB lays out in WTM and in her audio lectures

science: Prentice Hall Science Explorer Physical Science + Thames & Kosmos Physics Pro & other kits: he loves the text and workbook format. This is easy for him, so we are going to work on taking actual tests without notes this year and see how this goes. He has really bombed that in the past, in part because he is still working on taking notes/study skills

history: don't know....I am playing around with the idea of using parts of Omnibus I but sometimes I think we should do the WTM read/1 pg essay thing..... Ds can read and understand complex material and wants to read a lot---it's the gap with output that is the major issue. I'm worried that too much writing here can throw off WWS above (too much brain power required), so I just need to sit down with ds and chat. I can't stretch him in EVERY area.

technology: kid wants to work on programming skills. I need to buy some books and just let him run with this for an hour a day. 

Younger ds:

math: waiting to see if he gets the official dyscalculia label and to see what the neuropsych's recs are.  I suspect we are going to go back to our usual mix of Ronit Bird, me scribing singapore math, and a lot of manipulatives work....but I'm going to bring my stack of options in and discuss things with neuropsych. At some point, ds needs to move towards more independence, and I'm just not sure how to get there because of the glitches we are working with.

handwriting: HWT & OT 

composition: no clue....probably IEW SWI-A

grammar: Voyages in English 4

reading: stack of books

spelling: AAS3 we are a tiny bit behind here, but the tile work has been great!

history: SOTW4 on audio+ activity guide activities 

science: NOEO? I'm not sure, but we are studying physical science & doing a ton of experiments with my older son

We are going to add some other stuff in as well (including cub scout merit badge work), but those are our basics. I am working on having him become more independent as right now, I'm scribing a ton, and I have three other kids who need me. He likes hands-on stuff, so I'm trying to find a happy balance of having him engaged in productive educational activities even when I can't be right there with him.

I suspect a ton of OT and PT are in our future with him, so I don't want to overburden his schedule either. He is going to need some down time.

• Like 3

Does anyone have a good suggestion for something DS could do that has a 7th grade label on it?  Like over the summer?  I realize that may sound odd.  DS is intellectually pretty ahead of grade level in many ways but he is working behind grade level in math (catching up though) and his Language Arts material is levels not grade levels.  He wants something that he can do that SAYS it is at a higher grade level.  I think he needs a self-esteem boost.  He KNOWS he is smart, but he feels like maybe he really isn't.  I'm just trying to find something we could add to the mix that gives him a boost.  I am not a big textbook fan, but I guess I could look at textbooks.  He loves Ancient History.  Any suggestions there?