Menu

Close reading--do you do this with your kids? If you do, can you tell me a little about how you implement it?

The first I'd ever heard of this was last year, but apparently it's been around for awhile. I can't quite wrap my head around it. Some things I read made it sound like it's really something best reserved for high school and that you're teaching students to pick a text apart practically word by word. But then other things I read talked about doing it with young elementary students, and I can't imagine that looks the same way it would in the high school-level examples I read.

If you do this with your kids, of any age, can you tell me what it looks like in your house? Do you actually have your kids read the same book more than once (one article I read said this was the hallmark of close reading). I've never heard of anything like it before, and it's definitely not something I ever did in school, but I consider my education in literature to have been very poor (at least I got the good math teachers though :lol:). I'm considering implementing with my oldest in some way, but I can't see how I could teach this skill without it being a dry and miserable thing (something we already struggle with here). Are there middle school/high school lit resources that help or guide the teacher in doing this? 

Thank you!