Menu

"That was the fanciest sentence I ever heard, and I used to watch Frasier“

poppy

So who is watching The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt ?

What a fascinating show: smart, funny, weird, colorful, cheery but about a trauma survivor.

I was floored when she said they did "weird sex stuff in the bunker" very early on.

But it somehow works. Mostly. I cringed at a few things ....but I was never bored . And I found it to be clever, particularly about women and the media and pop culture.

I really wanted to use a quote from the theme song for the thread title , but it is just a little too vulgar. But I really do like the theme song. It's stuck in my head.

• Like 2

I haven't seen it yet, and it might be a few weeks before I get the opportunity.  I take it from what is mentioned that it probably isn't quite appropriate for tweens and young teens, right?  Make it one of the shows I watch when the kids aren't there to watch with me?

I haven't seen it yet, and it might be a few weeks before I get the opportunity.  I take it from what is mentioned that it probably isn't quite appropriate for tweens and young teens, right?  Make it one of the shows I watch when the kids aren't there to watch with me?

It's 97% pop culture absurdity, 30 Rock style- and 3% "this woman is a rape/trauma survivor, but that doesn't define her". I think it'd be fine for teens but definitely not kids. Watch the extended version of the theme song to get a sense of it.  The cursing it kept to a network-tv level.

That one, and several other "Songified" interviews, usually with the subject of women in trouble.

I also remembered there is a funny but very ribald song later in the series called Pinot Noir.  The song itself isn't actually explicit.... it's just a series of nonsensical rhymes for the term (Pinot Noir! Roseanne Barr! Tom Berenger!) but the song, and series, is for adults.  Honestly, there is a whole bunch of jokes based on the fact that Kimmy's been locked up since the 90s, so much of the humor would go over kids heads.  One early storyline hinges on her recognizing a plotline from a Babysitters Club book, for example. 

Dh and I loved watching that show. Titus made the show for us. He had all the best lines. I hated Tina Fey on it though. She's a great writer but I actually thought her character and the other lawyer were too ridiculous for the show.the main cast was great though

Dh and I loved watching that show. Titus made the show for us. He had all the best lines. I hated Tina Fey on it though. She's a great writer but I actually thought her character and the other lawyer were too ridiculous for the show.the main cast was great though

The whole show is absurd and over the top (which is also why I don't really get the comments about its being insensitive to kidnapping victims). I didn't think they were out of place at all.

They alive dammit!

I wondered if they actually hired the Rib Guy to be in the show, but I never followed through and researched that thought.

The funniest thing for me is to watch my 14-year-old son watch the show. He just cackles. He Mormon-swears like they do in the show anyway so he can relate.

The whole show is absurd and over the top (which is also why I don't really get the comments about its being insensitive to kidnapping victims). I didn't think they were out of place at all.

Oh I know it's absurd but I just thought Tina fey was awful in it. Maybe it's her acting I don't like. I always end up thinking she should just stick to writing. Even in 30 rock she was my least favorite character but I could never figure out why.

"Your references are not universal." We are loving this show. It is funny, smart and full of 90's references. We have not finished, but I am really hoping there is a second season. We love a show where every line counts. 

I think they credit the guy from the Ohio girls' rescue as inspiration, but there was a guy from 2010 that is my first memory of the songified interview. Google Antonie Dodson for the interview and subsequent song. 

• Like 1

Oh I know it's absurd but I just thought Tina fey was awful in it. Maybe it's her acting I don't like. I always end up thinking she should just stick to writing. Even in 30 rock she was my least favorite character but I could never figure out why.

I <3 Liz Lemon. I think this is one of the most offensive posts I've ever read on this forum! ;)